21-man squad v Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

21-man squad v Hull FC

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam names the Wigan 21-man squad to face Hull FC in Saturday’s Betfred Challenge Cup Quarter Final.

One change as Dom Manfredi comes into the 21.

Hull FC v Wigan Warriors, Saturday 8th May, Emerald Headingley Stadium, K.O. 2:30pm.

Adrian Lam has named the Wigan Warriors 21-man squad to face Hull FC in Saturday’s Betfred Challenge Cup Quarter Final (K.O. 2:30pm).

The tie will take place at Leeds’ Emerald Headingley Stadium as the first of two games in a double header, the other being Castleford Tigers v Salford Red Devils (K.O. 5pm).

After narrowly beating the Black and Whites last Thursday in their Betfred Super League fixture, Wigan will hope to book their place in the cup competition’s Semi Finals with victory this weekend.

Team news

Winger Dom Manfredi returns to the 21 this week having not featured so far in 2021 due to a hand injury.

Prop forward Tony Clubb has been handed a Grade F charge (Unacceptable language based on national or ethnic origin) and will serve the first of an eight match ban this weekend. Full statement HERE.

Injury news

Olivert Gildart misses out once more as he recovers from a groin injury which has kept the centre out of action in 2021 so far.

Tommy Leuluai is again unavailable due to a sternum injury picked up in Wigan’s Round 3 win over Leeds Rhinos in April.

Jai Field remains sidelined after suffering a torn hamstring in Round 1 against Leigh Centurions.

Liam Marshall continues his recovery from an anterior cruciate ligament injury (knee) sustained in September 2020.

21-man squad to face Hull FC

1. Bevan French
2. Dom Manfredi
3. Zak Hardaker
8. Brad Singleton
9. Sam Powell
10. Joe Bullock
11. Willie Isa
12. Liam Farrell
13. John Bateman
14. Oliver Partington
15. Morgan Smithies
19. Liam Byrne
20. Harry Smith
21. Ethan Havard
22. Jake Bibby
23. Mitch Clark
25. Joe Shorrocks
28. Sam Halsall
29. James McDonnell
30. Umyla Hanley
31. Jackson Hastings

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/05/ ... hull-fc-2/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: 21-man squad v Hull FC

Post by josie andrews »

Hull FC Squad

Brett Hodgson is forced into three changes with Jake Connor and Brad Fash suspended, and Scott Taylor having picked up a foot injury.

On the plus side, Josh Reynolds and Manu Ma’u are back in contention after recovering from respective hamstring and calf problems, while young fullback Connor Wynne is recalled from a loan spell at York.

Bureta Faraimo (suspended), Josh Bowden (elbow), Masi Matongo (knee) and Jamie Shaul (ACL) remain unavailable.

21-man squad:

3 Carlos Tuimavave, 4 Josh Griffin, 5 Mahe Fonua, 6 Josh Reynolds, 7 Marc Sneyd, 9 Danny Houghton, 10 Chris Satae, 11 Andre Savelio, 12 Manu Ma’u, 13 Ligi Sao, 14 Jordan Johnstone, 15 Joe Cator, 16 Jordan Lane, 19 Ben McNamara, 20 Jack Brown, 21 Adam Swift, 23 Connor Wynne, 24 Cameron Scott, 26 Jude Ferreira, 27 Mitieli Vulikijapani, 28 Harvey Barron.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/hull-fc- ... ils-39158/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Coliflower

Post by Coliflower »

No prizes for guessing Hull tactics in this one. Given the weather forecast they will be reviewing the videos of our Leeds match last Cup campaign.
Sneyd practising kicks to the corner and kick chase wound up.
Hopefully Hicks referees the offside rule and we can get out of the corners this time !
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I would pick a back 5 of: French - Bibby - Isa - Hardaker - Manfredi as they would bomb French to death on the wing with Reynolds back. Frees Faz to go back into the pack...
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

They will also bomb Bibby - he's very suspect under the high ball when he doesn't have lots of time and space to deal with it. Looks like we need either to double up in defence (which can be risky on the last tackle) or nominate someone different to deal with the high ball.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Southern Softy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:39 pm They will also bomb Bibby - he's very suspect under the high ball when he doesn't have lots of time and space to deal with it. Looks like we need either to double up in defence (which can be risky on the last tackle) or nominate someone different to deal with the high ball.
I have not seen this, French has spilled more bombs than Bibby.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I would be extremely disappointed if we didn’t progress beyond this round.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:01 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:39 pm They will also bomb Bibby - he's very suspect under the high ball when he doesn't have lots of time and space to deal with it. Looks like we need either to double up in defence (which can be risky on the last tackle) or nominate someone different to deal with the high ball.
Last season Bibby had one match where he dropped everything and others where he tended not to commit to take the ball Last week he opted out of taking the ball on the full. It bounced badly and we potentially were in trouble.
I would hope that training sessions have worked on it as with any other perceived weakness but I'm not sure I feel that confident about it. It would be a pity as his attack is coming on very well, a lot of wingers wouldn't have scored the try that he did last week. I imagine that he will be on the left wing, Dom on the right (if fit), French at FB and JB, Zak and Isa- well who knows?
Shows the problem that we will have when everyone's fit.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Southern Softy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:42 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:01 pm
Last season Bibby had one match where he dropped everything and others where he tended not to commit to take the ball Last week he opted out of taking the ball on the full. It bounced badly and we potentially were in trouble.
I would hope that training sessions have worked on it as with any other perceived weakness but I'm not sure I feel that confident about it. It would be a pity as his attack is coming on very well, a lot of wingers wouldn't have scored the try that he did last week. I imagine that he will be on the left wing, Dom on the right (if fit), French at FB and JB, Zak and Isa- well who knows?
Shows the problem that we will have when everyone's fit.
same as french last week then
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Is this match on the BBC today?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.