21-man squad v Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: 21-man squad v Hull FC

Post by fozzieskem »

I’m just not surprised at the result.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Lams the problem for me ,he hasn't progressed this team one iota in his time here,he has no tactics or plan or discernable pattern of play and he hasn't a clue what his best team is or how to set em up.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

And why has Harry Smith not been kicking as we have known for a long time he is an excellent kicker just bad coaching decisions as he didnt have the bottle to tell Hardaker to release the job to Smith .
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ddtftf wrote:We have too many bad days at the office for a Wigan team Rads needs to pull his finger out or let someone else buy players
It’s IL who holds the purse strings but there is also too much loyalty to players who should have retired or moved on. Lockers went on far too long. The new contract for Clubb was unwarranted and bonkers for a player his age and Powell proved today (again) why the club’s apparent loyalty to,him is misplaced. He offered absolutely nothing in attack from dummy half.

Players like Lockers, Clubb, Powell and even TL would have been moved on way before now in the past. It’s no use blaming the salary cap saying we can’t do that as there younger and better players running around in SL in these positions.

In my opinion it’s a matter of philosophy. The Wigan of old was always looking to improve and so would if offered (or found) a better player move the likes of Powell on. I am convinced if that happened today they would say “no thanks” and aren’t even looking.

There is no room for loyalty at the pro level in sport. When a player like Clubb’s contract is coming to an end the first thing the club should be doing is looking to replace a player of his age. If they can’t for whatever reason all he would warrant is a one year deal or rolling contract. If the player didn’t like it and could find another club offering better, let him leave.
HDS

Post by HDS »

Very poor performance today, no regard for the conditions. as I have said previously why is Harry Smith not kicking the goals.

Why is Joe Bullock not starting? When AL first came to Wigan he said he would improve the Half Backs, after all Shaun was a prop. Perhaps he should get some advice of Shaun about who and how to play a Front Row.

Zac was poor today which is unusual for him and that is not down to coaching.

Pleased for Dom Manfredi he looked fit and sharp. Good to see you back Dom!!!
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

moto748 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:04 pm Yeah, and it's a bit annoying. But it isn't the reason Wigan lost this game.

We need to think less about Hull FC and more about the form of our own players. Our main men: Hastings, French, Hardaker, Smith, even, they all had stinkers to some extent.
I would take Smith out of that list but to be fair they had no platform to play from.
Flash

Post by Flash »

moto748 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:04 pm Yeah, and it's a bit annoying. But it isn't the reason Wigan lost this game.

We need to think less about Hull FC and more about the form of our own players. Our main men: Hastings, French, Hardaker, Smith, even, they all had stinkers to some extent.
Appreciate it :D If only it weren't true. That game was crying out for a leader capable of taking the game by the scruff of the neck. Unfortunately no one on the field was up to the task.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:33 pm
The booze hound wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:30 pm I'll have to say it, French's knock on under the sticks under no pressure at all is unforgivable and I also think he should have done better in the last seconds of the GF.
Which is why he is in SL.

However it's only when he was at fullback that we had any attack.

The kick through to manfredi and then failed last attack play where the only bits of teeth we showed all game.

Him and hardaker should share the role with one moving in if the other is struggling to make an impact like today.
I disagree, Bevan either plays fullback or not at all. You need wingers to make yards from kicks and he doesn’t. Having said that he is totally different class with the ball in his hand, so Zak to centre or out of the team for me.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

DaveO wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:23 pm
ddtftf wrote:We have too many bad days at the office for a Wigan team Rads needs to pull his finger out or let someone else buy players
It’s IL who holds the purse strings but there is also too much loyalty to players who should have retired or moved on. Lockers went on far too long. The new contract for Clubb was unwarranted and bonkers for a player his age and Powell proved today (again) why the club’s apparent loyalty to,him is misplaced. He offered absolutely nothing in attack from dummy half.

Players like Lockers, Clubb, Powell and even TL would have been moved on way before now in the past. It’s no use blaming the salary cap saying we can’t do that as there younger and better players running around in SL in these positions.

In my opinion it’s a matter of philosophy. The Wigan of old was always looking to improve and so would if offered (or found) a better player move the likes of Powell on. I am convinced if that happened today they would say “no thanks” and aren’t even looking.

There is no room for loyalty at the pro level in sport. When a player like Clubb’s contract is coming to an end the first thing the club should be doing is looking to replace a player of his age. If they can’t for whatever reason all he would warrant is a one year deal or rolling contract. If the player didn’t like it and could find another club offering better, let him leave.
Spot on Dave things are to cosy,Jackson Hastings was a far better player under Watson than he is under Lam because there's no plan.its jobs for the boys starting with Radlinski.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:41 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:33 pm
The booze hound wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:30 pm I'll have to say it, French's knock on under the sticks under no pressure at all is unforgivable and I also think he should have done better in the last seconds of the GF.
Which is why he is in SL.

However it's only when he was at fullback that we had any attack.

The kick through to manfredi and then failed last attack play where the only bits of teeth we showed all game.

Him and hardaker should share the role with one moving in if the other is struggling to make an impact like today.
I disagree, Bevan either plays fullback or not at all. You need wingers to make yards from kicks and he doesn’t. Having said that he is totally different class with the ball in his hand, so Zak to centre or out of the team for me.
+1