21-man squad v Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: 21-man squad v Hull FC

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:26 pm Here we go again! 6 wins on the bounce, then the first defeat and it's "Doomed, we're all doomed".

First, credit to Hull. They'll be challenging for more than the cup if they continue the improvement under Hodgson.

Secondly, mistakes pretty much cost us the game. Liam Byrne is a young lad with huge potential, but (with hindsight) not sure that starting him was a great idea. Hardaker needs better advice about what he says to the press - a week or two off may be a good idea - but he's been superb before last week.

Third, we've progressed under Lam. One mistake-ridden loss doesn't make him a bad coach.

I'd hate to be in the trenches with people who panicked at the first setback.
This comment would have more credence if we had played well in those 6 games we won - which let’s face it we haven’t. I think we’ve had 1/2 good performances the other games we were probably lucky to get away the W

Our issue is momentum- we can’t generate it our wingers at the moment aren’t big or strong enough to do that job, the other way you can generate momentum is a fast hooker and Powell seems to be getting even slower there was a part in that game he scooted from dummy half and the hull defence was all over the place but he’s so slow they got back and set and back at him before he’d made progress. Even his passing is slow he passes like a Union player from a ruck it’s like he has to set his whole body before he throws a pass

Barnstorming forwards are nice to have but not our biggest requirement - we need bigger more powerful wingers and a better hooker - we’ve needed a better hooker for umpteen seasons now

And for all those “the coaches pick him and they know more” notice how wane has never even cast a glance his way since he took on England yet some on here think he’s a top player
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Like the last couple of posters I'm very disappointed with today's performance but there are some points that may suggest that season isn't a write off yet. When (if?) we get Gilly and Marshy fit we can re-jig the backline and we'll be more of a threat in attack. Let's be honest, Faz and Isa have done well at centre but they're never going to be good enough in attack against the top teams. With them in the backrow some of the young lads can be given a break occasionally. Despite a great start to the season, Zak has now made it easier to move Bevan back to fullback and he's now had a couple of game to improve his fitness. Tommy will add something when he returns although we must keep giving Smith game time if we're going to rely on him next season. If it doesn't put too much pressure on him let Harry kick goals when Zak is struggling, We could even let Smith kick from the right and Zak from the left if it works best. If Smith continues to progress Tommy and Powell can be rotated at 9 which would reduce wear and tear long term. We can't keep playing Powell for 80 mins each week and expect him to last the season intact. Great to see Dom back today, let's hope he stays fit. I'm still not certain about Lammy but he's here for know and we still have time to get another prop so all is not lost just yet.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:26 pm Here we go again! 6 wins on the bounce, then the first defeat and it's "Doomed, we're all doomed".

First, credit to Hull. They'll be challenging for more than the cup if they continue the improvement under Hodgson.

Secondly, mistakes pretty much cost us the game. Liam Byrne is a young lad with huge potential, but (with hindsight) not sure that starting him was a great idea. Hardaker needs better advice about what he says to the press - a week or two off may be a good idea - but he's been superb before last week.

Third, we've progressed under Lam. One mistake-ridden loss doesn't make him a bad coach.

I'd hate to be in the trenches with people who panicked at the first setback.
Progressed how under Lam?

I’m of the school that all coaches have a shelf life 3 at beat 4 years with an exception such as Wane so for me Lams time should be coming to an end soon regardless of how well they’re playing.

When Wigan win it’s in spite of not because of Lams tactics or at time just plain weird team selections it’s in spite of them.

But completely agree with you over Hull Hodgson has made a huge and imediate impact as coach
moto748

Post by moto748 »

DaveO wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:40 pm
Progressed under Lam? You have got to be joking. Today’s performance was right out of the same coaching manual that had seen us lose every big game he’s coached. He’s been out coached in every single big game.
[/quote]

There's no getting away from this. Funnily enough, i watched the first half of the Canberra game, but paused it at half-time to watch Wigan in real time. Then after the match watched the rest of the Raiders, only to see them tamely capitulate (again!) in the second half. An unpleasant mirror-image. but in both cases, I think, a coach all at sea.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:10 pm For me Lam has been here 3 years even if Wigan win the grand final it’s time for a change of coach.

That was abysmal this afternoon,as others have said Hastings while still one of the better players isn’t on the same level he was at Salford with Watson coaching him,young Smith should be kicking on in his overall progress but to me a lot of it is hit and hope with him,surely Lam should be giving him the attention he needs in his education of the game.

Others have mentioned the signings the club have made,Clark let him go or play him but why was he signed? And we can talk all day over the disasterous signing of Burgess what was going on there it didn’t make any sense and given Clubb was a fading force 2 years ago the props that are left have been exposed now Flower has gone.
Why did Wayne say he wanted to go back to club coaching after the world cup. Even as you say we win the gf it will build Lam as a coach and an NRL club will be calling. If Wayne did not have a gig after the WC then why rule himself out of Wire job. Said before he will be here next season.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

thegimble wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:49 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:10 pm For me Lam has been here 3 years even if Wigan win the grand final it’s time for a change of coach.

That was abysmal this afternoon,as others have said Hastings while still one of the better players isn’t on the same level he was at Salford with Watson coaching him,young Smith should be kicking on in his overall progress but to me a lot of it is hit and hope with him,surely Lam should be giving him the attention he needs in his education of the game.

Others have mentioned the signings the club have made,Clark let him go or play him but why was he signed? And we can talk all day over the disasterous signing of Burgess what was going on there it didn’t make any sense and given Clubb was a fading force 2 years ago the props that are left have been exposed now Flower has gone.
Why did Wayne say he wanted to go back to club coaching after the world cup. Even as you say we win the gf it will build Lam as a coach and an NRL club will be calling. If Wayne did not have a gig after the WC then why rule himself out of Wire job. Said before he will be here next season.
I doubt Wane,even though he’s said he wants to return to club rugby will be back at Wigan (yes I know it’s in the club DNA to bring people back)but I just don’t see it,as to why he turned the wire job down did he even have an interview ?

As for Lam not once has the NRL come sniffing for him,even in Holbrook first full season there was talk of him going back,Lam is at best an assistant coach in the NRL for me at least
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

if Wanes back next season my season ticket is done,simple.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:53 pm

I doubt Wane,even though he’s said he wants to return to club rugby will be back at Wigan (yes I know it’s in the club DNA to bring people back)but I just don’t see it,as to why he turned the wire job down did he even have an interview ?

As for Lam not once has the NRL come sniffing for him,even in Holbrook first full season there was talk of him going back,Lam is at best an assistant coach in the NRL for me at least
I agree on Lam.

If Wire had ambition who do you pick. A coach who won very little. Or the most successful coach of the last decade. I can not even imagine Wire did not approach him.

There is going to be a lot of movement in the NRL nest seaon who knows Wayne could replace Madge again.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Mickw wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:59 pm

Yeah who wants a trophy winning coach at wigan :?:
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Mickw wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:59 pm

you wouldnt renew under Wane? but would under Lam :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: