21-man squad v Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: 21-man squad v Hull FC

Post by fozzieskem »

For me Lam has been here 3 years even if Wigan win the grand final it’s time for a change of coach.

That was abysmal this afternoon,as others have said Hastings while still one of the better players isn’t on the same level he was at Salford with Watson coaching him,young Smith should be kicking on in his overall progress but to me a lot of it is hit and hope with him,surely Lam should be giving him the attention he needs in his education of the game.

Others have mentioned the signings the club have made,Clark let him go or play him but why was he signed? And we can talk all day over the disasterous signing of Burgess what was going on there it didn’t make any sense and given Clubb was a fading force 2 years ago the props that are left have been exposed now Flower has gone.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:14 pm I’m just not surprised at the result.
Me neither fozzie. Sadly I even expected it once I knew the weather forecast

Our best front row partnership of Bullock and Singleton split up - for what? What coach worth their salt changes a line-up that's working? Has them playing split shifts opposite to one another to negate their starting impact!!!

Then compounds it giving the captaincy to someone with only 12 months playing time left at the club is more crass stupidity. Should be looking long term, not a "quick fix" then face the same problem a year later

Recruitment? What recruitment. Club let plenty go and Signed a player who will probably miss the entire season! This did NOT leave the team in a stronger/better position. Honestly can see this side going out at the play-offs because the forwards make no yards and our spine relies too much on the teams fitness/individual brilliance rather than quality of team play
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Having watched all of our games this year, this performance was predictable, but I still think we will get plenty of enjoyment from watching our side this year. Our Achilles heel is that we are at least one big lad short of a team that can win in all weather, and in all ways. Without that, we can’t get enough go forward for long enough to free up space for the backs. The Burgess gamble spectacularly back fired, and if we can find someone with that amount of presence we will do very well.

In a (sad) way, Zak’s implosion makes selection easier. It was fantastic to see Manfredi not just back, but already making an impact. Having him and Gildart back in the next couple of weeks (and winter finally behind us) will leave us perfectly placed to win a lot of games in style this year. And with every week, Smithies, Havard, Shorrocks and Partington will be closer to finished articles. In this salary cap world, you have to choose how to invest and I like it that we have those, and Smith, all of whom will only get better.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:14 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:14 pm I’m just not surprised at the result.
Me neither fozzie. Sadly I even expected it once I knew the weather forecast

Our best front row partnership of Bullock and Singleton split up - for what? What coach worth their salt changes a line-up that's working? Has them playing split shifts opposite to one another to negate their starting impact!!!

Then compounds it giving the captaincy to someone with only 12 months playing time left at the club is more crass stupidity. Should be looking long term, not a "quick fix" then face the same problem a year later

Recruitment? What recruitment. Club let plenty go and Signed a player who will probably miss the entire season! This did NOT leave the team in a stronger/better position. Honestly can see this side going out at the play-offs because the forwards make no yards and our spine relies too much on the teams fitness/individual brilliance rather than quality of team play
I agree that it was a massive error not to start with Bullock, though we did score first. I know you are cross, but poor Field pulled a hamstring, we didn’t sign him with a long term injury. From what I have seen, we will plenty of games this year, and our priority on youth will pay off either by the end of the year or the start of next. I am delighted we are spending on Havard, Partington, Smithies, Smith and Shorrocks - they will take us a long way, when they have more games under their belts.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

The signing of Mitch Clarke sums up this current regime.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Here we go again! 6 wins on the bounce, then the first defeat and it's "Doomed, we're all doomed".

First, credit to Hull. They'll be challenging for more than the cup if they continue the improvement under Hodgson.

Secondly, mistakes pretty much cost us the game. Liam Byrne is a young lad with huge potential, but (with hindsight) not sure that starting him was a great idea. Hardaker needs better advice about what he says to the press - a week or two off may be a good idea - but he's been superb before last week.

Third, we've progressed under Lam. One mistake-ridden loss doesn't make him a bad coach.

I'd hate to be in the trenches with people who panicked at the first setback.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

First thing for Lam is to get a school desk for one Z.Hardaker

One the white board non of this rugby nonsense but a line for him to copy out 1000 times.

“I must not talk crap to the press when I’m playing well”

Then hope he remember how well he was playing before the big talk arrived.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

We need to sign two good props i don't know where from but we need to replace club and burgess,not just manage with what we have got.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote:Here we go again! 6 wins on the bounce, then the first defeat and it's "Doomed, we're all doomed".

First, credit to Hull. They'll be challenging for more than the cup if they continue the improvement under Hodgson.

Secondly, mistakes pretty much cost us the game. Liam Byrne is a young lad with huge potential, but (with hindsight) not sure that starting him was a great idea. Hardaker needs better advice about what he says to the press - a week or two off may be a good idea - but he's been superb before last week.

Third, we've progressed under Lam. One mistake-ridden loss doesn't make him a bad coach.

Progressed under Lam? You have got to be joking. Today’s performance was right out of the same coaching manual that had seen us lose every big game he’s coached. He’s been out coached in every single big game.
pedro

Post by pedro »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:26 pm Here we go again! 6 wins on the bounce, then the first defeat and it's "Doomed, we're all doomed".

1st big game.....and a loss