21-man squad v Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
lucky 13

Re: 21-man squad v Hull FC

Post by lucky 13 »

If you take Saints on a normal set off a kick its oftenn 4th tackle before you see a forward hit it up. Makinson is a very good yards maker normally in first couple of hit ups if not the best close to it. The other three backs are also very good. That makes Walmsley job easier but again he dents the line regular on 4th tackle often over halfway. You can add the odd scoot from Roby to the yardage gain,meaning the kicks often well over half way which makes a huge difference. We have missed the backs doing that but without any threat from the ruck or a forward who dents the line we are easy to manage and our kicks are often from our own half.
Obviously our young players may find yardage as they mature but it does beg the question why our one forward who can do it even off poor sets finds himself on the bench for so long and with such a lack of minutes? Especially when last year as part of our starting front row it got us to a GF that we almost won?
All these can be seen and resolved George Burgess would have been an obvious answer but massive question marks over his fitness always existed before we signed him. We could easily have got a 9 to give us an option to change our game up from the bench. Jez Litton( may have spelt that wrong) from HKR would have been a good signing.
Thats not a dig at Powell we don't offer much down the middle and against a team who grind it out we often lose the battle. Like I say Powell is a very good 80 mins hooker but we have to have to be making more yards in other ways. Our backs are as good as any same with the back row but if you don't bust teams up a little in the middle then it makes games harder to win.
I'm pretty sure we will still go well but the Leeds team last season and the Hull one this year was not the way I see it hard obstacles to get over.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

lucky 13 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:43 am If you take Saints on a normal set off a kick its oftenn 4th tackle before you see a forward hit it up. Makinson is a very good yards maker normally in first couple of hit ups if not the best close to it. The other three backs are also very good. That makes Walmsley job easier but again he dents the line regular on 4th tackle often over halfway. You can add the odd scoot from Roby to the yardage gain,meaning the kicks often well over half way which makes a huge difference. We have missed the backs doing that but without any threat from the ruck or a forward who dents the line we are easy to manage and our kicks are often from our own half.
Obviously our young players may find yardage as they mature but it does beg the question why our one forward who can do it even off poor sets finds himself on the bench for so long and with such a lack of minutes? Especially when last year as part of our starting front row it got us to a GF that we almost won?
All these can be seen and resolved George Burgess would have been an obvious answer but massive question marks over his fitness always existed before we signed him. We could easily have got a 9 to give us an option to change our game up from the bench. Jez Litton( may have spelt that wrong) from HKR would have been a good signing.
Thats not a dig at Powell we don't offer much down the middle and against a team who grind it out we often lose the battle. Like I say Powell is a very good 80 mins hooker but we have to have to be making more yards in other ways. Our backs are as good as any same with the back row but if you don't bust teams up a little in the middle then it makes games harder to win.
I'm pretty sure we will still go well but the Leeds team last season and the Hull one this year was not the way I see it hard obstacles to get over.
Absolutely this - we seem to think a couple of barrel rolling forwards will fix the issue and it wont frankly we need the back line and something else at 9.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

But we need a bigger front row not for just going forward, but to keep their forwards rolling forward and making yardage after contact. Too many teams against us are getting over the halfway line which then allows the likes of snyed to putting in attacking kicks and let their half backs play. Hastings and Smith majority of time are kicking from deep and don’t get the opportunities to build pressure, but when they get the chance we are as dangerous as anybody near their tryline.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

But we need a bigger front row not to just improve our go forward but to stop the opposing forwards from making extra yardage on contact. Too many teams against us are getting over the halfway too easily, which then helps the likes of Snyed and other halves set up attacking kicks and set plays. But Hastings and Smith usually find that they are kicking from deep just to get us up the field. I’m sure if they got more chances to do the same, they are as good as anybody in creating scoring chances. Hopefully now that Manfredi is back and can keep fit this will help.But looks like Gildart and Marshall are still a couple of weeks off, so we will continue to struggle to win the tight games.