21-man squad v Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: 21-man squad v Hull FC

Post by Southern Softy »

Having watched him this season and especially today, French at full-back or not at all - I'd vote not at all. It looks as if he might benefit from a week or so off and normally, some specific coaching would be involved to try to get him back to last season's form but I don't imagine that is likely to happen.
I guess for the benefit of French and perhaps the team, he will go to full-back and Hardaker will be sacrificed at centre but I'm not sure French is going to light up the pitch like he did last year.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Hull FC seemed to have far more structure and a game plan they executed well today.
I felt like it took us time to get into the game and try to match FC pound for pound.

I agree, French is looking a little off pace (although it's early days). He might be rattled playing wing rather than FB.

Thought Shorrocks, Bateman and Partington had good spells!

Can only hope (like last season), we use this as motivation to kick on for the LLS/GF.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:26 pm Here we go again! 6 wins on the bounce, then the first defeat and it's "Doomed, we're all doomed".

First, credit to Hull. They'll be challenging for more than the cup if they continue the improvement under Hodgson.

Secondly, mistakes pretty much cost us the game. Liam Byrne is a young lad with huge potential, but (with hindsight) not sure that starting him was a great idea. Hardaker needs better advice about what he says to the press - a week or two off may be a good idea - but he's been superb before last week.

Third, we've progressed under Lam. One mistake-ridden loss doesn't make him a bad coach.

I'd hate to be in the trenches with people who panicked at the first setback.
Bang on. But on the other hand if we won all the time the website would go bust for lack of advertising revenue!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:14 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:14 pm I’m just not surprised at the result.
Me neither fozzie. Sadly I even expected it once I knew the weather forecast

Our best front row partnership of Bullock and Singleton split up - for what? What coach worth their salt changes a line-up that's working? Has them playing split shifts opposite to one another to negate their starting impact!!!

Then compounds it giving the captaincy to someone with only 12 months playing time left at the club is more crass stupidity. Should be looking long term, not a "quick fix" then face the same problem a year later

Recruitment? What recruitment. Club let plenty go and Signed a player who will probably miss the entire season! This did NOT leave the team in a stronger/better position. Honestly can see this side going out at the play-offs because the forwards make no yards and our spine relies too much on the teams fitness/individual brilliance rather than quality of team play
I said when we won the game last week, we would lose this one!

One of the big errors by the club IMO was letting Flower go & re-signing Clubb 😳
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:45 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:26 pm Here we go again! 6 wins on the bounce, then the first defeat and it's "Doomed, we're all doomed".

First, credit to Hull. They'll be challenging for more than the cup if they continue the improvement under Hodgson.

Secondly, mistakes pretty much cost us the game. Liam Byrne is a young lad with huge potential, but (with hindsight) not sure that starting him was a great idea. Hardaker needs better advice about what he says to the press - a week or two off may be a good idea - but he's been superb before last week.

Third, we've progressed under Lam. One mistake-ridden loss doesn't make him a bad coach.

Progressed how under Lam?

I’m of the school that all coaches have a shelf life 3 at beat 4 years with an exception such as Wane so for me Lams time should be coming to an end soon regardless of how well they’re playing.

When Wigan win it’s in spite of not because of Lams tactics or at time just plain weird team selections it’s in spite of them.

But completely agree with you over Hull Hodgson has made a huge and imediate impact as coach

I am with you Fozzie, it’s not about progressing although I am not convinced that we have, it is about winning. Regardless of what anyone thinks about Waney he put silverware in the cabinet. Lam needs to do that this season or it will be time for a change.
Charriots Offiah

Mickw wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:53 pm
DaveO wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:23 pm
ddtftf wrote:We have too many bad days at the office for a Wigan team Rads needs to pull his finger out or let someone else buy players
It’s IL who holds the purse strings but there is also too much loyalty to players who should have retired or moved on. Lockers went on far too long. The new contract for Clubb was unwarranted and bonkers for a player his age and Powell proved today (again) why the club’s apparent loyalty to,him is misplaced. He offered absolutely nothing in attack from dummy half.

Players like Lockers, Clubb, Powell and even TL would have been moved on way before now in the past. It’s no use blaming the salary cap saying we can’t do that as there younger and better players running around in SL in these positions.

In my opinion it’s a matter of philosophy. The Wigan of old was always looking to improve and so would if offered (or found) a better player move the likes of Powell on. I am convinced if that happened today they would say “no thanks” and aren’t even looking.

There is no room for loyalty at the pro level in sport. When a player like Clubb’s contract is coming to an end the first thing the club should be doing is looking to replace a player of his age. If they can’t for whatever reason all he would warrant is a one year deal or rolling contract. If the player didn’t like it and could find another club offering better, let him leave.
Spot on Dave things are to cosy,Jackson Hastings was a far better player under Watson than he is under Lam because there's no plan.its jobs for the boys starting with Radlinski.
I disagree, Salford had better forwards.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Still, I'm sure it's not just me who thinks, if Waney is in that dressing-room at half-time, we win that tie.
Charriots Offiah

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:14 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:14 pm I’m just not surprised at the result.
Me neither fozzie. Sadly I even expected it once I knew the weather forecast

Our best front row partnership of Bullock and Singleton split up - for what? What coach worth their salt changes a line-up that's working? Has them playing split shifts opposite to one another to negate their starting impact!!!

Then compounds it giving the captaincy to someone with only 12 months playing time left at the club is more crass stupidity. Should be looking long term, not a "quick fix" then face the same problem a year later

Recruitment? What recruitment. Club let plenty go and Signed a player who will probably miss the entire season! This did NOT leave the team in a stronger/better position. Honestly can see this side going out at the play-offs because the forwards make no yards and our spine relies too much on the teams fitness/individual brilliance rather than quality of team play
Either Bullock is carrying a knock or he is not going to be retained if Lam is here next season. The game time he is getting is ridiculous and the waste of a space on the substitutes bench
Charriots Offiah

Southern Softy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:07 pm Having watched him this season and especially today, French at full-back or not at all - I'd vote not at all. It looks as if he might benefit from a week or so off and normally, some specific coaching would be involved to try to get him back to last season's form but I don't imagine that is likely to happen.
I guess for the benefit of French and perhaps the team, he will go to full-back and Hardaker will be sacrificed at centre but I'm not sure French is going to light up the pitch like he did last year.
French offers far more in attack than Zak, he is wasted on the wing and easily isolated.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Mike wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:37 pm

Bang on. But on the other hand if we won all the time the website would go bust for lack of advertising revenue!
:lol: :lol: