Lam post match interview

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Lam post match interview

Post by ian.birchall »

Sorry to say (again) but the post match interview was a disaster for Lam. Looked like a headless chicken.
He absolutely had nothing to say about the shambles he had just watched. He did not give the impression of being able to react at either half time or indeed at any other time in the match to positively change the shambles upfolding in front of him.
For me he did not seem to be able to sum up in his own mind what had gone wrong and this means he will never get better at the job. An assistant to a head coach is I am afraid his real level and indeed that might be too high at this level.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
East Stand Faithful

Re: Lam post match interview

Post by East Stand Faithful »

He did look lost and his lack of trophies last year and this will cost him his job.

I think Byrne needed pulling off dropped the ball in our half constantly and missed the tackle for their try under the sticks as well as giving penalties away.

The problem was our forwards were dominated by their bigger pack. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but we should have recruited a big prop when Burgess retired. Luke Thompson (who we were linked with) would have been ideal.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Lam gave the same response when we lost to Leeds lat year in the semi. This wasn’t Wigan. Yes it is our forwards have been dominated in every match this season. What he didn’t expect was that Hardaker and French would be poor. We don’t get out of our half until we kick it on the last. It has been obvious for the last couple of years that we are short of 2 hard running props to get us forward. Rads has to hold his hand up for this because he tried to resolve the problem by recruiting Clarke and Burgess. Both have proved to be big mistakes. Especially Burgess because it was well known in Australia that he had a hip problem. But he needs to get it right now otherwise we are going to keep on losing these type of matches. Saints, Leeds and Hull don’t seem to have problems recruiting the right kind of props, why are we so useless.
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

Wigan have had five opportunities to win a major trophy under Lam. So far, they haven't taken one.

Most of the backroom staff is the same as with Wane many have mentioned "jobs for the boys" but Wane made a difference.

They need to right that at the sixth time of asking.

If Lam and his coaching team doesn't deliver, it might be time for a complete clear out of the coaching staff and start afresh or is this simply down to Lam?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

One way to find out whether it's Lam or not is to send him on gardening leave then put John Winder and Matty Peet in charge. They have Goulding and O'Loughlin there for advice and opinion so there's no lack of personnel around. IMO they'd transform the place between them.

As for Waney returning, wouldn't surprise me as when he said he'd look for a club after the World Cup then promptly turned down or dismissed Wire there seemed only one place left. That's Wigan. I did think of Leeds but wherever Waney goes he'll want a good salary and be able to sign players he wishes to sign. Hetherington wouldn't buy into either of those circumstances so can't see him going there.

Andy Farrell seems a long shot. He'll be with Ireland RU for some years although those six nations head coaches don't seem to hang around before departing.

Anyway it's a good thing we're discussing Lam's replacement. Not before time either!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

East Stand Faithful wrote:He did look lost and his lack of trophies last year and this will cost him his job.

I think Byrne needed pulling off dropped the ball in our half constantly and missed the tackle for their try under the sticks as well as giving penalties away.

The problem was our forwards were dominated by their bigger pack. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but we should have recruited a big prop when Burgess retired. Luke Thompson (who we were linked with) would have been ideal.
A good coach would realise he’s got a problem in the pack and would try and adjust the game plan. Instead he played into Hulls hands and only introduced Bullock for the last quarter far too late.

That and the fact he had a winger on the bench, also introduced late, meant he played most of the game with two interchanges against a big side.

As to lack of success this season costing him his job, if Maurice Lindsay was chairman if with Lam’s record of losing every crucial game in his Wigan coaching career hadn’t already seen him given the boot, he’d have been sacked on the way home on the team bus yesterday. Another exit in the cup in an almost identical way as losing to Leeds last year would not have been tolerated.

IL is far too patient. It might be OK if you thought there was a great coach in the making with Lam but there isn’t any evidence there is. He obviously wasn’t sacked on the coach yesterday but Radlinski and IL should have been discussing looking for his replacement.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

We don't need props. We need a back 3 that can make good yards on kick returns.

Lam won the league leaders shield which, when it suits people, is the most important and worthy prize the club could win.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Good point about the way Wigan lost yesterday it was almost identical to the Leeds loss last year,Wigan are going in circles with Lam this isn’t being moved forward at all a shield won(which is forgotten about to be fair)isn’t brilliant return for 3 years work.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I feel that Lam now needs to pick players in their true positions and let smith when playing kick goals and if not Hastings is a good kicker,it proved yesterday that a consistent kicker will win you close matches,we all know that zac could of won us the grand final with the last kick but did not even get it dead,is to inconsistent for my liking,let's fix it know.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am old fashioned, and out of step, but I live game to game with Wigan. If we win, that sets me up for the week. So, if we win the league then I will have had a lot of very happy weeks. Lam won the LLS, with the decisive game being an away win at Saints. He then won the knock out game to get to the Grand Final and we were literally a bounce of the ball away from winning that. He is in credit with me, and I was front of the queue to criticise him before the second half of last year, but I know others think differently.