Stoppages

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southport steve

Stoppages

Post by Southport steve »

The amount of times referees stop play now for injuries is getting ridiculous in my opinion and is getting more like football.
The stoppages in the cup game took away all the momentum and gave excessive time for teams to rest and reset
Whatever happened to players being treated in back play or being subbed off ?
I can understand a break in play for head injuries but the sight of a hull player having play stopped for a finger injury was plainly ridiculous
Have rules changed ?
thegimble

Re: Stoppages

Post by thegimble »

Rules have changed. Needs changing if a player receives treatment then it goes on the interchange and that player then substituted. And if a team hits the full allowance then player goes off for a couple of minutes. We abused the hia at the 2018 grand final.

Teams bend the rules and sorry to say the gamesmanship is killing rugby atm.
jobo

Post by jobo »

I'd agree. If a player stays down, after a quick assessment, get him off the field. There were rare times in the Hull game when our forwards had theirs on the back foot, panting and blowing, then suddenly a player goes down for 5 minutes and their forwards are firing again.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

It's all about the doctor coming on. But I agree that if the doctor comes on the player should have to leave the field and come back on at some point later.

My peeve at the moment are clubs that see an obvious head impact and allow a player to continue after a quick check but subsequently the player is withdrawn and fails a HIA. Surely they should be fined substantially for that. Some of the impacts and effects on the players are so obvious that I'm amazed they stay on the field for a few tackles. iMO the SL should have a video doctor with the power to force a HIA for players after heavy head impacts.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

It’s the same with the 6 again rule. Hull seem very happy to concede this on the first tackle which then allows them to set there defensive line. Historically it would have been a penalty with them defending in there own half, but when awarded on the first tackle there is no advantage to the attacking team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

ManxWarrior wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:50 pm It’s the same with the 6 again rule. Hull seem very happy to concede this on the first tackle which then allows them to set there defensive line. Historically it would have been a penalty with them defending in there own half, but when awarded on the first tackle there is no advantage to the attacking team.

most of the NRL teams are using this tactic also
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Firestarter wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:56 pm
ManxWarrior wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:50 pm It’s the same with the 6 again rule. Hull seem very happy to concede this on the first tackle which then allows them to set there defensive line. Historically it would have been a penalty with them defending in there own half, but when awarded on the first tackle there is no advantage to the attacking team.

There's been a call for it to be a full penalty rather than six again if the offence is on the 1st or 2nd tackle. Or another one I've seen is for it to be a full penalty if the offence is conceded in the opponents half.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

No straw damn us wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:28 pm
Firestarter wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:56 pm

There's been a call for it to be a full penalty rather than six again if the offence is on the 1st or 2nd tackle. Or another one I've seen is for it to be a full penalty if the offence is conceded in the opponents half.
This might be the way forward or are we making the game over complicated? Im not sure to be honest
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE