Best way to spend some money

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wall_of_voodoo

Re: Best way to spend some money

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Firestarter wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:10 pm I get the feeling lammy reads this site and tries to please the fans……
Apart from when Clubby gets the nod every week no matter what
Last edited by wall_of_voodoo on Mon May 10, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Give it to me. :roll: :roll:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:20 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:17 pm
Fizz Bomb wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:38 am I thought that at the end of Shaun Wain’s reign he was out injured with a detached retina, courtesy of a stray finger from Tommy during a game.
And that was his debut game wasn’t it or as near as dammit anyways

Sad to say he was worth a punt but Hankinson isn’t good enough for super league.
The problem is we live in a salary cap sport. No way in a billion years do we spend our cap money on centres or wingers. The spine is where the quality needs to be. If it means the money left goes on the likes of Hankinson at center - so be it
I agree he was worth a try out but he just wasn’t good enough,plus his knack of picking injuries was not helping either
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Hankinson is undoubtedly a fantastic goal kicker but I'm not sure he's really needed. We've done absolutely fine with Farrell and Isa covering at centre in recent matches. Both have actually had a decent impact in attack, which is surprising for two back rowers who you would generally expect to be solid but unspectacular. In his 23 games for Wigan Hankinson showed himself to be an excellent defender but not particularly dangerous in attack. In fact probably less effective than Isa in recent games and certainly nowhere near as good as Farrell has been.

In terms of goalkicking, Hankinson is probably the best kicker contracted to the club, but he almost certainly wouldn't have become first choice kicker just because he was in the side. In most of his games for us Hankinson hasn't been our kicker, it's been Hardaker. So there's no reason to think that would have changed just because he was there. The evidence of that is that goalkicking options, Smith and Hastings, are already available and yet it's only in the second half of the Hull game that Lam finally turned to one of those options (or Smith took it upon himself, which I'd love to be the case).

Basically, we don't need Hankinson right now because we've already got players covering at centre who are doing better than Hankinson did (at least offensively) and outside backs returning to fitness. Hankinson doesn't even get into the current team based on the ability he's shown previously. We don't desperately need a goalkicker to replace Hardaker because we've got 2 who could replace Hardaker already. If Smith and Hastings both have a go and both fail miserably then things may need to be reconsidered. I'm also fairly certain Joe Shorrocks has kicked goals too so the 4 of them should be getting lots of practice in right now.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

I'm sure fans are not saying Hankinson MUST be brought back. Just as a club, money has to be spent on the spine rather than outside backs. He is however on our books and that is unacceptable that he is playing for another club albeit at a lower level.

As for back row playing centre - I think we saw how well that goes in important/close matches. I have no doubt players play their heart out but a decent centre will always out perform a good second row covering in the same position - otherwise why have backs?

Horses for courses I'm afraid and the experiment of playing players out of position due to poor recruitment/retention is not acceptable. Man U play Rashford in goal when de Gea leaves - anyone?????
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Instead of how to spend money, should we be looking how the sport/teams look after the pandemic is over?

With reduced sky fees at a time when more people watch TV and a government loan to pay back are we sure teams can afford to spend money.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:01 am Instead of how to spend money, should we be looking how the sport/teams look after the pandemic is over?

With reduced sky fees at a time when more people watch TV and a government loan to pay back are we sure teams can afford to spend money.
I would much prefer if the game and Wigan in particular scrapped the Women's game and restarted a reserve league for u18 and u21 players before the game dies a death. That would be a more sensible use of our limited funds.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:

fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

ian.birchall wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:49 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:01 am Instead of how to spend money, should we be looking how the sport/teams look after the pandemic is over?

I would much prefer if the game and Wigan in particular scrapped the Women's game and restarted a reserve league for u18 and u21 players before the game dies a death. That would be a more sensible use of our limited funds.
While I think the women’s talent pool is spread over far too many teams but women’s game is a growth area is it not?
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:52 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:01 am
While I think the women’s talent pool is spread over far too many teams but women’s game is a growth area is it not?
Whether or not it is a growth area the game simply cannot afford it. Superleague teams need teams for younger players developing for the first team and there doesn't seem enough Sky money around for the Championship. Women's rugby was a waste of money before the pandemic and to keep it going now is lunacy.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ian.birchall wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:11 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:52 pm
Whether or not it is a growth area the game simply cannot afford it. Superleague teams need teams for younger players developing for the first team and there doesn't seem enough Sky money around for the Championship. Women's rugby was a waste of money before the pandemic and to keep it going now is lunacy.
That’s very sexist Ian! Are you a misogynist by any chance??

And although I agree that we should have two academy teams, the women’s game is here to stay & is very good to watch.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan