Best way to spend some money

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pearsy

Best way to spend some money

Post by pearsy »

Apart from a couple of props A kicking coach should be brought in as quickly as possible.Wonder how much Jonney Wilkinson would be for some work Wigan have done this before when Williams Charnley Tomkins where having a go
jobo

Re: Best way to spend some money

Post by jobo »

Don't think we need a kicker as such. Young Smith is a cracking kicker. Not sure why when he plays, goal kicking duties aren't passed to him.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Smith is a good goalkicker and according to rugbyleagueproject.org Hastings' record in the NRL is 29 goals from 35 attempts which is over 80% success rate. Joe Shorrocks can kick goals too. We've clearly got other options in the team. It seems like because Hardaker has had the role for the last 2 years and has generally done okay the club hasn't really considered whether there's someone better. Currently Hardaker's record is poor and it needs to be addressed.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pearsy wrote:Apart from a couple of props A kicking coach should be brought in as quickly as possible.Wonder how much Jonney Wilkinson would be for some work Wigan have done this before when Williams Charnley Tomkins where having a go
A kicking coach like Wilkinson can teach the technique but once he’s done that and gone on his way it takes dedication and constant practice from the player to make use of what he’s been taught.

I don’t know how much time Zak spends practicing but if it’s as much as former players like Botica and Richards he should have realised by now he hasn’t got the talent for it.

If he’s not practicing that much, this is a failure in the coaching department who should be insisting he does. The coaches should know successful kicks are often the difference between a win and a loss and so should be proactively running compulsory kicking practice sessions for the kicker.

It sounds to me instead they ask someone to volunteer and then leave it entirely up to them as to what practice they do which is just not very professional in my opinion.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Didn’t Wane bring someone in a few years back and it transformed the kicking?

Can’t remember his name though for the life of me
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

With a successful kick worth half a try I really don't understand why it's not given a major role in practice for any nominated kicker.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Brought in Charlie Hodgson from sale sharks in 2015
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Must admit I didn't realise how good Smith is at taking conversions. Looked totally relaxed and natural......was a breath of fresh air!

Zak seems to blow more cold than hot at conversions (and not just yesterday or this season).

If Smith takes over conversions, I think we have more significant areas to invest in (long-term).
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I get the feeling lammy reads this site and tries to please the fans…… if smith plays at leigh i reckon he will be kicking
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

Whilst I can appreciate he's not as dynamic as French or exciting as Gildart one player who has proven his abilities kicking goals has been allowed to go on loan, he kicked 8 / 8 today for London

Would we be talking about getting coaches in for goal kicking, if Hank was kicking?