Adrian Lam addressing Wigan Warriors' goal-kicking options

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Adrian Lam addressing Wigan Warriors' goal-kicking options

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam is to assess his goal-kicking options this week.

The Warriors coach is considering asking young half Harry Smith to take over the role from Zak Hardaker.

Smith, 21, nailed a touchline conversion in the 20-10 Challenge Cup quarter-final loss to Hull FC on Saturday after Hardaker had earlier missed with two shots at goal – one of which was a penalty within his range.

But Smith doesn’t usually play for 80 minutes – he has started the last three matches due to an injury to Thomas Leuluai – meaning Lam may opt to let them to share the responsibility.

But Smith doesn’t usually play for 80 minutes – he has started the last three matches due to an injury to Thomas Leuluai – meaning Lam may opt to let them to share the responsibility.

Asked whether Smith may take over from Hardaker, Lam replied: “I think so. We talked about it during the week (before the Hull match), it wasn’t really the game to change it until we had to.

“The problem is if Harry is not in the starting team, Zak needs to kick, so... it is an issue that we’re addressing and we’ll get that sorted as soon as we can.”

By his own admission, Hardaker is not an accomplished goal-kicker and he said last month he only got the Wigan role in 2019 because he was “the best of a bad bunch”.

Australian halfback Jackson Hastings can also kick goals while arguably Wigan’s best marksman, Chris Hankinson, is on loan at London Broncos this year.

Hardaker, meanwhile, took to social media to apologise for his display against Hull which “wasn’t good enough at all”. Wigan head to Leigh in their next match, next Monday.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ns-3233272
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: Adrian Lam addressing Wigan Warriors' goal-kicking options

Post by Firestarter »

If hes that good a kicker, Smith should always kick when hes on the field…. It makes more sense to me
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

It's a bit late for this. Talk about "after the horse has bolted".
We've known about the goal kicking problem since half way through last season and it's only now Lam decides to do something about it.
His first choice is Smith who usually doesn't play 80 mins. So when Tommy returns and Harry only comes on for the last twenty Hardaker will be goalkicker will he?
Lam started the season without French, Manfredi, Gildart & Marshall so what does he do, send a centre and the club's best goalkicker on loan to London.

Interesting to see how this one pans out and Lam resolves the problem.
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

With no reserve grade, surely Smith has to continue his development through regular games. So giving him the kicking duties.

Is it time for Tommy to be spelled with Sam for the hooking role?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

ManxWarrior wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:38 pm With no reserve grade, surely Smith has to continue his development through regular games. So giving him the kicking duties.

Definately this…… if smith kicks well he will be worth do much more on the field…… yes he had a bad game against hull but so did a lot of players…… I definitely want to see tommy given a go at hooker at some point
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I agree with the last two posters, so long as Harry is playing well enough we have to give him lots of game time this season. It's a difficult balance but perhaps Harry should be given priority over Tommy if we need Harry to be the starting halfback next season.
bertina

Post by bertina »

ManxWarrior wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:38 pm With no reserve grade, surely Smith has to continue his development through regular games. So giving him the kicking duties.

I agree 100%
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Lam favoured Hastings at 9 over Tommy last year when he had the option.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

Interesting that goal kicking is an issue again, I remember an article from the past year or so Lam said "not sure who his no 1 kicker is?" after Hankinson displayed his prolific kicking skills

The lacking in Lam's management may well come back and bite the success of the team at the end of the season,again??

Not giving Hankinson a fair run last season was a mistake putting him out on loan is another mistake imo
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

jackthelad wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:19 pm Interesting that goal kicking is an issue again, I remember an article from the past year or so Lam said "not sure who his no 1 kicker is?" after Hankinson displayed his prolific kicking skills

The lacking in Lam's management may well come back and bite the success of the team at the end of the season,again??

Not giving Hankinson a fair run last season was a mistake putting him out on loan is another mistake imo
I have nothing against hankinson but he offers nothing better to the team outside goal kicking, to add him would mean dropping a better player in the 3 positions we have seen him play at Wigan.

He wouldn't be at a championship club if he did as another SL club would have picked him up.
Last edited by Caboosegg on Thu May 13, 2021 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.