Adrian Lam addressing Wigan Warriors' goal-kicking options

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Adrian Lam addressing Wigan Warriors' goal-kicking options

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I suppose my take on the hankinson saga is if when we have a completely decimated back line he isnt going to get a run what is the point of loaning him anywhere just sell him. The club kept hold of jake shorrcks for far longer than they should have.

Either give him a chance or bin him
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Hankinson looked a very decent goalkicker but as a centre, it was obvious that he lacked pace which meant he struggled as an attacking player but his defence was pretty decent. I was always surprised that the club and the player didn't look to bulk him up and become a second-rower. Sort of a Danny Tickle type player and goalkicker. I suppose there was too much competition at second-row with Bateman and Isa ranked in front of him.
A bit like Escare - just let him go and rebuild his career elsewhere permanently.
As for Hurrell - the most overrated player in SL currently. Loved by Sky who have bigged him up on very slim evidence.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Southern Softy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:43 pm Hankinson looked a very decent goalkicker but as a centre, it was obvious that he lacked pace which meant he struggled as an attacking player but his defence was pretty decent. I was always surprised that the club and the player didn't look to bulk him up and become a second-rower. Sort of a Danny Tickle type player and goalkicker. I suppose there was too much competition at second-row with Bateman and Isa ranked in front of him.
A bit like Escare - just let him go and rebuild his career elsewhere permanently.
As for Hurrell - the most overrated player in SL currently. Loved by Sky who have bigged him up on very slim evidence.
Pretty much what I was going to say about Hank. You can coach to improve speed, but you can't when there's none to start with, just as you can't polish a toad (?)

I think the criticism of Lam in earlier posts for acting too late is ill informed. He inherited a squad and started as interim coach, and the fact that he just gone public about goal kicking doesn't mean he's been doing nothing about it. Harry Smith needs, and seems to be getting, careful management. To have loaded him with the responsibility of being our main goalkicker before now would have been too much. Let's see how he handles it for a few games, and if he warrants an 80 minute slot.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I don't understand why we keep referring back to Hankinson? In the few appearances he made for us, even if he nailed all his conversion attempts would that warrant him starting for us if he wasn't at London?

You have to look at his all round game and the quality of Gildart and Zak. We need to be attracting the likes of these rather than Hankinson (especially if Gildart goes).

If Hankinson looked anything like Ashton at Wire (both Championship to SL), you'd be justified in feeling aggrieved that he's out on loan.

Tommy at 9 works for me all day long!
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:54 pm
medlocke wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:42 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:19 am

Hankinson isn’t good enough.

Would you have Jamie Foster on the wing for his goal kicking over a fully Marshall and Manfredi?

Would you have Sneyd replace Hastings for his goal kicking?
Do you have 100% proof of this?

Nobody knows IF he is good enough as he hasn't been given a good enough run
Why have no other SL team shown interest?
How do you know there wasn't interest from other SL clubs?

Do you know how much the contract is worth for a loan player etc
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

jackthelad wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:46 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:54 pm
medlocke wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:42 pm

Do you have 100% proof of this?

Nobody knows IF he is good enough as he hasn't been given a good enough run
Why have no other SL team shown interest?
How do you know there wasn't interest from other SL clubs?

Do you know how much the contract is worth for a loan player etc
I don't but good SL players rarely go to championship sides on loan and even fewer that do at hanks age come back from that level.
Last edited by Caboosegg on Fri May 14, 2021 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The Hankinson debate is an interesting one. I don’t think it’s a matter of if he’s ultimately going to cement a place in the centres for Wigan but more along the lines of he’s on Wigan’s books, he’s a centre and we have not any fit centres having chosen to play Faz and Isa in the centres.

OK Isa started out as one but that still leaves Faz out of the pack. Add with the wayward goal kicking it’s hard to reconcile him being packed off on loan.

We have players all over the place because of injury but this just makes it worse.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I take the point about not burdening Smith with sole kicking responsibilities, but surely it would be a reasonable compromise to have him have a go at kicks from the right, being a left-footer, and see how that went?
BIG AL

Post by BIG AL »

The debate about Hankinson and Smith and who Lam should pick is interesting but the fact is we have not had a player who as wanted the goal kicking job since Pat Richards left