Adrian Lam's plan of attack for Wigan Warriors

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Adrian Lam's plan of attack for Wigan Warriors

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam has guided Wigan to their best-ever start to a Super League campaign but vowed: “You ain’t seen nothing yet.”

The Warriors shook off the hangover of their Challenge Cup quarter-final exit to sweep aside Leigh by 30-16 – in front of a vocal home crowd at the Sports Village – on Monday night. Three unanswered tries in the second-half highlighted their qualities in attack and defence.

But with players being drip-fed back into the side and the knock-on impact as others switch positions, Lam is confident there is much more to come as they settle into their groove.

“To be honest with you, I think we left four or five tries out on the field (at Leigh),” said Lam. “I felt we weren’t really connected in attack at times especially in the final quarter, when we really could have put them to bed

But you’ve got to remember, there were four or five different changes to the squad.

As much as I want to play that flamboyant attacking style it’s hard when we’re always rotating players to try and get the best combination for that particular game. It was Dom Manfredi’s first start, we’ve got to push Willie (Isa) back to the second row, we have to get John Bateman time in the middle, it was Liam Farrell’s first game back in the second-row... Zak on the wing out of position, I think he’s a centre.

“And we’ve still got a little bit of change to make over the next six weeks to settle on our best team.

“It’s been a long time coming, we still don’t have the England centre (Oliver Gildart) playing, we still don’t have Jai Field – one of our most exciting attacking players – Liam Marshall, one of our best attacking players, out there.

Players are doing a job for the team, I’m really pleased, but there’s so much improvement as the season unfolds.”

Wigan will be confident of extending their perfect start in Super League when they head to Salford on Saturday, kick-off 1pm.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rs-3242795
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Re: Adrian Lam's plan of attack for Wigan Warriors

Post by Barney841 »

josie andrews wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:32 pm Adrian Lam has guided Wigan to their best-ever start to a Super League campaign but vowed: “You ain’t seen nothing yet.”

The Warriors shook off the hangover of their Challenge Cup quarter-final exit to sweep aside Leigh by 30-16 – in front of a vocal home crowd at the Sports Village – on Monday night. Three unanswered tries in the second-half highlighted their qualities in attack and defence.

But with players being drip-fed back into the side and the knock-on impact as others switch positions, Lam is confident there is much more to come as they settle into their groove.

“To be honest with you, I think we left four or five tries out on the field (at Leigh),” said Lam. “I felt we weren’t really connected in attack at times especially in the final quarter, when we really could have put them to bed

But you’ve got to remember, there were four or five different changes to the squad.

As much as I want to play that flamboyant attacking style it’s hard when we’re always rotating players to try and get the best combination for that particular game. It was Dom Manfredi’s first start, we’ve got to push Willie (Isa) back to the second row, we have to get John Bateman time in the middle, it was Liam Farrell’s first game back in the second-row... Zak on the wing out of position, I think he’s a centre.

“And we’ve still got a little bit of change to make over the next six weeks to settle on our best team.

“It’s been a long time coming, we still don’t have the England centre (Oliver Gildart) playing, we still don’t have Jai Field – one of our most exciting attacking players – Liam Marshall, one of our best attacking players, out there.

Players are doing a job for the team, I’m really pleased, but there’s so much improvement as the season unfolds.”

Wigan will be confident of extending their perfect start in Super League when they head to Salford on Saturday, kick-off 1pm.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rs-3242795
Where have I heard that before hmmm…
Oh yeah that’s it, when sky spoke to Lam before he took over.
Still waiting!!
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Zak a centre? He's superleagues best English fullback!!!! Well until he stated it in the media.

Joke aside, I really do hope hardaker doesn't become unsettled and leave, French is short term where Zak could have a long career with us.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:03 am Zak a centre? He's superleagues best English fullback!!!! Well until he stated it in the media.

Joke aside, I really do hope hardaker doesn't become unsettled and leave, French is short term where Zak could have a long career with us.
Completely agree with over Hardaker I doubt French will be here much longer and from the outside Hardaker is as settle here as he has been anywhere in his career and should see out the beat years of his career with Wigan,but if he does become unsettled it’s be a mistake for me
moto748

Post by moto748 »

It's hard to argue with that. I'm sure we'll thank Bevan French for his contributions, and some memorable moments, but he surely will not be here long-term.

I was going to say, if it was Leeds, they'd tie Hardaker down long-term. But that doesn't quite work, does it... :lol:

But you know what I mean.
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

Lams comments are laughable, and sounds embarrassing, same old same old he is responsible for team selection I understand the injuries have forced a few positional changes, these points have already been said earlier

Re: The kicking duties etc.its a farce!!

The best goal kicker over the past few years isn't currently at the club due to being on loan, so it's a mute point allowing him to go on loan is another mistake imo
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

jackthelad wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:14 pm Lams comments are laughable, and sounds embarrassing, same old same old he is responsible for team selection I understand the injuries have forced a few positional changes, these points have already been said earlier

Re: The kicking duties etc.its a farce!!

The best goal kicker over the past few years isn't currently at the club due to being on loan, so it's a mute point allowing him to go on loan is another mistake imo
Hankinsons goal kicking isn’t worth a starting position. He’s a championship player.

Would you have Jamie Foster play for us on the wing ?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

moto748 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:34 pm It's hard to argue with that. I'm sure we'll thank Bevan French for his contributions, and some memorable moments, but he surely will not be here long-term.

I was going to say, if it was Leeds, they'd tie Hardaker down long-term. But that doesn't quite work, does it... :lol:

But you know what I mean.
Wasn't Zak on a 5 year deal when he came,im sure he was on a long term deal when he came out of the sackcloth and ashes.

As for French to me he just doesn't look like hes settled in a way that Pat Richards settled here in Wigan,absolutly nothing wrong with it either,French has come,created mayhem every time he runs with the ball and is great to watch but taking a longer term view of things is it worth perhaps, just perhaps alienating Hardaker to the point he wants to go and the club ends up losing both of them?

Family comes first as it should do and I think this pandemic has perhaps focused overseas players minds a bit more than normal,on both sides of the world?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:03 am Zak a centre? He's superleagues best English fullback!!!! Well until he stated it in the media.

I disagree. I think Sam Tomkins is streets ahead.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:28 pm

As for French to me he just doesn't look like hes settled in a way that Pat Richards settled here in Wigan,absolutly nothing wrong with it either,French has come,created mayhem every time he runs with the ball and is great to watch but taking a longer term view of things is it worth perhaps, just perhaps alienating Hardaker to the point he wants to go and the club ends up losing both of them?

Family comes first as it should do and I think this pandemic has perhaps focused overseas players minds a bit more than normal,on both sides of the world?
That's very true, and I like you, I wouldn't blame French at all for wanting to return home. He has been great for us, with hopefully more to come. And in way, you could say the same applies to George Williams.

I hope. :lol: