Marshall surprises NHS patient

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Marshall surprises NHS patient

Post by josie andrews »

As fans begin to return to sporting events across the country, Wigan Warriors winger Liam Marshall has not forgotten about those who cannot currently attend, as he surprised an 85-year-old patient at Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust’s (WWL) Astley Ward, with a signed rugby ball from the full first team squad.

Edith, from Ince in Wigan, has been a patient on Astley Ward for over three weeks now, and after WWL Caremaker, Heather Berry, heard about her love for all things Warriors, she approached Marshall and the Club to see if they could do anything to send their best wishes.

“I have been watching the rugby since I was a little girl and now all my children are huge fans too,” said Edith.

Not content with sending a ‘Get well soon’ card, Marshall went one step further and organised for his teammates to sign a ball for Edith.

The signed rugby ball was presented by Heather and head of nursing Rachel Smith and Edith was in complete shock. She said: “I have never felt so important in all my life. Money can’t buy this.”

Marshall said: “We hope Edith gets better soon and can’t wait to have her back in the stadium, cheering us on.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/05/ ... s-patient/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan