Williams as it stands.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Re: Williams as it stands.

Post by Wintergreen »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:31 am The more o read this thread and the more the saga drags on the more I can hear the benny hill theme and in my minds eye I’m seeing,as horrible as it sounds,scantily clad SL CEO’s chasing him round a park a;lol clutching contacts in their sweaty palms..
:shock:
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

i know that money may talk, but what about the respective coaches for next season / position that he sees the clubs in

who would most likely inspire GW? Powell or Lam (or tbc). Wire have their coach sorted for next year, so he would know who he is playing for and what his plans are. As far as i am aware Lam is only coach until the end of this season (may get another or may not), plus lots of players already leaving or out of contract. Would you seriously consider that the coach may not be there next season and have no idea who you may be playing under?
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

the pieman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:52 am i know that money may talk, but what about the respective coaches for next season / position that he sees the clubs in

who would most likely inspire GW? Powell or Lam (or tbc). Wire have their coach sorted for next year, so he would know who he is playing for and what his plans are. As far as i am aware Lam is only coach until the end of this season (may get another or may not), plus lots of players already leaving or out of contract. Would you seriously consider that the coach may not be there next season and have no idea who you may be playing under?
I posted this on the "New Coach" thread

by Dan2266 » Sat May 08, 2021 11:47 pm

At the moment, Im not sure how likely. But Wigan want to speak to Wane & Andy Farrell regarding their long term plans.

From what Im hearing, Wane may be the key to bringing Williams home.

:roll: :roll:
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Dan2266 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:00 am
the pieman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:52 am i know that money may talk, but what about the respective coaches for next season / position that he sees the clubs in

I posted this on the "New Coach" thread

by Dan2266 » Sat May 08, 2021 11:47 pm

At the moment, Im not sure how likely. But Wigan want to speak to Wane & Andy Farrell regarding their long term plans.

From what Im hearing, Wane may be the key to bringing Williams home.

:roll: :roll:
Cheers Dan, thats sort of what i was alluding to. I dont know who Wigan are speaking to or planning on speaking to, but as a player it must have an impact on your decision. I look at the number of players who went Man Utd when Fergie was there, and they went because of him (i know they will have also been well paid). I know coaches come and go / get sacked mid-season, but i dont think the current rolling deals are working for us, when it comes to players committing longer term if they dont know who they will be playing under

if he only wants to play under Wane, is that an indication of the state of the club at the minute, that a former player who has played virtually all his life for the club, doesnt want to return?
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

He wants to return, he has gave his word to Wigan, but as far as I understand the offer from Warrington is six figures higher than ours over the 4 years.

I'm starting to get a bit concerned personally (But I've heard nothing from the club to indicate they are concerned)

there are maybe some re negotiations ongoing but about 3 weeks ago a deal was agreed between all parties.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Can’t help but Williams would thrive under Powell and yes Wane if he was to return but under Lam I don’t know as he clearly doesn’t know his best side
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'll say one thing abut Josh Drinkwater: his brother's a good player! :lol:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:11 am Can’t help but Williams would thrive under Powell and yes Wane if he was to return but under Lam I don’t know as he clearly doesn’t know his best side
He might thrive under Powell but under Wane? Williams got a lot of stick here for his one dimensional play under Wane as Williams seemingly stuck to orders (like Powell at 9) and the fact he looked a better player in Oz under a different coach is no coincidence in my opinion. We need a new coach for next season but please not Wane.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

It's well advertised that Wane's possible return wouldn't please you, Dave.

It would, however, please many other fans.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:58 am
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:11 am Can’t help but Williams would thrive under Powell and yes Wane if he was to return but under Lam I don’t know as he clearly doesn’t know his best side
He might thrive under Powell but under Wane? Williams got a lot of stick here for his one dimensional play under Wane as Williams seemingly stuck to orders (like Powell at 9) and the fact he looked a better player in Oz under a different coach is no coincidence in my opinion. We need a new coach for next season but please not Wane.
I agree.

Wane plays a very structured game, probably why Matty Smith was so important to us. Off the cuff players like Williams and Smith will potentially have limited abilities to use some of their strengths and skills.

The frequency of short kicks on tackle 3 near the opponents line by Williams started to get on my nerves and looked like we were constantly out of ideas.

Not sure I agree on Powell, he looks just as limited in attack under Lam.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."