Lam out !! ??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jaws1

Re: Lam out !! ??

Post by jaws1 »

bertina wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:59 am Nobody is more frustrated than me with what we are currently watching, but what I don’t get is how it is all Lam’s fault.
The players he has at his disposal are just not good enough.
A midget pack that struggle to get out of their own 25 after 5 tackles, and half his back line missing. To be fair, what is he supposed to be able to do ?.
With the current crop of players available at Wigan, does anyone honestly believe that, Wayne Bennett, Michael McGuire, Ricky Stuart, or any other so called top coach, could get us where we want to be?. I doubt it.
A blind man can see we need 2 big props, and a 9, plus our first choice backs available. Without any additional clout in the front row this season we are screwed.
No 9 is the biggest problem .
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:35 pm
medlocke wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:08 pm
josie andrews wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:25 am

Bloody hell Meds, that’s the best post you’ve made since you praised O’Loughlin after years of derision 😉😉
:lol: :lol: :lol: I get it right every now and then Josie :D :D
👍🏼👍🏼😂😂
After 8755 posts (I checked), the Law of Probability says he was due to get one right :D
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

What do they say Morley??

Even a busted clock is right twice in one day!!!!
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

I have to admit to being one who as always thought Lam was not good enough but was only supposed to be a season stop gap for Edward's fiasco. So for that part its not all lams fault.he should never have been given extension his rugby was bland and from his first few months already showed he could not set a team up to adapt to aposing teams/conditions IMO. Even with injuries the team selection at times was baffling to say least and moving players just to accommodate certain players instead of team balance. Can't also blame him for player recruitment sorry loved rads as a player but this jobs for boys Wigan culture has to go. And poor show of intent in transfer market its no wonder we can't get big names to come a perfect example is Williams loved the club but for some strange reason does not want to come back.I don't believe it is motivated by money. Watched Wigan for 60 years through thick and thin and have them in my blood but never felt as negative about the running of things at club as I do now. Think big changes need to be made at top level or I fear for us. All this is only my opinion. Right or wrong.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I feel like Lam is for us what Ole is for utd in football

I think he is here and will be supported because he's unlikely to ruffle feathers for IL/CR or in the players. However he is unlikely to me to provide that killer edge - hes not going to slam the door down and tell IL he needs x,y,z player - he also doesnt appear likely to challenge the players in and seems more interested in keeping them onside.

One thing about wane that won him trophies is he had that edge he would make the calls and he ran the dressing room and if you didnt get on board with that you were out simple.

If you look at the most successful managers they all have that blunt almost aggressive edge - Lam doesnt hes too soft and i just dont see him ever pulling us out a hole when we need it
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I keep seeing that Lam has no say in recruitment, I'm of the opinion that is a load of rubbish, IL/Rad 100% have a say but look at the players (outside returnies) that we have recruited, they are Lams choices, not that our front row recruitment has been great but the forward recruitment has been alot worse since Lam took over almost like he doesn't know what to bring in that area to fit his style.

Wane brought in props that fitted his style perfectly, smaller quick ball players allow the backs to do the work.

Lams style seems to need props that can make meters allowing the backs to inject in at key points (instead of doing all the work).
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

People keep talking about how much more successful Wane was at winning trophies than Lam. I wondered if the records stack up in that way.

There are 3 trophies each season, GF, LL and CC, plus WCC if you've won the GF.

Looking online, this seems to be Lams record:
2019: 0/4
2020: 1/3 [LL]
2021: 0/1
Total: 1/8 = 12.5%

By my count Wane won
2012: 1/3 [LL]
2013: 2/3 [GF, CC]
2014: 0/4
2015: 0/3
2016: 1/3 [GF]
2017: 1/4 [WCC]
2018: 1/3 [GF]

Total: 6/23 = 26%

So Wane over his 7 seasons had a trophy success approx twice as good as Lam. However, were Lam to pickup a trophy this year, the gap would be much smaller (20% to 26%), and the current 3-year spell we're in is equal to the 2014-2016 spell we had under Wane with two trophies still to play for.

Its also interesting to remember that Wane had a very poor CC record, and which has continued under Lam, and Wane had as bad of a LL record as his CC record. Wane seemed to specialize in that charge for the GF at the end of the season and he had a 3/7 (42%) success on that trophy alone. If Lam is able to guide a similar late season run and picks up a GF win this season, his record will again be pretty close to Wane with 1/3 (33%).

No conclusions, but I'm not sure this prevailing view that Wane coached us to winning everything in sight and never coaching us to a loss thing stacks up 100%. 3 GFs in 7 years plus a WCC is a great achievment by Wane, but his era was not dominated by multi-trophy seasons.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:29 pm Wane brought in props that fitted his style perfectly, smaller quick ball players allow the backs to do the work.
I think he is on record saying how we needed to bulk up in the pack, but as I recall the club was not able to do so even seasons later. I think all coaches operate under constraints, and sometimes get their preferred signing, sometimes are given someone else and sometimes get no one.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:29 pm I keep seeing that Lam has no say in recruitment, I'm of the opinion that is a load of rubbish, IL/Rad 100% have a say but look at the players (outside returnies) that we have recruited, they are Lams choices, not that our front row recruitment has been great but the forward recruitment has been alot worse since Lam took over almost like he doesn't know what to bring in that area to fit his style.

Wane brought in props that fitted his style perfectly, smaller quick ball players allow the backs to do the work.

Lams style seems to need props that can make meters allowing the backs to inject in at key points (instead of doing all the work).
Wane was given props and as a consequence he adopted tee team's style of play to suit their capabilities.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

I don’t think Lam would agree another year anyway. Look at the players we are losing against what we seem to be recruiting, it’s a big job whoever gets it. And if we are to get a new coach we need to start to get them in place as soon as. No use in them starting when all the off contract players have been signed up. The question is who would be up for the job?