Genuinely Confused!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wes

Genuinely Confused!

Post by Wes »

Are we witnessing the beginning of a full squad rebuild or the club sliding downhill towards mediocrity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
WWRL

Re: Genuinely Confused!

Post by WWRL »

There has to be a complete rebuild by the looks of it. Gildart, Hastings, G Burgess, Manfredi, possibly French and how many more? And we’re replacing them with who?! Thornley, Mason? It’s crazy what’s going on at the club right now.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Don’t know about confused genuinely worried that the finances are a problem. It doesn’t help that the club are silent on all these coming and goings.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Graham1 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:50 pm Don’t know about confused genuinely worried that the finances are a problem. It doesn’t help that the club are silent on all these coming and goings.
And it’s the silence that drives fans mad isn’t it?

But I’m with you I wonder if the sums aren’t adding up?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

WWRL wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:36 pm There has to be a complete rebuild by the looks of it. Gildart, Hastings, G Burgess, Manfredi, possibly French and how many more? And we’re replacing them with who?! Thornley, Mason? It’s crazy what’s going on at the club right now.
We don't know who we are recruiting, that seems to be an issue for some.

G Burgess cannot be considered a loss he didn't play enough or show any form due to injuries.

Isn't Field the replacement for French.
Thornley is a centre but until next year we don't know if he's a squad player or gildarts replacement.

Mason to replace Bullock.

I reserve my opinion on recruitment until it is done.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Wes wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:10 pm Are we witnessing the beginning of a full squad rebuild or the club sliding downhill towards mediocrity?

There’s something going on by the looks of things. We’re either going in a different direction and getting a new coach and making space for his players or we’re absolutely skint looking at all the exits compared to the rumoured ins and will be running a squad that will be very small and lacking in to the quality required to be anything other than mid table side. Let’s hope it’s the first option and there are plenty of rabbits to be pulled from hats.

One thing is for sure, from a depth perspective we cannot afford another off season where 7 or 8 walk away and only 2 or 3 come in. There is a severe lack of depth already and after having a year off guys like Halsall and Hanley aren’t quite ready to be so high up in the pecking order and nobody is ready behind those lads.

Recruitment though can only be judged when it’s complete and that won’t be for a while yet.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

NICKYKISS wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:53 pm
Wes wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:10 pm Are we witnessing the beginning of a full squad rebuild or the club sliding downhill towards mediocrity?

I thought that everyone was aware that Lam was off at the end of the season?

There’s something going on by the looks of things. We’re either going in a different direction and getting a new coach and making space for his players or we’re absolutely skint looking at all the exits compared to the rumoured ins and will be running a squad that will be very small and lacking in to the quality required to be anything other than mid table side. Let’s hope it’s the first option and there are plenty of rabbits to be pulled from hats.

One thing is for sure, from a depth perspective we cannot afford another off season where 7 or 8 walk away and only 2 or 3 come in. There is a severe lack of depth already and after having a year off guys like Halsall and Hanley aren’t quite ready to be so high up in the pecking order and nobody is ready behind those lads.

Recruitment though can only be judged when it’s complete and that won’t be for a while yet.
WWRL

Post by WWRL »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:46 pm
WWRL wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:36 pm There has to be a complete rebuild by the looks of it. Gildart, Hastings, G Burgess, Manfredi, possibly French and how many more? And we’re replacing them with who?! Thornley, Mason? It’s crazy what’s going on at the club right now.
We don't know who we are recruiting, that seems to be an issue for some.

G Burgess cannot be considered a loss he didn't play enough or show any form due to injuries.

Isn't Field the replacement for French.
Thornley is a centre but until next year we don't know if he's a squad player or gildarts replacement.

Mason to replace Bullock.

I reserve my opinion on recruitment until it is done.
I guess it depends on how G Burgess goes on in the NRL now. He says he feels better than ever and is looking for a return to St George. But we won’t know for sure until he plays.

Either way, there’ll be some big changes in the squad from now to next year.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

NICKYKISS wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:53 pm

I thought that everyone was aware that Lam was leaving at the end of the season.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Lack of clarity is likely to rub off on the current squad and also on players who the club might want to sign. I'd love to have Sam T and Tom Davies back but why would they come?