Genuinely Confused!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Genuinely Confused!

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Is it that bad? We have Field as replacement for French, and have said we are looking for George to replace Hastings. That seems fairly like for like to me. Mason would be joining us with a better CV than Bullock when he came here, so not losing sleep over that. Thornley for Gildart is a step down, though as Gildart has pretty much stopped playing for us these last 2 years, if Thornley stays fit he could well compensate over a season. Seemingly, in addition we are searching for a big unit prop (George B if he shows he’s back to normal???).

What I like about the squad is the huge potential of Havard, Smithies, Smith, Partington and Shorrocks (and even Byrne may improve with time). If keeping these squeezes things elsewhere, I would be prepared to put up with that.

As for finances, our co owner’s wealth increased by a quarter of a billion last year, so I am not losing any sleep over that.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

I simply do not understand anyone clinging to the idea that George Burgess might be back next year. With a hip replacement there is no way he will ever be able to play professional rugby league again.
Don't take my word for it with the experience of 3 hip replacements behind me but just look at Andy Murray struggling with his comeback in a non contact sport.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
jobo

Post by jobo »

ian.birchall wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:03 pm I simply do not understand anyone clinging to the idea that George Burgess might be back next year. With a hip replacement there is no way he will ever be able to play professional rugby league again.
Don't take my word for it with the experience of 3 hip replacements behind me but just look at Andy Murray struggling with his comeback in a non contact sport.
Think he's staying in Aus but he is making a come back. If he's had a hip replacement he's a brave boy to even think about giving it a go.
WWRL

Post by WWRL »

ian.birchall wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:03 pm I simply do not understand anyone clinging to the idea that George Burgess might be back next year. With a hip replacement there is no way he will ever be able to play professional rugby league again.
I would have thought the same but the reports from the NRL and Danny Weidler suggest he’s feeling better than ever and is looking for a return
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

WWRL wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:24 pm
I would have thought the same but the reports from the NRL and Danny Weidler suggest he’s feeling better than ever and is looking for a return
The question is has he played any rugby after. Great for the guy if he's walking free of pain but what happens when he takes a knock.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I think the frustration is probably associated around the fact we have confirmation we are losing our senior, established players such as Hastings and Gildart, but have no confirmation of arrivals yet.

Im not getting too concerned yet, long way to go for recruitment for next year.

If these rumours are true that French, Manfredi, Bullock and others are on their way, plus Lams possible departure, surely the club are preparing for this now!

Some have made comparisons between 04/05 and now into next season. I can't see this being allowed to happen again.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

We will have a new coaching team next year and any signings will be to fit their idea of a first team squad.

We know who's leaving but those remaining and any in comings will be to the specific requirements of the new coaching team. Who they have spoken to and how far in negotiations they are we don't know nor should we.

The last time we won one of the big two trophies was 2018 when we won the GF in Shaun Wane's last game.
That is the gap that has to be bridged.
It won't be easy and will have to be handled carefully to get it right.

Publicity over these players and negotiations is the last thing the club need.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Where has it been said he’s had a hip replacement? The only thing I read was he’d had an operation and as far as I am aware a hip replacement has never been mentioned before or after the op.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:46 pm
WWRL wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:36 pm There has to be a complete rebuild by the looks of it. Gildart, Hastings, G Burgess, Manfredi, possibly French and how many more? And we’re replacing them with who?! Thornley, Mason? It’s crazy what’s going on at the club right now.
We don't know who we are recruiting, that seems to be an issue for some.

G Burgess cannot be considered a loss he didn't play enough or show any form due to injuries.

Isn't Field the replacement for French.
Thornley is a centre but until next year we don't know if he's a squad player or gildarts replacement.

Mason to replace Bullock.

I reserve my opinion on recruitment until it is done.
Of course Burgess is a loss. He wasn’t brought in to wash the dishes but to fill a gap people and the club itself identified which was the need for a big top class prop. He’s gone and we have not recruited anyone like him so the need remains unfilled.

Mason is smaller than Bullock and so does nothing to address the lack of size in the lack and he’s a championship level player. Bullock was a also a young prop recruited to develop whereas Mason is already a journeyman.

Thornley never made it at Wigan and this will be the first time the club has signed someone who left twice for a third time and at age 31. It’s a completely ridiculous signing and the idea he’s a squad player excuses it is mental. Expect him to be first 17.

As to Field replacing French, where will he play? Lam doesn’t know how to fit French in the team as it is with TL, Hastings, Smith and Hardaker around. If Williams does come back to replace Hastings we are in the same boat so maybe on the wing to replace Manfredi? If so why has the club wasted three years cap money on Manfredi and let other wingers leave?

The recruitment seems opportunistic at best leaving us with backs we can’t fit in the team at the same time, the pack issues not addressed and the squad management seems pretty random.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

DaveO wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:55 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:46 pm
WWRL wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:36 pm There has to be a complete rebuild by the looks of it. Gildart, Hastings, G Burgess, Manfredi, possibly French and how many more? And we’re replacing them with who?! Thornley, Mason? It’s crazy what’s going on at the club right now.
We don't know who we are recruiting, that seems to be an issue for some.

G Burgess cannot be considered a loss he didn't play enough or show any form due to injuries.

Isn't Field the replacement for French.
Thornley is a centre but until next year we don't know if he's a squad player or gildarts replacement.

Mason to replace Bullock.

I reserve my opinion on recruitment until it is done.
Of course Burgess is a loss. He wasn’t brought in to wash the dishes but to fill a gap people and the club itself identified which was the need for a big top class prop. He’s gone and we have not recruited anyone like him so the need remains unfilled.

Mason is smaller than Bullock and so does nothing to address the lack of size in the lack and he’s a championship level player. Bullock was a also a young prop recruited to develop whereas Mason is already a journeyman.

Thornley never made it at Wigan and this will be the first time the club has signed someone who left twice for a third time and at age 31. It’s a completely ridiculous signing and the idea he’s a squad player excuses it is mental. Expect him to be first 17.

As to Field replacing French, where will he play? Lam doesn’t know how to fit French in the team as it is with TL, Hastings, Smith and Hardaker around. If Williams does come back to replace Hastings we are in the same boat so maybe on the wing to replace Manfredi? If so why has the club wasted three years cap money on Manfredi and let other wingers leave?

The recruitment seems opportunistic at best leaving us with backs we can’t fit in the team at the same time, the pack issues not addressed and the squad management seems pretty random.
Thornley, 45 games, 30 tries, never made it?
Seems like it to me.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield