Halsall joins Newcastle on loan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Halsall joins Newcastle on loan

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors can confirm that young centre Sam Halsall has joined Newcastle Thunder on an initial two week’s loan deal.

An exciting talent who made rapid progression through the Wigan Academy ranks, Halsall has shone at Under-19s level with two Grand Final winners medals to his name, scoring a try in both triumphs.

He began playing the sport at the age of six with Shevington Sharks after being inspired to take up the game by his dad and started out as a full back before moving into the halves.

After signing for Wigan’s Scholarship system in 2016, he played on the wing and at full back, before moving into centre in the Academy.

Halsall has made two first team appearances for Wigan – the first coming in 2020 against St Helens and the second coming in April this year in the Betfred Challenge Cup win over York City Knights.

Commenting on his initial loan to Newcastle, Halsall said: “I’m looking forward to being at Thunder, I’m looking to prove myself and starting making a name for myself by playing the best I can. I’m looking forward to working with two good coaches and a good squad who I can learn off.

“As a player, I like having the ball in my hands, using space and to be aggressive in defence. I like to trust my speed to help me out.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/06/ ... e-on-loan/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan