Weak middles - Do the stats back it up?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Weak middles - Do the stats back it up?

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:35 pm Maybe Lam didn't rate him
I think you may be onto something there
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I think with Greenwood it was just the easiest way to make room for Bateman. Joe clearly wouldn't have come cheap. Greenwood was a bit different to what we had but he only seemed capable of playing on the left edge, which is where Farrell is most dangerous. Is it really worth having a big earner like Greenwood who can seemingly only play in one position on one side of the field which happens to be the same position as one of our best and most consistent players? Farrell was never as effective playing down the middle so you took something away from Farrell's game just to accommodate Greenwood.

For me Greenwood making way isn't the issue, it's not adding to our front row given the club must have been aware that Burgess wasn't going to be playing this year.

One thing I noticed when checking the stats is that Jack Wells averages more metres than any of our middles except for Havard, and at 8.7 metres per carry he looks like a much stronger ball carrier than any of our middles except Clubb (and Clubb's lack of games and carries likely skews his metres per carry stats). Looks like we've actually let go of a middle who could have given us a bit more strength.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

EagleEyePie wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:32 pm I think with Greenwood it was just the easiest way to make room for Bateman. Joe clearly wouldn't have come cheap. Greenwood was a bit different to what we had but he only seemed capable of playing on the left edge, which is where Farrell is most dangerous. Is it really worth having a big earner like Greenwood who can seemingly only play in one position on one side of the field which happens to be the same position as one of our best and most consistent players? Farrell was never as effective playing down the middle so you took something away from Farrell's game just to accommodate Greenwood.

For me Greenwood making way isn't the issue, it's not adding to our front row given the club must have been aware that Burgess wasn't going to be playing this year.

One thing I noticed when checking the stats is that Jack Wells averages more metres than any of our middles except for Havard, and at 8.7 metres per carry he looks like a much stronger ball carrier than any of our middles except Clubb (and Clubb's lack of games and carries likely skews his metres per carry stats). Looks like we've actually let go of a middle who could have given us a bit more strength.
That’s another young player we let go who I always rated
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:00 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:32 pm I think with Greenwood it was just the easiest way to make room for Bateman. Joe clearly wouldn't have come cheap. Greenwood was a bit different to what we had but he only seemed capable of playing on the left edge, which is where Farrell is most dangerous. Is it really worth having a big earner like Greenwood who can seemingly only play in one position on one side of the field which happens to be the same position as one of our best and most consistent players? Farrell was never as effective playing down the middle so you took something away from Farrell's game just to accommodate Greenwood.

That’s another young player we let go who I always rated
+1
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:33 pm Can never understand why we let Greenwood go!
No, neither can I. I have said it before but the best back row we have had in recent seasons was that which played in 2018 and in the GF where Greenwood and Bateman played.

What's more he played very well last season (so I don't agree Lam didn't rate, he played him).

Someone said he's a left sided player. Well what's news about that? Where the club unaware of this when they signed him and so Wigan ended up with Greenwood and Faz who are both left sided players but in any case why can't you pick both in the team as happened in the 2018 GF? Greenwood offered size that neither Faz nor Bateman do.

I think the reason he ended up leaving was just another cost cutting exercise. It's not logical to let your biggest back row forward leave when the pack lacks size and the issue of small props hasn't been addressed.

Just another example of the squad management/recruitment being all over the shop with Rads involved.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:53 am
josie andrews wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:33 pm Can never understand why we let Greenwood go!
No, neither can I. I have said it before but the best back row we have had in recent seasons was that which played in 2018 and in the GF where Greenwood and Bateman played.

What's more he played very well last season (so I don't agree Lam didn't rate, he played him).

Someone said he's a left sided player. Well what's news about that? Where the club unaware of this when they signed him and so Wigan ended up with Greenwood and Faz who are both left sided players but in any case why can't you pick both in the team as happened in the 2018 GF? Greenwood offered size that neither Faz nor Bateman do.

I think the reason he ended up leaving was just another cost cutting exercise. It's not logical to let your biggest back row forward leave when the pack lacks size and the issue of small props hasn't been addressed.

Just another example of the squad management/recruitment being all over the shop with Rads involved.
Wouldn't surprise me if Wigan didn't really think about this detail when they bought Greenwood. Having two big earners only really capable of playing left second row is not good planning.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I always wondered why faz n greenwood didnt swap sides? Faz could play left side in our own half then play greenwood nearer to the try line ,as that was when he was most dangerous
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:07 am I always wondered why faz n greenwood didnt swap sides? Faz could play left side in our own half then play greenwood nearer to the try line ,as that was when he was most dangerous
Too much swapping and changing and disruption.

Wouldn't work.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Farrell and Greenwood very rarely played together due to Farrells injuries. From July 2018 to July 2019 Farrell only played six games, starting in three.
http://wigan.rlfans.com/news.php?readmore=4960
http://wigan.rlfans.com/news.php?readmore=4960
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:43 am
Firestarter wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:07 am I always wondered why faz n greenwood didnt swap sides? Faz could play left side in our own half then play greenwood nearer to the try line ,as that was when he was most dangerous
Too much swapping and changing and disruption.

Wouldn't work.
There’s been loads of swapping & changing positions in our playing squads this year & last! This is why we haven’t got a settled team 🤨
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan