Weak middles - Do the stats back it up?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
NICKYKISS

Re: Weak middles - Do the stats back it up?

Post by NICKYKISS »

What really worries me is that Rads seems to be in charge if recruitment to fix an area that he’s helped create huge problems in over a number of years. I watched him on the out of your league podcast speaking glowingly about Brad Singleton and how he’d always thought he was our type of player over a number of seasons. Now Singleton has done ok and I think with the right support around him, he can continue to hold a place down but then you hear that we’ve been in for guys like Lawler and are now meant to have signed Mason and we just look like adding more of those props that are good characters, determined, aggressive in defence etc but sadly they won’t punch holes in teams. So we just continue to go round in circles and the young props like Havard and Byrne don’t have the required support around them.

I’ve lost all faith in Rads and whoever else is involved in recruitment being able to pick out a prop who will actually improve us. The proof is there that they’ve not been able to do it over many years and the rumours suggest they’re certainly not going to change the style of prop they’re looking at. We better get some big metre eating backs in on that basis.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

NICKYKISS wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:00 am What really worries me is that Rads seems to be in charge if recruitment to fix an area that he’s helped create huge problems in over a number of years. I watched him on the out of your league podcast speaking glowingly about Brad Singleton and how he’d always thought he was our type of player over a number of seasons. Now Singleton has done ok and I think with the right support around him, he can continue to hold a place down but then you hear that we’ve been in for guys like Lawler and are now meant to have signed Mason and we just look like adding more of those props that are good characters, determined, aggressive in defence etc but sadly they won’t punch holes in teams. So we just continue to go round in circles and the young props like Havard and Byrne don’t have the required support around them.

I’ve lost all faith in Rads and whoever else is involved in recruitment being able to pick out a prop who will actually improve us. The proof is there that they’ve not been able to do it over many years and the rumours suggest they’re certainly not going to change the style of prop they’re looking at. We better get some big metre eating backs in on that basis.
Mason is not great defensively.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Can never understand why we let Greenwood go!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

A number of those players are off contract, Hill, Jones, Garcia to name but three.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:09 pm
NICKYKISS wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:00 am What really worries me is that Rads seems to be in charge if recruitment to fix an area that he’s helped create huge problems in over a number of years. I watched him on the out of your league podcast speaking glowingly about Brad Singleton and how he’d always thought he was our type of player over a number of seasons. Now Singleton has done ok and I think with the right support around him, he can continue to hold a place down but then you hear that we’ve been in for guys like Lawler and are now meant to have signed Mason and we just look like adding more of those props that are good characters, determined, aggressive in defence etc but sadly they won’t punch holes in teams. So we just continue to go round in circles and the young props like Havard and Byrne don’t have the required support around them.

Mason is not great defensively.
He may kick on here I suppose but on paper at least he looks no better than those we’ve tried and failed with in the recent past.

Always prepared to give anyone a fair chance but you do just feel we need more at the minute.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Mike wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:38 am
pedro wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:05 am weve been like that for yhears but had backs making the yards when needed, Budgie, Manfredi, Gelling, Sarge and Gilly. Manfredi is just back and Bibby did ok at this but French and Hanley just dont cut the mustard doing it. We are really missing out injured backs to make up the hard yards for us.
It would be interesting to see the number of average yards made by the back 3 or 5 over the last 2-3 years and compare with this season. I'd say our yardage probably dropped significantly when Marshall got injured, because we'd gradually whittled down the players capable of making early tackle yardage to just him in the end, and he was picking up all the slack last season I thought.

In our current style, the back three making yardage is even more important than the forwards. They get the set rolling forwards and make it way easier for the pack to run at a retreating line. Its just not been happening recently.
totally agree
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:33 pm Can never understand why we let Greenwood go!
Repeated concussions and lack of confidence? He seemed to take at least another year to regain his place in any side in SL. I guess we just weren't prepared to wait.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mike wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:53 pm
josie andrews wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:33 pm Can never understand why we let Greenwood go!
Repeated concussions and lack of confidence? He seemed to take at least another year to regain his place in any side in SL. I guess we just weren't prepared to wait.
I know he had several concussions but we have given other players plenty time to recover fully.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Maybe Lam didn't rate him
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I sense Lam thought he was a bit soft and he’s not too far off but ultimately a big lump not running his weight but making ten metres is better than a small forward running it in at 100mph but getting manhandled and making 5-6 metres per carry. We had enough aggression and players who play with sheer guts and will to win to carry a guy like Greenwood IMO.