Huddersfield Giants and Wigan Warriors clash in serious doubt after Covid-19 outbreak

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Huddersfield Giants and Wigan Warriors clash in serious doubt after Covid-19 outbreak

Post by josie andrews »

The game is due to take place at the John Smith's Stadium on Friday night

Friday’s game between Huddersfield and Wigan is in serious doubt as Covid-19 once again threatens to cause major disruption to the Betfred Super League.

The PA news agency understands the Giants have reported at least five positive cases which would be enough to force them to close down training and take them to the brink of postponing the round nine fixture at the John Smith’s Stadium.

A decision is thought to be imminent.

It will be the first fixture of the 2021 Super League campaign to fall victim to the coronavirus pandemic, which caused havoc with the 2020 season and prompted the Rugby Football League to rule that league positions will be determined by win percentages.

The Championship match between Halifax and Sheffield Eagles in May was postponed after two Eagles players returned positive tests and five more were forced to isolate under track and trace regulations.

Sunday’s Women’s Super League derby between St Helens and Wigan has been called off after a Saints players tested positive in the wake of Saturday’s Challenge Cup final victory over York and more than five of her team-mates were ordered to self-isolate for 10 days.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... d-20764874
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Re: Huddersfield Giants and Wigan Warriors clash in serious doubt after Covid-19 outbreak

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Just booked my train and hotel too . Oh dear it is what it is trying times

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
fozzieskem

Re: Huddersfield Giants and Wigan Warriors clash in serious doubt after Covid-19 outbreak

Post by fozzieskem »

And this is why I won’t travel to away games this year far too much hassle potentially.

Hope you can sort your travel out and hotels EW
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:44 am And this is why I won’t travel to away games this year far too much hassle potentially.

Hope you can sort your travel out and hotels EW

Thanks mate will get something sorted

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

May sound harsh, but if the game is cancelled we should be given the win. I appreciate the trying times we remain in, but I don’t believe we should be looking at squeezing re-arranged fixtures into a mid-week slot at the detriment of our players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

ManxWarrior wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:59 am May sound harsh, but if the game is cancelled we should be given the win. I appreciate the trying times we remain in, but I don’t believe we should be looking at squeezing re-arranged fixtures into a mid-week slot at the detriment of our players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sorry but i disagree being awarded the win. i know you said it was harsh, but there is a chance that there will be more games cancelled, and hence the win % age as opposed to straight number of points. i do agree however that the game should only be replayed, if there is a window to play it in, and not force the players to be playing 3-4 times over a short time period
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I assume the plan is that it won’t be played at all, which is why they have a % system.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

They could play it Wembley weekend.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

No straw damn us wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:21 pm They could play it Wembley weekend.
They won’t do that as it detracts from the main event :roll:
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?