Wigan Warriors' off-contract players whose futures are unresolved

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Wigan Warriors' off-contract players whose futures are unresolved

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

AndyNick wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:59 pm I really don't get why everyone hates Sam Powell so much. In 2016 we had an absolute horror show with injuries, Micky Mc snapped his ankle against Brisbane and Powell stepped up. He was one of the best players we had that season.

He'd tackle a brick wall if it ran at him, he's not flash but does the basics right. Unless you're bringing in Daryl Clark, there's no one else in SL I'd replace him with. Certainly not McShane. He doesn't scoot as much as Clark but no hooker in the league does. Clark is a class act and a very harsh standard to judge someone against. Might as well drop Manfredi too because he's not as good as Josh Addo Carr!

It feels like people haven't forgiven him for being retained over Logan Tomkins (does he even play anymore??) let's be honest here, if Logan didn't have 2 brothers who could play a bit he would have been released long before getting into the 1st team squad yet people still hold it against him for some reason.
So a lot of Powell support comes off the back of the Micky max season but I think it’s often remembered differently than what actually happened

Powell did get a lot of praise the reason mainly being how well he did unexpectedly covering for an alien position - it wasn’t that he was amazing - it’s that no one expected him to be able to cover and he did and covered it as well as could be asked

However - it’s like having a space saver wheel on your car yes you will absolutely love the fact you had it and praise it for getting you home in exceptional circumstances but you don’t leave it on your car after! You put a proper wheel on

It isn’t about scooting or not scooting Powell can’t scoot he is the slowest Hooker in the league his passing is slow too the Only thing that you can say in his pro column is he tackles a lot

I’ve nothing against him great professional and seems like a good lad but he’s a failed half back who should never have been a long term solution

I can’t think of many hookers who offer less than him in the league tbh
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wigan_forever1985

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:47 pm Kyle Wood is 3 years older than Powell at 31!
And? James roby is 35 and a better player
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:54 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:52 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:29 pm

I would hope we have scouts to find us someone - they dont need to be available as in off contract for us to make something happen.

But having a quick glance on off contract for a realistic target - Kyle Wood
Sorry but you replace with better surely otherwise is just change for changes sake,it’s clearly not just Wigan who seem to be struggling to find players the market is stagnant clogged with the usual suspect who crop up every year or so
I think Kyle Wood offers more than Powell
Well we all have opinions don’t we but for me Wood is the essence of a journeyman player and while Powell isn’t a world beater he’s not bad as you’re making him out to be
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:41 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:47 pm Kyle Wood is 3 years older than Powell at 31!
Wood spelling with Powell maybe?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

medlocke wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:07 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:58 pm
Wes wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:03 pm

You can’t sign everybody, moving Powell to 13 maintains his high tackle count in the middle but let’s you sign a better hooker, he would also be a link player from forwards to backs with his passing ability and can also kick in play so no I’m not joking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Id rather we play Partington there personally.
Why?
Partington is playing well. He makes meters, tackles hard and throws the occasional pass round the back after drawing defenders

In terms of Powell not going to loose it’s Because we are lacking meters and Powell will offer 0 attacking ability at loose. His key strength is tackling which he can do at hooker.

Powell should either stay in the team as a hooker or be completely replaced.

Moving him to loose would be ludicrous.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:08 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:41 pm
Wood spelling with Powell maybe?
Spelling hookers is a luxury and most likely dieing out because of 8 subs.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:03 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:52 pm
Sorry but you replace with better surely otherwise is just change for changes sake,it’s clearly not just Wigan who seem to be struggling to find players the market is stagnant clogged with the usual suspect who crop up every year or so
Well we all have opinions don’t we but for me Wood is the essence of a journeyman player and while Powell isn’t a world beater he’s not bad as you’re making him out to be
Exactly!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wes

Post by Wes »

nathan_rugby wrote:
medlocke wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:07 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:58 pm Id rather we play Partington there personally.
Why?
Partington is playing well. He makes meters, tackles hard and throws the occasional pass round the back after drawing defenders

In terms of Powell not going to loose it’s Because we are lacking meters and Powell will offer 0 attacking ability at loose. His key strength is tackling which he can do at hooker.

Powell should either stay in the team as a hooker or be completely replaced.

Moving him to loose would be ludicrous.
Partingtons avg gain is 5.85m so not much of a metre maker really, the occasional pass pass round the back after drawing defenders is surely something an ex half can do better. Marker tackles Powell is top of the pile thus far in the season and he’s second in tackles out of the whole league!

Your missing the point really, if partington is that good start him at prop with singleton, sign 2 good props as I keep asking for, move Powell to 13 and sign a game changing 9.

Our pack as is, is making the metres it is, (both Powell and Partingron are in it) I’m moving Powell to allow for an addition that can change a game at 9, good hookers are more influential than good props.

Personally think Powell’s tackle/work rate shouldn’t be passed upon/ignored as you need that in the middle but we really would benefit from a game changing hooker.

Wigan_forever1985

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:02 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:03 pm

Exactly!
See this is it though I’m not saying he’s bad this seems to be the go to for people when Powell gets brought up

What I’m saying is he isn’t good! There’s a difference - he offers incredibly little from dummy half he tackles well and doesn’t make many mistakes - but I’ve said it before and say it again your hooker has their hands on the ball more than any other player so having a average player with a limited repertoire wouldn’t be how I would go about things for what is such an important role

When saints went through their rough patch a few years ago roby carried the entire team that’s the importance of having a good player there

Put it this way if powell wasn’t renewed do you think saints/cas/wire/hull/Leeds would be in for him? Or would it be straight to Leigh or widnes? Becaue I know where my money is

Being not bad doesn’t make you good - and being a good guy doesn’t make up for lack of ability
Wes

Post by Wes »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
josie andrews wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:02 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:03 pm Well we all have opinions don’t we but for me Wood is the essence of a journeyman player and while Powell isn’t a world beater he’s not bad as you’re making him out to be
Exactly!
See this is it though I’m not saying he’s bad this seems to be the go to for people when Powell gets brought up

What I’m saying is he isn’t good! There’s a difference - he offers incredibly little from dummy half he tackles well and doesn’t make many mistakes - but I’ve said it before and say it again your hooker has their hands on the ball more than any other player so having a average player with a limited repertoire wouldn’t be how I would go about things for what is such an important role

When saints went through their rough patch a few years ago roby carried the entire team that’s the importance of having a good player there

Put it this way if powell wasn’t renewed do you think saints/cas/wire/hull/Leeds would be in for him? Or would it be straight to Leigh or widnes? Becaue I know where my money is

Being not bad doesn’t make you good - and being a good guy doesn’t make up for lack of ability
I think we are on similar lines with different people on Powell except I probably rate him more than you.

IMO he’s a very good rugby player but he ain’t an hooker, you need them on your team and coaches will pick him as he’s a defensive star machine! For me though try him at 13 (still get the defensive stats) but once upright he has a good passing game so use it.

Is he gona make the hard yards? No but neither does Partington.

Lose Isa keep Powell for me.