Wigan Warriors' off-contract players whose futures are unresolved

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: Wigan Warriors' off-contract players whose futures are unresolved

Post by Barney841 »

I wouldn’t get rid of powell, I’d have him as back up hooker.
You know he’s gonna give his all and is a great leader in defence but the down side of his game he offers no threat in attack but in his defence you could say we’ve never had the props making good yards for him to make a quick scoot from the play the ball to catch the opposite team off guard.
Think I’ll say though I don’t think that’s part of his game and we need a hooker like that.
Priority is though props to make those good hard yards.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

But players such as Roby come around very rarely, he still is class and was world class in his pomp you simply cant compare Powell to him, i dont think Powell is having a good season hes been poor so far but so have many of the team he does what's asked of him and no more perhaps because he doesn't have the skillset players such as Roby (certainly) has.

Your probably right in that when his time comes to move him on (I think he will finish his time out at Wigan btw)then yes maybe the lesser lights would be in for him but that can be said of many of the young lads that leave Wigan,theyre taught a certain way and it doesn't fit in easily in other teams, going back to Powell I wonder if his loss of form is down to the six again rule (which really needs to be stopped now and scrums brought back) the speed of the game clearly has gone up with little breaks most sides seem to be using 2 hookers a game now rather than just one, but thats down to Lam I suppose and his tactics.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:02 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:03 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:54 pm

I think Kyle Wood offers more than Powell
Well we all have opinions don’t we but for me Wood is the essence of a journeyman player and while Powell isn’t a world beater he’s not bad as you’re making him out to be
Exactly!
He's not Wigan standard
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:09 pm
Well we all have opinions don’t we but for me Wood is the essence of a journeyman player and while Powell isn’t a world beater he’s not bad as you’re making him out to be
Exactly!
See this is it though I’m not saying he’s bad this seems to be the go to for people when Powell gets brought up

What I’m saying is he isn’t good! There’s a difference - he offers incredibly little from dummy half he tackles well and doesn’t make many mistakes - but I’ve said it before and say it again your hooker has their hands on the ball more than any other player so having a average player with a limited repertoire wouldn’t be how I would go about things for what is such an important role

When saints went through their rough patch a few years ago roby carried the entire team that’s the importance of having a good player there

Put it this way if powell wasn’t renewed do you think saints/cas/wire/hull/Leeds would be in for him? Or would it be straight to Leigh or widnes? Becaue I know where my money is

Being not bad doesn’t make you good - and being a good guy doesn’t make up for lack of ability
Fair one, hooker is still a key position and Powell is not cutting it with ball in hand. How would he do behind a dominant pack? Defensively he is strong, no question, there is the conundrum.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:23 pm But players such as Roby come around very rarely, he still is class and was world class in his pomp you simply cant compare Powell to him, i dont think Powell is having a good season hes been poor so far but so have many of the team he does what's asked of him and no more perhaps because he doesn't have the skillset players such as Roby (certainly) has.

Your probably right in that when his time comes to move him on (I think he will finish his time out at Wigan btw)then yes maybe the lesser lights would be in for him but that can be said of many of the young lads that leave Wigan,theyre taught a certain way and it doesn't fit in easily in other teams, going back to Powell I wonder if his loss of form is down to the six again rule (which really needs to be stopped now and scrums brought back) the speed of the game clearly has gone up with little breaks most sides seem to be using 2 hookers a game now rather than just one, but thats down to Lam I suppose and his tactics.
Not in Australia they don’t re Roby.
Charriots Offiah

Let’s see if O’Neill progress
Charriots Offiah

medlocke wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:38 pm
Exactly!
He's not Wigan standard
Wigan standard faded 30 years ago
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:13 am
medlocke wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:38 pm

Exactly!
He's not Wigan standard
Wigan standard faded 30 years ago
Agreed,the salary cap saw to that.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Barney841 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:19 pm I wouldn’t get rid of powell, I’d have him as back up hooker.
You know he’s gonna give his all and is a great leader in defence but the down side of his game he offers no threat in attack but in his defence you could say we’ve never had the props making good yards for him to make a quick scoot from the play the ball to catch the opposite team off guard.
Think I’ll say though I don’t think that’s part of his game and we need a hooker like that.
Priority is though props to make those good hard yards.
He will probably be earning too much to be a back up player.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

He might not be peoples cup of tea but Powell is to good to be a backup hooker.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.