Wigan Warriors' off-contract players whose futures are unresolved

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Wigan Warriors' off-contract players whose futures are unresolved

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:29 am He might not be peoples cup of tea but Powell is to good to be a backup hooker.
He's not good enough even for that. Why would anyone want him as a backup any more than as a first choice when he can only do half the job i.e. defend? His failings are obvious and whoever said if he was let go from Wigan he'd end up at somewhere like Widnes was spot on. I think Barney is just being charitable when he says have him as a back up hooker.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:50 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:29 am He might not be peoples cup of tea but Powell is to good to be a backup hooker.
He's not good enough even for that. Why would anyone want him as a backup any more than as a first choice when he can only do half the job i.e. defend? His failings are obvious and whoever said if he was let go from Wigan he'd end up at somewhere like Widnes was spot on. I think Barney is just being charitable when he says have him as a back up hooker.
Correct

Having a 9 with some attacking ability opens up so much opportunity. Just look at what McShane does at Cas, what Clarke does at Warrington and what Roby has done over the years at Saints.

Cameron Smith didn't really have lightening speed or much ability to break the line but the little things he did in attack, the way he marshalled the team and directed play and the game was so so important.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:50 pm
I can't disagree because you're correct

The way we play - a quick thinking hooker is an absolute must

He is a solid club man and puts effort in but he shouldn't have an increase in order to keep him we need to prioritize recruits and retention and I'm sure he ended up as one of our top earners when we extended his contract and then Widnes allegedly showed interest and he got yet another improved deal

As for Wane - he hasn't even selected him for the World Cup and Wane was one of his "biggest fans" shows how much he had dropped in performances over the years

The only reason we would ever look to retain him is because simply put, we have no one else on our books
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
moto748

Post by moto748 »

It doesn't seem five minutes ago I was reading left, right and centre about how Sam Powell's game had blossomed to a whole new level (with AL usually getting the credit for that), unlike the bad old Shaun Wane days.

All that seems to have been quietly forgotten.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

2 tries and 8 assists from both Roby and McShane last season
11 tries and 4 assists from Powell last season (4th top try scorer in Super League)

Powell isn't half as bad as some people want to make out. I don't think he's playing particularly well this year but how many of our players actually are? He's not a hooker who naturally wants to take the ball out of dummy half but opportunities for him to do so playing in our pack this year will also be fairly limited.

Last season Powell averaged 3.5 runs from dummy half per game and just under 30 metres.
This season it's 1.2 runs from dummy half and about 13 metres per game.

I'd say that's more to do with our poor team performances than a massive drop in form from Powell.

I don't think Powell is in the McShane, Clark, Roby class and if we had the chance to sign someone of that quality I'd be happy for the club to send Powell on his way, but I don't think that kind of quality is easy to come by. For me Powell is in the tier below those. He's not perfect, he's a bit limited in some aspects, but the same can be said of most players in any position. Once you get past the real all round athletes you get the players who are good at some things but weaker in other areas.

I do think we'd be more dangerous with another option at hooker and someone who might be a bit more direct, but I don't think it's our biggest issue right now. Most teams play with interchange hookers and perhaps that's something Lam was looking into this season before injuries struck. Hastings being the obvious option to move into dummy half.

If our form does pick up over the next few games but Powell doesn't get close to 2020 form then I'd think a change at hooker a more urgent priority but at the moment I'd say, with recruitment looking difficult, getting rid of Powell at all costs should not be on the agenda.

Certainly running from dummy half isn't something that will prevent a team from being an attacking threat. Catalans have McIlorum and Da Costa as 9's and they don't carry the ball. Mourgue is used sparingly at 9 and makes an impact, and perhaps that brief use of a more direct player is something we lack.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Powell is some people’s whipping boy,like Smith before him it is what it is
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:08 pm Powell is some people’s whipping boy,like Smith before him it is what it is
Smith got so so much stick on here but we haven’t replaced what he brought to the team still.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:01 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:08 pm Powell is some people’s whipping boy,like Smith before him it is what it is
Smith got so so much stick on here but we haven’t replaced what he brought to the team still.
And someone gets it at last.

I agree wholeheartedly with you.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

What about hodgson from Canberra. He's probably properly unsettled at the moment?

Nor sure he's any better than average though. Is he a step up on Powell, I doubt it.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:43 pm What about hodgson from Canberra. He's probably properly unsettled at the moment?

Nor sure he's any better than average though. Is he a step up on Powell, I doubt it.
Brisbane bound.