Wigan Warriors' off-contract players whose futures are unresolved

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Wigan Warriors' off-contract players whose futures are unresolved

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:44 pm
Mike wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:43 pm What about hodgson from Canberra. He's probably properly unsettled at the moment?

Nor sure he's any better than average though. Is he a step up on Powell, I doubt it.
Brisbane bound.
Shame really. Good wages though I'd imagine.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:16 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:01 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:08 pm Powell is some people’s whipping boy,like Smith before him it is what it is
Smith got so so much stick on here but we haven’t replaced what he brought to the team still.
And someone gets it at last.

I agree wholeheartedly with you.
I always got it 😉
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:26 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:01 pm

Smith got so so much stick on here but we haven’t replaced what he brought to the team still.

I always got it 😉
Oh I know you did Josie,after all we often talked about how he’d be missed and more to the was missed,I was referring of course to the wider board 😀
HDS

Post by HDS »

Going off subject slightly there is a lot of talk about Powell's lack of go forward. He is spending a lot of energy on tackling.

I have always thought that Tommy Leuluai is more effective at hooker then he his at half back. Perhaps
Tommy having a spell at hooker would provide some of the go forward we are missing.

Sam can have a breather and maybe come back on and provide a better attacking option then he has so far this season?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

HDS wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:24 am Going off subject slightly there is a lot of talk about Powell's lack of go forward. He is spending a lot of energy on tackling.

I have always thought that Tommy Leuluai is more effective at hooker then he his at half back. Perhaps
Tommy having a spell at hooker would provide some of the go forward we are missing.

Sam can have a breather and maybe come back on and provide a better attacking option then he has so far this season?
I just don't think Powell has the attacking attributes a some hookers do have, don't think its anything to do with being tired or else you would see it in the first half, which we don't.

In terms of Tommy at hooker, I fully agree, I have always thought he is a better 9 than 7 but that doesn't seem to be the case in Lam's view. He opted to play Hastings at 9 last year and keep Tommy at 7.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:01 am
josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:26 pm

I always got it 😉
Oh I know you did Josie,after all we often talked about how he’d be missed and more to the was missed,I was referring of course to the wider board 😀
Sorry but no - Smith was another incredibly average player - some people had this notion that he was this great organising general he absolutely was not - he was another slow limited average player who was never really good enough to play for Wigan - this idea that we never replaced him absolute nonsense Smith left us at age 29 so not exactly old and what did he do after in the 3 years that followed before he found his level at Widnes - got passed around and not played because he wasn't good enough - no matter how nice he was or how good he trained or how committed he was not good enough - he only played for st helens because of KFC

I hate the idea people think certain players are "whipping boys" - its always the same kinda player too - no-one minds your Zak Hardakers or Gareth Hocks getting a bit of stick but start calling out the "solid professionals" and suddenly they are the whipping boy.

Smith was a poor half back, Powell is a poor hooker - its nothing personal, but the modern game is dynamic you need to have speed and if you havent got that you need to be incredibly smart with the ball which neither of these are.

Powell is Smith Mk2 really hes just been luckier- think about it imagine that Logan Tomkins had turned out to be a really good hooker. Powell would of stayed at half back - and he would have never had made it because he wasnt good enough to be a half back for Wigan - the main reason he starts for us and plays here is that we literally have had no other hookers in our team so he has had no competition. Im sure Wigan dont mind him there because we know how much Radlinkski loves players who are triers and he wont kick up any controversy
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:08 pm Powell is some people’s whipping boy,like Smith before him it is what it is
I don’t think powell or smith were whipping boy’s. All people say is the truth about there weakness’s in their game.
And I think Hastings and Harry smith are well worthy replacements of Matty smith.
I think it’s the coaching where it’s going wrong and that’s why it seems like we haven’t replaced Matty smith
Wes

Post by Wes »

Odd isn’t it though how Powell is the most expensive hooker on Super Leagues Fantasy Rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wes wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:37 am Odd isn’t it though how Powell is the most expensive hooker on Super Leagues Fantasy Rugby.

And?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wes

Post by Wes »

nathan_rugby wrote:
Wes wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:37 am Odd isn’t it though how Powell is the most expensive hooker on Super Leagues Fantasy Rugby.

And?
It’s odd, usually the highest value players are statistically the best yet on here he’s getting slammed soooo odd don’t you think?