Wigan Warriors' off-contract players whose futures are unresolved

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors' off-contract players whose futures are unresolved

Post by josie andrews »

Seven players are off-contract at the end of the year at the DW Stadium.

A number of high-profile names are off-contract at the end of the year.

Like every club across Super League, Wigan Warriors will be making recruitment plans for next season.

But the club also has plenty of retention business to tie up as the season rolls on too.

Jackson Hastings and Oliver Gildart are bound for Wests Tigers in 2022 and Joe Bullock has signed for Warrington but the future of seven other players remains uncertain.

Here are the players off-contract at the end of the season.

Bevan French

There is a catch to French's entry on this list, as the contract he signed last year included an option for 2022.

All being well, that will be activated for obvious reasons.

French, currently sidelined by a hamstring injury, is one of Super League's biggest box office attractions and has set the world alight since his move to the competition. Time will tell.

Dom Manfredi

The winger’s future beyond this season continues to look uncertain, with several Super League clubs weighing up whether to make a move for him.

Rugby League Live understands that the management representing Manfredi, who is off-contract at the end of this season, have been in contact with numerous top-flight sides informing them of his availability for 2022 and beyond.

Thomas Leuluai

Leuluai put retirement talk on hold by signing a new one-year contract after an excellent season in 2020.

Clearly, the Kiwi will hang the boots up sooner rather than later.

But if he keeps performing as he did last year, fans and team-mates will be keen to see him go round once again.

Sam Powell

The hooker is Wigan through and through and it's hard to envisage him leaving the club anytime soon.

Nevertheless, he is off-contract and his future has yet to be resolved.

He has become an integral performer in recent years and Wigan will want him to stay – especially if Leuluai retires.

Willie Isa

Once dubbed by Shaun Wane as one of his best-ever signings, Isa is off-contract at the end of the 2021 campaign.

The back-rower is 32 now and entering the back-end of his career.

But his consistency and reliability are always nice to call upon.

Tony Clubb

The seasoned campaigner is currently serving an eight-game ban for using 'unacceptable language based on national or ethnic origin'.

Off contract at the end of this year and with his best days behind him, the 33-year-old could possible retire if he is not handed a new deal.

Jake Bibby

Bibby joined the club on a two-year deal from Salford and had a solid first year, playing 19 times and scoring in the Grand Final.

He has proved himself again this season, scoring plenty of tries in the opening weeks of the campaign to underline his class.

Bibby recently spoke of his desire to sign a new deal to keep him at Wigan beyond this season.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-20765995
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pearsy

Re: Wigan Warriors' off-contract players whose futures are unresolved

Post by pearsy »

Wish there was more off contract after there last outing
Stanfax

Post by Stanfax »

Thought I read somewhere that Bevan's option was in his favour..?
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

French-hopefully he stays and extends long term.

Manfredi-Keep on a 2 year deal unless they have a top replacement lined up and can’t afford both.

Bibby- keep on a 2 or 3 year deal.

Leuluai- Guess he’ll retire.

Powell-Keep on a 2 or 3 year deal.

Isa-keep on a 1 or 2 year deal.

Clubb- Make the decision that should’ve been made 2 years ago.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

For me:

French - Extend the contract if he's happy to stay. Exactly what you want from a Super League fullback.

Manfredi - If the club offered him a new deal I wouldn't be disappointed. If they allowed him to leave to bring in someone they thought might offer more or who would strengthen the centres I'd be okay too. If we're going to have to cut some costs and have a smaller squad then Manfredi's injury issues will be a worry.

Leuluai - Definitely shouldn't sign on for another year. I'd say it's debatable whether he should still be our starting 7. Smith has done a good enough job and didn't deserve to lose his starting spot. Also, as tough and physical as Leuluai is defensively, it's not like he's flawless in that department. It's time to move on.

Powell - Surely he has to stay? He might not be everyone's cup of tea but I'm not sure who we could sign that is guaranteed to be better? We're the only team in Super League without a recognised back-up 9 and most teams play with an interchange 9, so I think we need another option there. O'Neill and Burouh might come into contention next year though. If we had someone a bit more direct to come on at 9 we'd possibly pose a bigger threat but the best available is Parcell and he'd likely be too expensive as I've no doubt the club have Powell on a decent wage.

Isa - He's been a useful player but surely he's surplus to requirements now. If Faz and Bateman are our two back rowers and play 80 minutes where does Isa fit in? He could only end up taking the place of our younger forwards like Smithies, Partington or Shorrocks. I think it's time to move him on, unless our recruitment hits major issues, in which case he's not the worst player to have as an extra body to chuck down the middle.

Clubb - I'm sure he'll be offered a new contract for reasons no one can quite understand.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Let go of:-
French
Isa
Club
Leuluia
Powell

Keep:-
Manfredi
Bibby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Wes wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:18 pm Let go of:-
French
Isa
Club
Leuluia
Powell

Manfredi
Bibby
The problem is replacing some of these positions, for me

Let go:
Clubb
Leuluia

Keep:
French
Bibby

Need replacement first:
Powell
Manfredi
Isa
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Keep
Isa
Bibby
French

Bin off everyone else
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:10 pm Keep
Isa
Bibby
French

Bin off everyone else
I heard that the club were trying to bring Eddy Pettybourne back on a short-term deal!
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Wes wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:18 pm Let go of:-
French
Isa
Club
Leuluia
Powell

Manfredi
Bibby