Club statement

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Williams to Wire.

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:26 pm Very annoying that we potentially held back from offering Toby King more money in anticipation of using the money for George. He would have been a quality signing.

Its a Paul Deacon type of signing we need to partner Smith anyway whilst he is still being nurtured.

I would have been dissapointed if we had gone after King, brilliant player but he's not what we need and isn't a game winner by himself.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Sezer would be a great move for me and an ideal foil for Smith or Field but it sounds like he’s going back to Australia. I personally don’t think we need to go overboard on spending on a halfback. We will need one but I’d rather get the pack sorted and give the halves some space to play in. If you do that then you can get by with a couple of good halves and a good fullback.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:26 pm Very annoying that we potentially held back from offering Toby King more money in anticipation of using the money for George. He would have been a quality signing.

Its a Paul Deacon type of signing we need to partner Smith anyway whilst he is still being nurtured.
I am a bit confused Nathan, you think that Toby King is a quality centre but Tom Trbojevic and Latrell Mitchell are not!
Charriots Offiah

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:02 pm Don't go there josie I watch a lot of amateur rugby. And saints scouts are beating us hands down at signing young talent up.
Spot on. Saints are beating us in all facets of the game and it is something that IFL and Rads need to rectify.
Charriots Offiah

Mike wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:26 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:51 am
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:33 am My only slight question over all this is…. For Warrington to physically sign Williams someone from wire has to have signed for someone else, they need to be off the cap before Williams can be on the cap. So the paperwork has to have been signed for a warrington player leaving before Williams can join. And I’ve seen nothing of any wire players signing for another club. Apart from the odd Widdop/Austin rumour
I'd take ratchford in a heartbeat so underrated
We should have gone for him the last time he was up. Let's get him now.
We did, he chose Warrington!
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

NICKYKISS wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:26 pm I wouldn’t be going back with any offers if I were Wigan. This is a good halfback, not a World Class one. He isn’t worth offering silly money for. You don’t pay fortunes for halfbacks with a couple of glaring weaknesses that make you need to get him a style of partner that is perfect to cover his weaknesses (long kicking and organising the team). I’d have loved him back for sensible money and that would still have been marquee money more than likely but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Move on and look elsewhere but sort the main issues first. 1-A new coach and 2-a couple of quality forwards.
Sums up my view perfectly.

What is more worrying is the fact that Wigan clearly DID want him and failed (with a massive salary cap advantage).

The club needs a VERY big signing, and soon.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:16 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:09 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:07 am I'm struggling to understand what Danson is going to bring to Wigan. If we have lost out on our main target for the sake of lets say £150k. Why on earth has a billionaire part owner not just gave the club that money. they'd get it back and probably more off the back of his signing.

and before anyone says "billionaires are billionaires for a reason" its 150k to a billionaire.

Its like average joe giving £15 to the club to seal a massive transfer. Ridiculous that its got to this. Biggest club in the country is being ruined day by day.
It’s great spending other people’s money isn’t it?

You don’t know his cash reserves do you but because he’s a billionaire he must have money,it does annoy me this sort of post
A Billionaire has millions in the bank, that's a fact. and its not as if I'm asking him to stump up millions. its a couple hundred grand for his hometown club over a 4 year period. hardly asking for the world is it?
No it's not. Dave Whelhan wasn't a billionaire but put his hand in his pocket. Wealthy people don't become involved in sports clubs other than to indulge their passions. Certainly not to make money as far as RL is concerned.

How do people think Wire is financed? It's not off the back of crowds and the TV money. Saints directors have financed them by millions in loans.

When IL took over I remember people saying he was a wealthy businessman as if this was a positive thing but after a quick bit of research I was commenting that he was not that well off he'd be able to constantly bank roll the club, wasn't as wealthy as Whelan and he's definitely not as wealthy as Wire's owner. He's bailed Wigan out of losses a couple of times I believe but he's just not wealthy enough to constantly do this or fund players particularly because he's now effectively retired having sold his software business a few years ago.

Why anyone thinks we don't need a wealthy backer who can either use his personal fortune to bankroll the club or sponsor the club through one of his businesses I have no idea.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Wintergreen wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:45 pm
NICKYKISS wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:26 pm I wouldn’t be going back with any offers if I were Wigan. This is a good halfback, not a World Class one. He isn’t worth offering silly money for. You don’t pay fortunes for halfbacks with a couple of glaring weaknesses that make you need to get him a style of partner that is perfect to cover his weaknesses (long kicking and organising the team). I’d have loved him back for sensible money and that would still have been marquee money more than likely but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Move on and look elsewhere but sort the main issues first. 1-A new coach and 2-a couple of quality forwards.
Sums up my view perfectly.

What is more worrying is the fact that Wigan clearly DID want him and failed (with a massive salary cap advantage).

The club needs a VERY big signing, and soon.
It is a bit worrying but I’m hoping patience will pay off and they’ll have a few rabbits up their sleeves. It’s a huge rebuild job we need in the off season. When you’re already thin on numbers in the squad and thin on quality in the front row and you’re then letting a number of quality players go, you can’t afford not to replace each and every one. The kids in behind now are too young to step up yet, so if we lose 6 or 7, we need 6 or 7 coming in. We also can’t afford to just sign 6 or 7 project players because the quality won’t be around them to kick them on a level.

If the rumour of Thornley, Miski and Mason are true, then there has to be 3 or 4 high quality signings on top if we have any chance of competing where we want to.
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

Why is everyone talking about “our salary advantage”

The key point wire can pay him £500,000 a year as marque, and he will have a cap value of £150,000 (top of my head figures)

We could pay him the same for a cap value of £75,000

But at the end of the day wire have beaten our bid, the only advantage we had was we could fit another £75k signing alongside

Wire have decided he’s worth more than we are prepared to pay, or Williams has looked at the packs he’ll be behind and decided wires pack looks better, and who can blame him
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Not that I'm disputing any information but has this been announced yet?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.