Club statement

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
keptinthedarkfans

Re: Williams to Wire.

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:46 pm Not that I'm disputing any information but has this been announced yet?
No not yet. Wire have to unload before he can put pen to paper says in next few days. Hope it's widdop as reported . In my mind that weakens wire for me not a good swap imo
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Lazy J wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:37 pm
But at the end of the day wire have beaten our bid, the only advantage we had was we could fit another £75k signing alongside
The salary cap advance means we have an extra £75k to fling at a quality player without breaking the cap. It doesn't mean we have to go for one who is asking for £75k.

It also means we get a half back for £75k on the cap whereas now if he's gone to Wire and if we sign a new half back with Hastings leaving that wage is likely to punch a bigger hole in our cap than Williams wage would.

So not signing Williams has a double impact. Less cap space outright and possibly even less cap space again as any replacement half back will have all their wage count on the cap.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:46 pm Not that I'm disputing any information but has this been announced yet?
No, Not yet, but what I said before is...

Warrington "Could not afford Williams under the cap"

So surely they have to have a player leave before George puts pen to paper.

If that hasn't been signed yet, then George can not sign.

Wigan thought he had signed, then I was told we gave up, then I was told we are still trying.

I think in a nutshell Williams is going to Warrington, they just need to formalise a player leaving first.

Rumours of Austin to Leeds
Rumours of Inglis been de registered
Rumours of Widdop to Aus

I think a huge offer from Wigan last minute turns this in our favour again, as seems to be the case last week. Warrington's final offer turned it their way.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Lazy J wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:37 pm Why is everyone talking about “our salary advantage”

The key point wire can pay him £500,000 a year as marque, and he will have a cap value of £150,000 (top of my head figures)

We could pay him the same for a cap value of £75,000

But at the end of the day wire have beaten our bid, the only advantage we had was we could fit another £75k signing alongside

Wire have decided he’s worth more than we are prepared to pay, or Williams has looked at the packs he’ll be behind and decided wires pack looks better, and who can blame him
It's not the £75k, it is the fact that he will only cost £75k on our cap and hence we could sign him right away without having to ship out any players as we have the room. Wire will need to make room on their cap by releasing a player(s) to a value of £150k before he can sign for them (assuming that they are paying up to the cap level now).
Fizz Bomb

Post by Fizz Bomb »

I would help Warrington out with their salary cap problems. Ratchford, Cooper, and young Matty Ashton for a start.I would play Ratchford at 6, with Smith at 7, Ashton on the wing, and Cooper as a starting prop, ( although Lam will probably play him at fullback to see how he goes ). As long as we stay away from Hill there could be some good signing coming out of Warrington and they obviously play cheap because they never have any cap problems. Two of those players are 31 + but it would get us out of the hole we are currently in.
If we get one, who knows what a new coach would get out of our young players. Wane and Lam in my oppinion have been lacking in providing game awareness. Wane sides play a certain way and it’s anybodies guess how Lam’s sides play. It,s a short term fix for possibly 2 - 3 seasons. Then we could see where to go and who is available then. I hope John Bateman sticks with us and doesn’t get homesick for Yorkshire, because we badly need him.
We have the history Sentelins wish they had
mackie1981

Post by mackie1981 »

With Williams costing Wire £150k on their cap and King Rumoured to be on £170k. That’s a heck of a lot of their cap on 2 players. Surely more than one will have to make way for Williams ?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:02 pm
Lazy J wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:37 pm Why is everyone talking about “our salary advantage”

The key point wire can pay him £500,000 a year as marque, and he will have a cap value of £150,000 (top of my head figures)

Wire have decided he’s worth more than we are prepared to pay, or Williams has looked at the packs he’ll be behind and decided wires pack looks better, and who can blame him
It's not the £75k, it is the fact that he will only cost £75k on our cap and hence we could sign him right away without having to ship out any players as we have the room. Wire will need to make room on their cap by releasing a player(s) to a value of £150k before he can sign for them (assuming that they are paying up to the cap level now).
Having cap space available is different to having funds.

We apparently have enough space at the DW to admit all season ticket holders so without knowing the exact previous figures (can't find them) and only judging off what the crowd is when the stadium is empty we are between 2000-4000 ticket holders Down?

That's alot of income loss.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:08 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:02 pm

Having cap space available is different to having funds.

We apparently have enough space at the DW to admit all season ticket holders so without knowing the exact previous figures (can't find them) and only judging off what the crowd is when the stadium is empty we are between 2000-4000 ticket holders Down?

That's alot of income loss.
I agree with you,more worryingly they seem to be getting ready to offer tickets that are left to general sale,so season ticket sales seem to have fallen through the floor,as you say that’s a huge loss
pedro

Post by pedro »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:53 pm
No not yet. Wire have to unload before he can put pen to paper says in next few days. Hope it's widdop as reported . In my mind that weakens wire for me not a good swap imo
you think Widdop is better than Williams?
pedro

Post by pedro »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:56 pm
No, Not yet, but what I said before is...

Warrington "Could not afford Williams under the cap"

So surely they have to have a player leave before George puts pen to paper.

If that hasn't been signed yet, then George can not sign.

Wigan thought he had signed, then I was told we gave up, then I was told we are still trying.

I think in a nutshell Williams is going to Warrington, they just need to formalise a player leaving first.

Rumours of Austin to Leeds
Rumours of Inglis been de registered
Rumours of Widdop to Aus

I think a huge offer from Wigan last minute turns this in our favour again, as seems to be the case last week. Warrington's final offer turned it their way.
that makes no difference, if hes played a game his full cap hits the books