Club statement

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mauny6

Williams

Post by Mauny6 »

So it looks like Warrington have signed Williams on a marquee contract and should be announced soon.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Williams to Wire.

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:16 pm
southportcdm wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:16 pm It does look like season ticket sales are well down as expected although don't forget some season ticket holders may not yet feel safe enough to apply for match tickets for the HKR game. With the crowd restrictions likely to be extended for at least another month we'll lose out on some of the bigger crowds that may have been tempted by games against wire and saints. I'd also suggest that if IL and the rest of the club's management looks at the general dismay displayed by fans on this message board over the past few days, they should be more worried about the numberof season ticket holders next season. Many fans have lost the habit of atteneding games regularly and I can guess that some will wait to see what kind of start we make to the season before buying tickets for selected games. What percentage of our season ticket holders are so 'dyed in the wool' that they'll buy when the squad is looking so flimsy? I am a pessimist by nature so I hope I'm wrong but it's all looking a bit depressing.
That's a catch 22 though, the club has to spend accordingly so reduced numbers means a reduction in cost.

I don't blame people who don't want to attend for x y z, but at the same time I don't expect to see the same level of spending from the club if the income is reduced.

I suppose those that drop of due to lack of investment have to accept they are part of the reason though.

Someone will probably say we'll the owners need to spend to get people to come back but we know that isn't true, big names will only bring back people who are aware of who the big names are and I imagine those people already still turn up.

Did Burgess result in a ST increase? Did Sam Ts return?

Did Dr Ks spending bring any fans to Salford?

I'm still of the opinion the only way to get crowds to return is to make match days an family event day with hours of build up around the ground, sadly due to limited saturday and Sunday games it's not going to happen.
More than anything Wiganer's want to watch a winning team. In order to compete at this level there needs to be investment. We are stuck in an ever decreasing circle at the moment.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Disappointing as it is that George is going to Wire it is tempered, to me, by the fact that in the past our returnees haven't played anything like as well upon their return as before they left. Whilst I would have liked him to re-sign for us he hasn't and we have to get used to it.
Our backs next season with those who haven't declared their intention to leave could be - French, Bibby, Hardaker, Thornley, Marshall, Field, Smith.

There are clearly improvements could be made there with quality signings but three players have pace that could scare the living daylights out of the opposition. French, Marshall & Field have pace no other club can match. The test will be in bringing in quality players to improve the backs and allow those three to hit the gaps provided.

One other matter needs resolving and that is Head Coach. Rumours are abound that Shaun Wane could return with various assistants named. Whoever it is has to be someone who can prepare us for the biggest and most important games.
Shaun's last game was the 2018 GF win.
Who ever the new coach is he has to be an individual who is capable of getting us to finals and winning them once again.
If Shaun is to be the man that's fine by me!
bertina

Post by bertina »

medlocke wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:21 pm You would think we where trying to sign Jonathon Thurston at the height of his powers the way some fans are going on ffs :lol:
I totally agree Meds. I was never his biggest fan when he played for us before. Went missing too often when it was tough going, and that was behind a better pack than we have now.
I’ve said it previously, we need 2 good big props and a 9, and without them it won’t make any difference if we get George Williams, Jonathan Thurston, and Andrew Johns. Halves can’t do anything if your forwards can’t get you out of your own 25.
BO****KS to George Williams.!!!, let him go to wire. It might be their year next year.😂😂😂😂
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

bertina wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:34 pm
medlocke wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:21 pm You would think we where trying to sign Jonathon Thurston at the height of his powers the way some fans are going on ffs :lol:
I totally agree Meds. I was never his biggest fan when he played for us before. Went missing too often when it was tough going, and that was behind a better pack than we have now.
I’ve said it previously, we need 2 good big props and a 9, and without them it won’t make any difference if we get George Williams, Jonathan Thurston, and Andrew Johns. Halves can’t do anything if your forwards can’t get you out of your own 25.
BO****KS to George Williams.!!!, let him go to wire. It might be their year next year.😂😂😂😂
…..Or the year after….or the year after that ………..😉
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
bertina

Post by bertina »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:52 pm
pedro wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:04 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:53 pm

No not yet. Wire have to unload before he can put pen to paper says in next few days. Hope it's widdop as reported . In my mind that weakens wire for me not a good swap imo
you think Widdop is better than Williams?
Yes i think he is .
So do I.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

pedro wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:05 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:56 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:46 pm Not that I'm disputing any information but has this been announced yet?
No, Not yet, but what I said before is...

Warrington "Could not afford Williams under the cap"

So surely they have to have a player leave before George puts pen to paper.

If that hasn't been signed yet, then George can not sign.

Wigan thought he had signed, then I was told we gave up, then I was told we are still trying.

I think in a nutshell Williams is going to Warrington, they just need to formalise a player leaving first.

Rumours of Austin to Leeds
Rumours of Inglis been de registered
Rumours of Widdop to Aus

I think a huge offer from Wigan last minute turns this in our favour again, as seems to be the case last week. Warrington's final offer turned it their way.
that makes no difference, if hes played a game his full cap hits the books

It doesn't, its a live cap with an accumulative total over 365 days. However you have to be below the average constantly.

Wire release a player now then only a percentage of that players cap value will be counted on this years cap.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Dan2266 wrote:
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:56 pm No, Not yet, but what I said before is...

Warrington "Could not afford Williams under the cap"

So surely they have to have a player leave before George puts pen to paper.

If that hasn't been signed yet, then George can not sign.

Wigan thought he had signed, then I was told we gave up, then I was told we are still trying.

I think in a nutshell Williams is going to Warrington, they just need to formalise a player leaving first.

Rumours of Austin to Leeds
Rumours of Inglis been de registered
Rumours of Widdop to Aus

I think a huge offer from Wigan last minute turns this in our favour again, as seems to be the case last week. Warrington's final offer turned it their way.

It doesn't, its a live cap with an accumulative total over 365 days. However you have to be below the average constantly.

Wire release a player now then only a percentage of that players cap value will be counted on this years cap.
That’s only true if they don’t pay him off. Unless they can claim injury and let insurance deal with it they can’t just basically terminate a players contract. They may try the injury route with Inglis but the RFL have to agree and it’s a bit transparent why they would be doing this. Mind you it’s the RFL so they will probably allow it.
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

i remember people offering to take williams to the airport when he was last here .he may have played half decent over there behind a good pack etc .but hes probably found out what he will be surrounded by and thought no thanks.a decent player on his day but not worth all the hype
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:25 am
Dan2266 wrote:

That’s only true if they don’t pay him off. Unless they can claim injury and let insurance deal with it they can’t just basically terminate a players contract. They may try the injury route with Inglis but the RFL have to agree and it’s a bit transparent why they would be doing this. Mind you it’s the RFL so they will probably allow it.
Yes, Correct. But I would imagine in this case if it was Widdop they would agree to mutual termination with no compensation as Widdop wants to return to Aus, and may well be the one pushing for release if he has a move lined up.

Theres a tiny rumour doing the rounds that George is going to Wire for this season only & then Wigan in 2022.

But I don't know anything about that, the last I heard yesterday was that Wigan were still trying.