Club statement

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Williams to Wire.

Post by josie andrews »

Mike wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:03 pm
First Try Tickle wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:59 pm
Mike wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:03 pm Getting Charnley back would be great. No idea why Wane forced him out.
Wane forced him out because he didn't like him. He told a relative of mine he had had enough of him and was offering him to Sale.

That's the sort of thing that worries me if Wane comes back as director of rugby.
Thats very much the perception I had as a complete outsider. Charnley was made a public scape goat almost every week, seemingly regardless of his or the teams performance. No other player experienced as much public criticism. He seemed to be very much forced out by Wane. But like I said, i have no insider info, its just what it looked like from the outside.

I also felt something weird went on with McIllorum. I assumed something happened behind the scenes that meant he had to go, otherwise it made no sense at all.

I heard it was a fall out with Rads!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

I think charnleys down fall was openly saying in a interview that he was a farmer first and 2nd a rugby player. Didn't go down well with people who were paying his wages and imo rightfully so
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:53 pm I think charnleys down fall was openly saying in a interview that he was a farmer first and 2nd a rugby player. Didn't go down well with people who were paying his wages and imo rightfully so
Yes, I remember that now 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:16 pm
Mike wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:03 pm
First Try Tickle wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:59 pm

Wane forced him out because he didn't like him. He told a relative of mine he had had enough of him and was offering him to Sale.

That's the sort of thing that worries me if Wane comes back as director of rugby.
Thats very much the perception I had as a complete outsider. Charnley was made a public scape goat almost every week, seemingly regardless of his or the teams performance. No other player experienced as much public criticism. He seemed to be very much forced out by Wane. But like I said, i have no insider info, its just what it looked like from the outside.

I also felt something weird went on with McIllorum. I assumed something happened behind the scenes that meant he had to go, otherwise it made no sense at all.

I heard it was a fall out with Rads!
That's not difficult, is it Josie?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

First Try Tickle wrote:
Mike wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:03 pm Getting Charnley back would be great. No idea why Wane forced him out.

Same here. Top players can have big ego’s and may court the celebrity lifestyle. They are not an under 11’s team on tour with their Dad’s!

So long as star players don’t let their off field antics bring disrepute to the club and sport and it doesn’t affect their performance coaches and directors of rugby should be able to see past such things. Charley had a great record at Wigan and it only dipped a bit when he was being slagged off publicly by Wane.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

keptinthedarkfans wrote:I think charnleys down fall was openly saying in a interview that he was a farmer first and 2nd a rugby player. Didn't go down well with people who were paying his wages and imo rightfully so
So after one interview which he made what was perhaps a less than diplomatic comment he’s out the door despite his on field record being absolutely fine?

If that how those running the club reacted that was childish and pathetic. Particularly when the club then goes out of its way to give Hardaker a second chance after his previous record. Talk about double standards.

Has Wane never put his foot in it in an interview?

When those running the club then go on to preside over the Edwards fiasco they really haven’t got a leg to stand on.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:52 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote:I think charnleys down fall was openly saying in a interview that he was a farmer first and 2nd a rugby player. Didn't go down well with people who were paying his wages and imo rightfully so
So after one interview which he made what was perhaps a less than diplomatic comment he’s out the door despite his on field record being absolutely fine?

If that how those running the club reacted that was childish and pathetic. Particularly when the club then goes out of its way to give Hardaker a second chance after his previous record. Talk about double standards.

When those running the club then go on to preside over the Edwards fiasco they really haven’t got a leg to stand on.
Josh’s dad was stood with me at Dewsbury when he had the bad knee injury that kept him out I think it was for a few months. When he did come back he was obviously wary of running or tackling.

I then heard because he wasn’t back to his normal playing self, & his contract was ready to be renewed they offered him a much reduced contract. Which he refused. He was only 24. So he went to Sale!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:

Josh’s dad was stood with me at Dewsbury when he had the bad knee injury that kept him out I think it was for a few months. When he did come back he was obviously wary of running or tackling.

I then heard because he wasn’t back to his normal playing self, & his contract was ready to be renewed they offered him a much reduced contract. Which he refused. He was only 24. So he went to Sale!
There is just no consistency. They react like that with Charnley yet give Manfredi three years to get fit.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:33 pm

Think it was his ankle wasn’t it? And he looked like he bulked up a bit and lost speed when he came back.

A shame really because if he stayed at Wigan he’d be a lot closer to the top scorer ever.

He’s currently 5th with 189 and McGuire is on 247.

At 29 he still has a chance in all fairness but it will be tough.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

No it was not just a one comment he played all season after that but became increasingly difficult with his attitude to rl in general hence going to Ru where training regime was nowhere near as demanding on his time to look after the farming life he craved for but even that got to hard for him.