In a nutshell.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dan2266

In a nutshell.

Post by Dan2266 »

The plan for 2022 does not bode well.

Wigan have the money associated with them, but they will not spend it until they have a clear plan to recoup it. They do not want to continue to run at a loss and for that reason we will see a vastly reduced percentage of our cap taken up next season. (Can half understand that from a business point of view)

As it currently stands, the plan is to invest heavily in 2023/2024. ("Currently Stands")

so the next couple of months should consist of underwhelming signings on 2/3 year deals.

Current players on the radar who should sign/announced in the coming weeks are:

Bibby (2 years)
Powell (2 years)
Thornley (2 years)
Mason (2 years)

Isa and Manfredi are in talks, and there is interest in Sezer, Richardson, the winger from london and a Second Row from the Championship.

I would be surprised if we needed to utilise the Marquee player rule next year. Put it that way.

There is still talk of Thompson, Tomkins, Davies and even Greg Eden & Oli Holmes. But I can not see it.

EDIT: F*** it, don't listen to any talk of Thompson, Tomkins, Davies or Holmes. Thompson turned us down. Tomkins and Davies resigned for Catalan, Davies turned us down. Holmes turned us down and has signed for Wire.

Thornley signed already, Mason really really really close.

Ill stop now :lol:

I can not say more than that and I probably wont post any information for a while as I can not let slip some of the things that I know.

I would be shocked if anything drastically changed.
Last edited by Dan2266 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josie andrews

Re: In a nutshell.

Post by josie andrews »

Nice one Dan, thank you for all the updates 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

That will keep the bank manager happy but not the fans.
Its all well and good saying we will invest heavily the year after next but an average looking squad will not attract season ticket sales or sponsorship. Hence we are looking at trying to invest heavily with reduced income.
I don't doubt anything you are saying, but this comes across as next year is a write off which will inevitably hit season ticket sales.
Peoples habits have changed over the last 12 months and even with some earth shattering signings in another year people may well pick and choose games rather than forking out for season tickets.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Shaun1967 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:51 pm That will keep the bank manager happy but not the fans.
Its all well and good saying we will invest heavily the year after next but an average looking squad will not attract season ticket sales or sponsorship. Hence we are looking at trying to invest heavily with reduced income.
I don't doubt anything you are saying, but this comes across as next year is a write off which will inevitably hit season ticket sales.
Peoples habits have changed over the last 12 months and even with some earth shattering signings in another year people may well pick and choose games rather than forking out for season tickets.
That's what you get when dinosaurs and ex players run the club mate.

The plan is to spend big with a huge redevelopment of the squad under a massively trusted head coach :D

But we will have to suffer until then.

Don't get me wrong its hard for everyone bar Wire to sign players at the moment. but Wigan are not acting like a big club at all.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I expected this, I'm surprised others didn't everyone has been hit by the pandemic and until fans are fully allowed back and the club can see what it's actual income is why would they do anything else.

I'd take this rather than in 3 years the club go bust because the can't afford to pay silly contracts.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:08 pm I expected this, I'm surprised others didn't everyone has been hit by the pandemic and until fans are fully allowed back and the club can see what it's actual income is why would they do anything else.

I'd take this rather than in 3 years the club go bust because the can't afford to pay silly contracts.
I fully get that, but then why say you are going to spend big the year after next when you don't know what state your finances will be in then?
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
TravellingWarrior

Post by TravellingWarrior »

Dan

Quick question:
The plan is to spend big with a huge redevelopment of the squad under a massively trusted head coach :D
Does that mean we've got Lam for another Year?

if so I can't wait for the exciting brand of Rugby that's been promised to finally materialise.....

A thought I had after seeing this post:

:idea: for a trusted coach I might be getting 2+2=5 but doesn't Andy Farrell's Ireland contract run out after the 2023 World Cup?

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/rugby-union ... lan-rugby/

Therefore there is a possibility it could be him!!

There was also a rumour a while back on this forum about Andy Farrell becoming head coach and bringing Owen with him.

Know you can't say anything about this one so wont ask!

lets just hope that if it is Farrell then Lenegan makes him sign a contract rather than a handshake he can go back on a la Edwards.
The world is a book and those who don't travel read only one page.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

All I can say, is what I have said before, Wigan want to know Wane & Farrells long term plans.

Lams future depends on which of them we can attract to take the job.
TravellingWarrior

Post by TravellingWarrior »

Cheers!
The world is a book and those who don't travel read only one page.
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

I feel like we're in the situation Stains were a few years ago when Cunningham was in charge. We desperately need an outside coach with no previous connection to the club come in. Lockers was without a doubt one of the greatest servants the club has ever had but it would be a huge error to give him the coaching job. Similar if Wane comes back. Holbrook came in at Saints and was not afraid to get rid of fan favourites who simply weren't good enough anymore (Wilkin being an example)

Right now all the decisions are being made by people who have historical connections to the club. Whilst its important that there is at least a presence at the top and the traditional values are maintained, to have someone in there who has no loyalty to anyone and isn't afraid to make decisions would be a breath of fresh air right now.