In a nutshell.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dan2266

Re: In a nutshell.

Post by Dan2266 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:15 am If the club have this plan of a reset and big push from 2023, why have we been linked with Williams, Tomkins, Thompson etc?

If the plans Dan posts about are true, my worry is our ability to actually execute on them and deliver. We seemingly have missed out on all our recent targets for some reason so why won’t the same continue to happen.
Williams was always thought of for 2022, but obviously Wire came in with more money.

We were linked with Davies cause he was OOC, Homegrown, wouldnt be on mega money, I said we would always be linked with Tomkins because of who he is.

Luke Thompson is the interesting one, some on here say he is our main 2022 target, that may be correct, but personally I believe we are thinking of him for 2023 when he is OOC, and that would fit in with the timescale of the "reset" im on about.

In Bold - that is exactly why I am not too confident in those executing the plan.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

This is a really intersting thread and thanks to everyone trying to keep us informed. If the club is planning a 'reset', and I've no reason to doubt that, I think the idea that this could be an IL wind down is quite feasible. If that's the case he won't want any more cash drain on his resources and he may well want to structure a 'business' that is at least cash-neutral for an incoming owner.

Danson's position then becomes interesting. How much of his involvement was driven by the plan last year for Wigan Warriors to acquire Wigan Athletic? IL was trying to build a consortium to fund that move (another failure to complete a deal?) and Danson's investment in the Warriors happened around the same time. Also he is worth apparently approx £500m from a business sale and the rest of the reported £1.1 billion (£600m) is, I believe, a business stock market valuation rather than 'cash' (£500m is still very nice though). So, as many have reported, he would have the cash to 'invest' (more accurately spend!) if he had the interest in taking over. Is that likely? IL's family also owns shares - is his son a potential future owner - I would imagine this is highly unlikely though that's a pure guess.

It may well be that the club will be looking for a owner not currently involved - IF Lenagan is planning to wind down.

Two other thoughts:
- the idea of a 'reset' and rebuild in two years time is fraught with problems as we've seen over the last 12 months or so just how easily plans can be disrupted and who would want to spend money on a RL club that has perhaps gone a fair way downhill and lost a some of its historical kudos;
- I think fans can accept most things if they know what the plan is but become completely disillusioned when there is silence from the 'top'; ok, there may be a time to be informative about the way forward but just now, when fans will gradually be allowed back into stadia, there is just no excitement, vibe or information from the club; even difficult news can be exciting if we know there is a battle to be fought and won (see relegation battle under Noble).

The first 2 or 3 years of IL's ownership was full of hope, information, communication (remember the Fan's Forums) but laterly seems to have closed and introspective and more than anything this lack of communication, for me, causes more lack of interest than anything else.

Again, thanks to all those who are trying to keep us informed - it is appreciated.
culinator

Post by culinator »

This doesnt seem like very forward thinking to myself.

If the club are concerned about lack of income from bums on seats then surely thats because the product they are selling isnt a quality product or its not good value. (Pandemic aside)

One way not to increase the quality is to not invest in the club, whats the investing term, speculate to accumulate.

Surely after the restrictions lift they should want the most attractive product available, not a mediocre product.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

culinator wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:43 am This doesnt seem like very forward thinking to myself.

If the club are concerned about lack of income from bums on seats then surely thats because the product they are selling isnt a quality product or its not good value. (Pandemic aside)

One way not to increase the quality is to not invest in the club, whats the investing term, speculate to accumulate.

Surely after the restrictions lift they should want the most attractive product available, not a mediocre product.
How much do you think crowds would increase by if we signed loads of superstars?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
culinator

Post by culinator »

I dont know but surely the ultimate goal is to fill the stadium? The only way to do that is make the product that is being sold attractive.
I wasnt only talking about signing superstars as you put it, but the product on the whole has to be a quality product, something in my own opinion RL currently isnt bar the odd game.

I also dont know the answers to these questions just voicing an opinion on what im reading
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

culinator wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:58 pm I dont know but surely the ultimate goal is to fill the stadium? The only way to do that is make the product that is being sold attractive.
I wasnt only talking about signing superstars as you put it, but the product on the whole has to be a quality product, something in my own opinion RL currently isnt bar the odd game.

I also dont know the answers to these questions just voicing an opinion on what im reading
I thought Salford under Watson played some good rugby even though they didn't always win.

It sadly didn't increase their attendance.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:49 pm
culinator wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:43 am This doesnt seem like very forward thinking to myself.

How much do you think crowds would increase by if we signed loads of superstars?
They wouldn't need to.

Success and the resultant exposure and advertising would dwarf gate receipts.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wintergreen wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:44 pm

They wouldn't need to.

Do you have any idea if our advertising income in the years following winning the GF vs the years we didn’t?

No one thing is going to increase fans substantially, it needs a combination of the following:

1 - increasing numbers in the amateur game
2 - increasing rugby league being taught in schools
3 - better advertising and promotions from the RFL
4 - more games on BBC etc
5 - improving the academy system
6 - improving the quality of Super League
7 - games played at times suited to fans getting to the stadium
8 - giving away tickets to young school kids and parents to try and gain fans
9 - getting our international game somewhat closer to what union have achieved
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:49 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:44 pm

They wouldn't need to.

Do you have any idea if our advertising income in the years following winning the GF vs the years we didn’t?

No one thing is going to increase fans substantially, it needs a combination of the following:

1 - increasing numbers in the amateur game
2 - increasing rugby league being taught in schools
3 - better advertising and promotions from the RFL
4 - more games on BBC etc
5 - improving the academy system
6 - improving the quality of Super League
7 - games played at times suited to fans getting to the stadium
8 - giving away tickets to young school kids and parents to try and gain fans
9 - getting our international game somewhat closer to what union have achieved
The salary cap stops any real exposure as any players earning money on the side by say going on a TV show or getting an advertisement deal counts on the cap.. how moronic is that.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:51 pm
culinator wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:58 pm I dont know but surely the ultimate goal is to fill the stadium? The only way to do that is make the product that is being sold attractive.

I thought Salford under Watson played some good rugby even though they didn't always win.

It sadly didn't increase their attendance.
This.

The way people talk it’s as if the club has signed nothing or no one of note,the gates are still dwindling,it’s the sport that is dying on the vine in this country I fear