Wigan v HKR game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Wigan v HKR game

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:26 pm Don’t know what Bullock was doing the little time he was on,ok one drop he didn’t have much chance but he just looked disinterested to me but again he’s another player who simply hasn’t kicked on
He’s had a fall out with Lam, time to move on. Let’s see how he performs at Warrington.
Charriots Offiah

Wiganer Ted wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:27 pm Agree with everything written.
What I want to know is, how long are we going to have to put up with this?
We need a massive improvement all round and to get that there has to be massive change.
How Lam survives after repeated shows like that I don't know.
There are really talented players out there who are playing well below average.
That has to change.
The change has to be brought about by the club.
To be fair it’s not just Lam, you need to question those higher in the pecking order.
Charriots Offiah

Mike wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:08 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:03 am
Mike wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:38 pm Enough glimpses in the second half to show a run to the GF is possible.

The biggest thing I noticed is the absolute lack of intensity from the side. They're going through the motions most of the time. It's just not intense enough. And obviously the execution is appalling.

Even with the lack of intensity, we made more than enough chances to win this match easily.
Mike, have you got Covid.
No I did a test yesterday. Why do you ask?
If you think we will make the GF I think you are deluded.
Charriots Offiah

DaveO wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:28 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:16 pm No intentional digs at Powell specifically (as generally I think he works hard in games).......but i'd love to see him make metres and run/scoot like Parcell though!
Just got back after a nightmare journey home due the junction on the M6 bing shut! My son came over from Leeds and I was dropping him off at Newton-le-Willows station for his train which he made with five minutes to spare. I have driven to places I never been before tonight.

As to he Powell proved to right what I said the other week. He's the worst hooker have have had since the 80's.

He can't direct the forwards to save his life and his standard play which he did numerous times is this:

Step 1. Plant feet
Step 2. Move the ball to the left as in some sort of an excuse for a dummy
Step 3. Pass the ball right.

This is all done in slow motion so the opposition are up before the ball is going anywhere and step 2. is quite frankly laughable. He looks like a five year old kid pretending to play RL mimicking something he's seen on TV.

He is garbage and I am sorry if anyone thinks otherwise, time to go to specsavers.
Powell’s not the only problem there is more punch in Judy than our front row. Rads is the problem, we need a culture change.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

EagleEyePie wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:13 pm Hastings to fullback was a poor move. He's our biggest threat with ball in hand and he was just isolated at fullback. He's the sort of player who loves to carry the ball into contact and play very direct but he couldn't do that from the back. Too often he was going laterally and not really getting any joy. Meanwhile Smith and Leuluai were content to pass the ball about 5 metres before the line and weren't engaging the defence at all. They made it far too easy for Rovers to defend so it wasn't too surprising that they survived 7 repeat sets.

It seemed like Lam was too interested in getting Hastings, Leuluai and Smith into the same side and it backfired. Well we're at a point now where we really need to question why Leuluai is still in this side. I know he's captain and a strong defender but there's another pretty important aspect to the halfback role that he's just not fulfilling. Before today's game Smith had 1 try and 4 assists in 5 starts. Leuluai has 0 tries and 0 assists in 4 starts.

For most of the game we only had one player willing to actually take the line on before shifting the ball and that was Shorrocks. I thought he looked threatening but no one else was really capable of capitalising. Although it was Shorrocks going off that indirectly led to us getting back into the game because the introduction of Pearce-Paul actually provided us with an attacking threat. His offload down the left should have been taken by Gildart and would have given us a good scoring opportunity, but then his offload down the right did create a break and give us field position to score. Unlucky to make the error near his own line but he was a bigger threat that Bateman.

Really we're still in the situation where our young forwards aren't really getting enough support from the senior players. Bullock had a shocker. We actually looked our most dangerous later in the game when we had 5 back rowers on the field at the same time (Partington, Shorrocks, Farrell, Bateman and Pearce-Paul). Not entirely sure who was playing where but Rovers didn't seem to know either and we actually started causing problems.

Ultimately that wasn't too dissimilar to our previous performances this season. It went pretty much the same way in terms of the pattern of the game but we messed up too many chances.
Top post….. great to see someone seeing it as it is
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:19 am
CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:16 pm No intentional digs at Powell specifically (as generally I think he works hard in games).......but i'd love to see him make metres and run/scoot like Parcell though!
Just got back after a nightmare journey home due the junction on the M6 bing shut! My son came over from Leeds and I was dropping him off at Newton-le-Willows station for his train which he made with five minutes to spare. I have driven to places I never been before tonight.

As to he Powell proved to right what I said the other week. He's the worst hooker have have had since the 80's.

He can't direct the forwards to save his life and his standard play which he did numerous times is this:

Step 1. Plant feet

This is all done in slow motion so the opposition are up before the ball is going anywhere and step 2. is quite frankly laughable. He looks like a five year old kid pretending to play RL mimicking something he's seen on TV.

He is garbage and I am sorry if anyone thinks otherwise, time to go to specsavers.
Powell’s not the only problem there is more punch in Judy than our front row. Rads is the problem, we need a culture change.
I would normal disagree with DaveO as he is nowhere near as bad as he makes out.
However last night he was terrible, at one point he stould still with the ball in hand for 5 seconds doing nothing.
Last edited by Caboosegg on Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

Step 1. Plant feet

Here we go. How on earth are you singling out Powell from last night? You've got Bullock who dropped more balls than he caught. You've got Gildart who popped up to finish two tries but for most of the match looked completely out of sorts. Was Tommy on the pitch? I didn't notice?? But yeah it was Powells fault.

On a positive note, Marshall did OK on his return, Kai Pearce-Paul was probably our best player when he came on and Joe Shorrocks at least tried to spark some sort of effort. The rest were just lacklustre and felt like they were waiting for something to happen. It needed someone to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and take command. Smith you felt was trying to make something happen but the execution wasn't there. He actually reminds me a lot of George Williams when he first came in, needs to learn when to go for the Hollywood play and when to just take the contact and move on to the next play.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:02 am
thegimble wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:45 pm Game was lost the moment Wanes name was mentioned as coming back. Lam is on a hiding to nothing.
Lam is not good enough don’t give him an excuse.
I know he is not good enough. We have struggled to win most of our games. But with whats going on standards drops further. We are getting a real battering soon.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Shaun Edwards saw this coming 3 years ago!!
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

pedro wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:11 pm
thegimble wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:44 pm
pedro wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:34 pm

how? when wane announced he was leaving we won the GF, Lam hasnt signed a new contract so the team plays garbage again, I didnt think Wane was coming back as coach
Lam knows he is not here next season. Problem is some players will drop standards they should not but last 2 games is very poor
but won it with wane when he said he wouldnt be here for the year after
Different situation. Player quality is poorer and going to be worse. Also Wane is a motivator coach. Whilst Lam is IL patsy.