Wigan v HKR game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: Wigan v HKR game

Post by thegimble »

ian.birchall wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:55 am Shaun Edwards saw this coming 3 years ago!!
Beginning of the issues we are in now. With less money around we will not get a good coach unless we persuade Wane with emotional blackmail.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

thegimble wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:58 am
ian.birchall wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:55 am Shaun Edwards saw this coming 3 years ago!!
Beginning of the issues we are in now. With less money around we will not get a good coach unless we persuade Wane with emotional blackmail.
It amazing how a narratives changes changes.

Edwards didn't come because he had better options for more money in union, its was not only us he messed about.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

If and when a new coach comes in it will be a bargain basement appointement like the players they are signing at the moment.Thought the same about Edwards seaing this debacle comming
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

The cost cutting is a direct result of covid hit finacials. I am amazed you saw this coming.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:05 am
thegimble wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:58 am
It amazing how a narratives changes changes.

Edwards didn't come because he had better options for more money in union, its was not only us he messed about.
Edwards burned bridges with the WRU as well. Wanted him to stay on.

Only narrative that has not changed is we need a quality coach. Its a pity we did not try for Demitriou he was by far best choice of who was available if he wanted the job. But not a chance he would have been desperate for 1 season.

We are lucky SL is poor unless we start recruiting we could have been seen a 2006 season again
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

One thing i noticed last night was the amount of players getting the ball in a standing position then running sideways…..its like we lose all structure…. Our mist potent threat is jackson running diagonally to faz hitting the angles….. how can we do this if jackos not in the halves?…..Like most posters have said already , we look like a very unhappy team…..It really is depressing with the amount of quality we still have……Its definately time for tommy to go hooker and leave the halves for more creative players
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
pedro

Post by pedro »

thegimble wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:57 am
pedro wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:11 pm
thegimble wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:44 pm

Lam knows he is not here next season. Problem is some players will drop standards they should not but last 2 games is very poor
but won it with wane when he said he wouldnt be here for the year after
Different situation. Player quality is poorer and going to be worse. Also Wane is a motivator coach. Whilst Lam is IL patsy.
its the same situation but a poor coach then?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:19 am
DaveO wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:28 pm Just got back after a nightmare journey home due the junction on the M6 bing shut! My son came over from Leeds and I was dropping him off at Newton-le-Willows station for his train which he made with five minutes to spare. I have driven to places I never been before tonight.

As to he Powell proved to right what I said the other week. He's the worst hooker have have had since the 80's.

He can't direct the forwards to save his life and his standard play which he did numerous times is this:

Step 1. Plant feet
Step 2. Move the ball to the left as in some sort of an excuse for a dummy
Step 3. Pass the ball right.

This is all done in slow motion so the opposition are up before the ball is going anywhere and step 2. is quite frankly laughable. He looks like a five year old kid pretending to play RL mimicking something he's seen on TV.

He is garbage and I am sorry if anyone thinks otherwise, time to go to specsavers.
Powell’s not the only problem there is more punch in Judy than our front row. Rads is the problem, we need a culture change.
I would normal disagree with DaveO as he is nowhere near as bad as he makes out.
However last night he was terrible, at one point he stould still with the ball in hand for 5 seconds doing nothing.
He virtually never plays what’s in front of him. He’s robotic.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

AndyNick wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:28 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:16 pm No intentional digs at Powell specifically (as generally I think he works hard in games).......but i'd love to see him make metres and run/scoot like Parcell though!
Just got back after a nightmare journey home due the junction on the M6 bing shut! My son came over from Leeds and I was dropping him off at Newton-le-Willows station for his train which he made with five minutes to spare. I have driven to places I never been before tonight.

As to he Powell proved to right what I said the other week. He's the worst hooker have have had since the 80's.

He can't direct the forwards to save his life and his standard play which he did numerous times is this:

Step 1. Plant feet
Step 2. Move the ball to the left as in some sort of an excuse for a dummy
Step 3. Pass the ball right.

This is all done in slow motion so the opposition are up before the ball is going anywhere and step 2. is quite frankly laughable. He looks like a five year old kid pretending to play RL mimicking something he's seen on TV.

He is garbage and I am sorry if anyone thinks otherwise, time to go to specsavers.
Here we go. How on earth are you singling out Powell from last night? You've got Bullock who dropped more balls than he caught. You've got Gildart who popped up to finish two tries but for most of the match looked completely out of sorts. Was Tommy on the pitch? I didn't notice?? But yeah it was Powells fault.

On a positive note, Marshall did OK on his return, Kai Pearce-Paul was probably our best player when he came on and Joe Shorrocks at least tried to spark some sort of effort. The rest were just lacklustre and felt like they were waiting for something to happen. It needed someone to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and take command. Smith you felt was trying to make something happen but the execution wasn't there. He actually reminds me a lot of George Williams when he first came in, needs to learn when to go for the Hollywood play and when to just take the contact and move on to the next play.
The reason I singled him out from last night is with zero coming from the halves in terms of creating anything you look to other players to do something and no 9 in the modern game is a key creative position and literally nothing came from him.

I have never understood the pedestal some fans put him on. It seems to stem from one season where he played every game and put in a shed load of tackles but he’s spent that penny long ago in my opinion.

Maybe when the team was overall of better quality and coached differently his shortcomings were not so obvious but I defy anyone who knows anything about the game who watches him play to conclude he’s not poor.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Most important players in any attack or 1, 6 or 7 and 9. In Zac and Jackson we have 2 of the best in super league., when they are on the field and playing in their rightful position. But in Sam we have one of the worst number 9s when it comes to getting the team going forward. Unfortunately, this isn’t going to improve in the next 2 seasons as I suspect he will be offered a new 2 year deal, which will ensure 2 more years of the same. Unless Rads is replaced regarding recruitment. The team needs a major rethink. Bringing Wane is not the answer it’s time for the old boys club to be disbanded. We need a coach with new ideas and no favourites. Unfortunately, can’t see it happening and the potential at the club will be wasted. Please IL prove me wrong.