taxi for lam

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
lucky 13

Re: taxi for lam

Post by lucky 13 »

Its hard to create behind a beaten pack? Well that's the excuse I was using upto now but we had bags of field position against twelve men and still nothing. The team is low on confidence, but the lack of being able to bust the middle and leave players on their backs means we are easy handled. When you also compound that with next to no option but a pass from 9 that is another addition to our issue. With all that said though is it not just the lack of basic structures? Its so very predictable one out drives without any runners off either shoulder and so on, does beg what have they done for the last two weeks in trauning. For me we have good players short in a couple of areas yes and definitely lacking the genius spark of French out the back. But though it pains me to say lacking a plan. Bullocks been ruined for me, I'm not at training so don't know if thats an issue but when he's picked he's under pressure the way Lams treated his game time has done that. He dropped little ball when he came seemed like he could play big minutes and could tackle. If another issue is at play then don't pick him. Instead he seems like the excuse for a bad performance not that we need to worry he's off to Wire next season. Personally I always thought Williams would have been a good option a settled half combination going into the next few years with Smith. Thats still something we should be looking at a settled plan for our pivots. Guessing Tommy gang the boots Hastings is NRL bound. Leaving us with French to be decided on.
I have to end on positives.....
We seemed to make yards easier guessing Marshy and Gildart help out quite a lot in that area early in sets.
Both dropped half chances that in a couple if weeks they take. Shorrocks showed signs of having a little more to his game and KP Paul almost got us back into the game his ball on the left to Gildart which he dropped was a great offload but it was his footwork and size that was impressive. He then switched to the right edge and did the same I hope we encourage that he almost gave us a chance. His carry before the knock on was also quality.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Problem is deeper than Lam. However, he is responsible for everything that happens on the field performance & results wise. Has to go for me.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Dan2266 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:32 am Problem is deeper than Lam. However, he is responsible for everything that happens on the field performance & results wise. Has to go for me.
From day one (and sorry but it is a point I do Labour in)when Lam said I’ll do the job for a year his position was undermined,it’s time to end this before the club lurch any further
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

There is clearly something very wrong at the club when the players produce performances like those of the t last two matches. Either it is purely down to coaching or more likely a combination of coaching and management. When a sports team performs so far below it's potential it's a reflection of unhappiness amongst the players. These really poor performances are not a result of the deficiencies of individual players, they are much more deeply rooted than that. Perhaps the players think the coach doen't know what he's doing or that the club as a whole is going nowhere. I think it's a combination of the two. Something drastic needs to be done before we can hope to start moving in the right direction. It's possible to isolate the problems of specific players when the team as a whole is performing well. At the moment, the team is displaying a general malaise which results from much deeper rooted deficiencies. We're going nowhere fast.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I said a while ago i was deeply concerned with the team position its a combination of a poor coach ( Too nice ) bad management above him and a severe lack of investment and being blind as to the players needed a 2 big experienced props a goal kicker and sad to say a clever quick hooker & the crazy announcement of George Williams to Warrington just after a terrible result at home I don't know who planned this but armature management i cannot believe could be worse JUST CRAZY in fact Fu==ing stupid and if IL sanctioned the announcement he is as bad as the rest and says it all
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I can't lay everything that seems to have wrong at Lam's door, although I've never seen anything that seemed to suggest that he was a SL coach but what seems to be the problem comes from within the club and stops with him .
We had a batch of young, impressive forwards (Partington, Smithies, Havard, Byrne etc) who made the first team early - looked great and whose progression has now stalled. It looks from a distance that they achieved the first major step of breaking into the first team on raw talent but are not being coached into reaching their full potential. Whether that is because of poor coaching or lack of self-discipline or probably, a mixture of both is open to question. Shorrocks seems to be the only one who taken it upon himself to work hard, learn and improve.
It looks as if we need a specific forwards coach to make our players better as we have no money (apparently) to buy in ready-made replacements.
Even more worrying is the lack of young backs coming into contention. I suppose the last two off the production line were Williams and Gildart who looked at home in the team from Day one.
I quite like Smith but he is nowhere near the finished article and surprisingly inconsistent. Hanley (out of position, I know) looked lightweight and the other young players just didn't look ready to grasp any opportunity that might come their way.
Again, if we are going to invest, it must be in specific areas of coaching to unlock the potential that exists in our Academy and even younger players. If we don't do that sharpish, then I fear for the future, short and long term. If we are seen as a failing club, then the stream of young players may dry up and look for other clubs.

I thought we would struggle against HKR because of the truly awful Cats performance and because Tony Smith seems to have rediscovered his appetite for the game. What I didn't expect was such an abject showing from just about everyone. And finally, if someone can tell me why Farrell kept popping up on the right side, I'd be grateful. Was he playing loose-forward?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

When calls for players or coaches to be shown the door start being made quite often you will see some defending the player/coach by saying something like “Who would you replace them with?” or “Who is available?”

I have never thought this was much of an argument because we as fans are not dealing with agents and aren’t deeply involved in the running of the club who you might expect to be aware of who is available or who they may try and poach etc. It’s part of the job keeping tabs on who might be available.

Now I think it’s possibly a valid argument because I think IL and Rads are about as informed as the fans!

I can’t see Lam being shown the door as I don’t think those running the club have a clue how to entice a top class coach here.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Radlinski to me is a massive massive problem for wigan - He will sink wigan
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I agree he is the problem a yes man with no ability to recruit the right players
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Been saying this for years.