Club statement

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dan2266

Re: Club statement

Post by Dan2266 »

irl_warr wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:56 pm
ddtftf wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:25 pm I announce 5 weeks ago he was going to Warrington I knew then he had gone he was a Warrington fan and always wanted to play for them as a young lad. Sorry my info was correct but i still think the club is right not to be blackmailed into an over valuation of him good player but not the greatest i have seen.
Wigan was never on the agenda for George, no matter when he returned. Mark my words, Wire will also sign Olly Gildart when he decides to return and Burgess is only biding his time at Salford until either Charnley, Mamo or Lineham move along. What I am told is that Jack Hughes is key piece of the puzzle ;)

Dan, please don't get discouraged, just post what you know! The chances are your contact is also getting fed duff info sometimes. I was once told something directly by a player, then the very next day the absolute polar opposite happened to that very player so it really is a thankless process posting information.
Wonder if this is a potential replacement for Isa, assuming he does leave
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Jack Hughes was one of our most promising young forwards.

When Chicken George was getting ready to leave, I said to Jack that they’d push him in the centres. He said nah, I’m not fast enough!

So what did they do? They pushed him into the centres which ruined him he was getting slated left right & centre excuse the pun.

So when his contract was up he went to Huddersfield. In his first season he was voted player of the year! He finished his time there & then moved to Warrington.

We have no idea how to utilise players in their best position, we don’t even know how to select a team!

We can’t or don’t have good enough talent scouts to find the suitable players we need, instead we get any player good or bad to play in the positions we don’t need! We have a plethora of players in the same positions & I feel we are now heading towards the mediocrity we suffered from in the early towards the end of the noughties 😑
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:42 pm Jack Hughes was one of our most promising young forwards.

When Chicken George was getting ready to leave, I said to Jack that they’d push him in the centres. He said nah, I’m not fast enough!

So what did they do? They pushed him into the centres which ruined him he was getting slated left right & centre excuse the pun.

So when his contract was up he went to Huddersfield. In his first season he was voted player of the year! He finished his time there & then moved to Warrington.

We have no idea how to utilise players in their best position, we don’t even know how to select a team!

We can’t or don’t have good enough talent scouts to find the suitable players we need, instead we get any player good or bad to play in the positions we don’t need! We have a plethora of players in the same positions & I feel we are now heading towards the mediocrity we suffered from in the early towards the end of the noughties 😑
Valuable insights, Josie.

I thought Jack was unfortunate to come through when we had Faz and Bateman in the 2nd row.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:28 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:42 pm Jack Hughes was one of our most promising young forwards.

I thought Jack was unfortunate to come through when we had Faz and Bateman in the 2nd row.
But Bateman at the time was supposed to be only played now & again as he was still scrawny & as the club put it very raw.

Hughes after playing in the 2013 GF was sent to Huddersfield on loan in exchange for Larne Patrick!
Now that was some good business!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:56 pm But Bateman at the time was supposed to be only played now & again as he was still scrawny & as the club put it very raw.

Hughes after playing in the 2013 GF was sent to Huddersfield on loan in exchange for Larne Patrick!
What an awful swap deal that was. Patrick was the definition of average but because he sidestepped Sam Tomkins once and got overhyped by the Sky team he was considered the next big thing. By the time we signed him Huddersfield and everyone else had already realised he wasn't all he'd cracked up to be and no doubt the Giants couldn't believe their luck when they got Hughes in return. We'd have been better off keeping Hughes and playing him down the middle.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Ridiculous that he got the number 4 shirt. He had never ever played centre in his life.

Jack was a ball playing loose forward who kicked goals when he played at Golborne Parkside until the age of 15/16 before moving to St Judes.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

I’m with you Josie worried about next season. We have. Hardaker, Marshall, Thornley and 2 untried half backs in Smith and Field. If they don’t gell we have no back up. So at the moment we don’t have a left centre and winger.

Prop forwards we have Singleton, Byrne and. Havard both inexperienced in prop terms. So we could do with 2 hard running props.

Hooker we have Sam of which majority of supporters don’t rate. But we have no alternative.

Back row forwards as you say Josie we have loads, Bateman, Shorrocks, Farrell,Partington, Smithies, Pearce Paul and Isa?

So I make that we need at least 5 to 6 new players, and they need to be quality not project players. And if that isn’t enough a new coach. Judging by recent recruitment I fear the worst for next season. As all this has come about by losing quality players and replacing them with poor ones. Ie Hughes for Patrick and extending contracts for players who should have retired.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:56 pm

But Bateman at the time was supposed to be only played now & again as he was still scrawny & as the club put it very raw.

Bateman was chubby before he came wigan josie….. we got him fit
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE