JUST TELL US IL

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: JUST TELL US IL

Post by Caboosegg »

Why would IL need to come out and say its about balancing the books, he has said that multiple times since he took over that the club will not spend more than its can afford as he doesn't want it to go bust again.

People can chuck the blame at the management all they want but our issue vs Hull KR was pure coaching. I have never seen a team spend so much time as we did in the opponents 20 on Friday and not post points.

If Lam hasn't changed the team around around on Wakefield he needs showing the door instantly.

Hasting was terrible at fullback and by removing him from the halves we took away one of our consistent attacking threats. I like Smith but expecting him to take on Hastings role in attack was never going to work, he isn't isn't same type of player.

I also think playing both Marshall and Gildart on the same side after months of not playing was foolish I would have gone Bibby,gildart and Isa/Marshall.

Hanley needs to play fullback, we should be good enough in defence to cover his size, Hastings needs to be in the halves, them as we will not see Powell dropped have Smith and TL sub each other.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Cutting the size and quality of the squad won’t save much money as it will then have a knock on effect in ticket sales. I’d like to know after all the years of being told the club is losing lots of money, what is actually being done in a positive manner to change that?

Making staff redundant and drastically cutting squad depth and quality should be a last resort, as it is so visible to the fans that they then lose heart. If you also cut your staff back to a bare minimum, you’ll find it really tough to put strategies in place to turn the business around, as the staff you have left won’t have the time, the support or the energy to do anything other than chase their tails and will likely be totally disheartened themselves.

The whole place feels devoid of energy at the moment. COVID hasn’t helped but we don’t even communicate positive stories half the time now. I think the fans feel a bit under valued in a lot of ways.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

NICKYKISS wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:37 pm Cutting the size and quality of the squad won’t save much money as it will then have a knock on effect in ticket sales. I’d like to know after all the years of being told the club is losing lots of money, what is actually being done in a positive manner to change that?

Making staff redundant and drastically cutting squad depth and quality should be a last resort, as it is so visible to the fans that they then lose heart. If you also cut your staff back to a bare minimum, you’ll find it really tough to put strategies in place to turn the business around, as the staff you have left won’t have the time, the support or the energy to do anything other than chase their tails and will likely be totally disheartened themselves.

The whole place feels devoid of energy at the moment. COVID hasn’t helped but we don’t even communicate positive stories half the time now. I think the fans feel a bit under valued in a lot of ways.
Even when we didn't cut the quality of the squad attendance has gone down, the RFL has done nothing to grow the game and then stupid rules around advertisement earnings prevent players becoming known faces and further boosting the sports profile.

It's a joke and until something changes around the cap we will see reducing numbers anyway.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

Completely agree with all the posts about being kept in the dark, it is disrespectful. Whilst there's no place for the likes of us revolting peasants in the ivory tower we do need a crust every now and then to keep us interested.
I always look for what Dan has to say and I suspect there is something bubbling behind the scenes that the likes of us are not privy to, if the message from above is we are struggling, and will do so for a year or two but we would plead for your continued support, I for one would be willing to do so if the broad details were outlined.
Wigan fans support will be tested, we will get to know how HKR and Wakefield fans for example felt having supported their club during their wilderness years.
Listening to comments from supporters upon leaving the ground on Friday I would suggest that IL needs to address the fans as a matter of urgency. The peasants are getting restless so nip the prospect of an impending revolt in the bud.
I don't see us winning more than four games during the rest of the season, you can see it in the players a ship without a rudder. They are clueless in attack two drives then side to side ending with an aimless kick.
To concede a try on the overlap against twelve men was embarrassing. The most creative player moved to full back "masterstroke" an half back whilst still good in defence offers nothing in attack and looked to be struggling to keep pace then our biggest prop is totally unloved and his confidence is shot he has been ruined. Help
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:44 pm
NICKYKISS wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:37 pm Cutting the size and quality of the squad won’t save much money as it will then have a knock on effect in ticket sales. I’d like to know after all the years of being told the club is losing lots of money, what is actually being done in a positive manner to change that?

Even when we didn't cut the quality of the squad attendance has gone down, the RFL has done nothing to grow the game and then stupid rules around advertisement earnings prevent players becoming known faces and further boosting the sports profile.

It's a joke and until something changes around the cap we will see reducing numbers anyway.
I do feel sorry for Lenagan in that when he did decide to go down the route of speculating to accumulate by bringing in exciting players in the form of French, Hastings and Burgess, one was an injury dud and then covid hit. It’s been a perfect storm really and I fear we’re really going to face a hit because if it now. It’s a shame if it is the case because whilst crowds may not fly up on the back of big signings (but due to Covid we never got to find out), you won’t take anymore damage and if people see Hastings, Gildart, French etc leave and Mason, Thornley and Miski style signings come in, we will see a huge hit in attendances. The only way around that is as people have said on here and that is the club needing to plead poverty and plead for patience and backing to support it.
01tentpeg

Post by 01tentpeg »

how come the other super league teams dont seem to have the problems that wigan have how do warrington afford all these players they have it will take a very very long time before this team gets back to being a good super league team we are becoming a very average side we dont need a ground that size any more at this moment in time the club are driving fans away not at attracting them from a unhappy supporter
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

They own their own stadiums?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote:They own their own stadiums?
Well I’d assume that could help but also be a hinderance

I hope you appreciate that bit if fence sitting there[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fizz Bomb

Post by Fizz Bomb »

01tentpeg wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:33 pm how come the other super league teams dont seem to have the problems that wigan have how do warrington afford all these players they have it will take a very very long time before this team gets back to being a good super league team we are becoming a very average side we dont need a ground that size any more at this moment in time the club are driving fans away not at attracting them from a unhappy supporter
Maybe — just maybe that’s why Ian Lenagan bought Robin Park, but if things go the way people are predicting even that may be to big. Come on we will return better than ever. Remember the 1979 —80 season, l do.
We have the history Sentelins wish they had
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

01tentpeg wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:33 pm how come the other super league teams dont seem to have the problems that wigan have how do warrington afford all these players they have it will take a very very long time before this team gets back to being a good super league team we are becoming a very average side we dont need a ground that size any more at this moment in time the club are driving fans away not at attracting them from a unhappy supporter
Wire have posted massive losses and we don't know how many are leaving, they are bringing in mainly cas players none of those are world beaters but play well under powells style.

Stains have salary cap issues and are expected to lose some quality players.

Have Leeds announced any big name signings.

Everywhere is the same to a greater or lesser extent. Our issues currently come from squad inbalance.

Why buy field when you have French and Hastings at the time etc. Yes we might need him next season but we needed a prop this season more urgently.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.