Wigan Warriors boss Adrian Lam comments on his DW Stadium future

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors boss Adrian Lam comments on his DW Stadium future

Post by josie andrews »

The head coach is approaching the end of his contract with the Warriors

Wigan Warriors head coach Adrian Lam is remaining tight-lipped on his future and revealed he does not expect any decision to be made until next month at the earliest.

The former Wigan player took charge at the DW Stadium at the start of the 2019 season following Shaun Wane’s departure from the club.

Lam, 50, has remained in the job after Wigan legend Shaun Edwards performed a U-turn and decided against taking the reins, as had been expected, ahead of the 2020 campaign.

Lam guided the Warriors to the Super League Grand Final last season, where they lost in heartbreaking fashion to sworn enemies St Helens, but shortly afterwards he signed a new one-year deal to stay at the club until the end of 2021.

Rugby League Live understands that Wane has been lined up for a DW Stadium comeback for the 2022 campaign but he refused to be drawn on the link last week.

Wane, a true legend of the club after his illustrious playing and coaching spells, is thought to be in discussions to take on a role that would see him combine coaching and operational duties, such as recruitment.

He will not be returning in a head coach capacity but, speaking at a press conference today via Zoom, Lam said no decision had been made on his own future.

Lam, whose side have lost their last two games, said: “I didn’t make a decision on my contract until the back end of last year, so I’ll probably wait until July before I start talking to the club about what happens moving forward.

“For me, we’ve had a really good start as a club and I probably should have gone in two weeks ago, timing-wise!

“But now’s not the right time I feel, personally, for me.

“I just need to focus myself wholly and solely on getting back to winning ways and getting back to the top of the table.

“June and July is a difficult time for all clubs with negotiations over players coming and going.

“I’ve got to make sure I manage that process right and lift to winning ways again and getting back focused on that.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan