Shaun Wane set for Wigan Warriors return... but will Adrian Lam still have a role?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Shaun Wane set for Wigan Warriors return... but will Adrian Lam still have a role?

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Wane remains on course for an emotional return to Wigan next year – in a new role - but Adrian Lam is in no rush to speak to the club about his own future.

As he prepares to take charge of England for the first time on Friday, Wigantoday understands talks with the Warriors have advanced. A deal has not been finalised but Wane – three-times a Grand Final-winning coach with his hometown club from 2012 to ‘18 – is set for a comeback as a rugby director, or other similar role, in 2022.

The newly-created position will oversee recruitment, coaching, development and the teams at all levels.

It’s likely to be a part-time position which will allow Wane to continue as England coach – as well as his business and speaking interests elsewhere. He wouldn't discuss the prospect at his last media conference but while his return looks nailed on, the coaching structure below him is far less certain.

Head coach Lam is on a rolling one-year contract and says he will wait a few weeks before holding talks with chairman Ian Lenagan and executive director Kris Radlinski about their intentions for next year.

“I’ll probably wait until July before I talk to the club about moving forward,” said Lam.

“I probably should have gone in two weeks ago, timing wise! Now is not the right time, personally for me, I need to focus on getting us back to winning ways and getting us back to the top of the table.”

One of his assistants, John Winder, is out of contract at the end of this year and there is uncertainty over whether Thomas Leuluai will play on or take a coaching role next year.

Matty Peet and Sean O’Loughlin are also on the staff as assistants.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... le-3282536
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Dan2266

Re: Shaun Wane set for Wigan Warriors return... but will Adrian Lam still have a role?

Post by Dan2266 »

He's already involved with our recruitment & coaching staff plans for 2022, Its more advanced than the article suggests.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Shaun Wane set for Wigan Warriors return... but will Adrian Lam still have a role?

Post by Mike »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:23 pm He's already involved with our recruitment & coaching staff plans for 2022, Its more advanced than the article suggests.
Does that explain Thornley coming back?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

So am I right in thinking we are creating a new position to accommodate wane. Yet cutting back on spending for team rebuilding. Says it all really jobs for the boys
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

It isn't going to end until IL get's rid of KR and steps down himself
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Why does the headline ask the question about Lam having a role?

Why should he is the question that should be asked. With lockers and Leuluai expected to be involved somewhere in the backroom why do we need more hangers on??
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Mike wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:20 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:23 pm He's already involved with our recruitment & coaching staff plans for 2022, Its more advanced than the article suggests.
Does that explain Thornley coming back?
I would assume so, I don't know specifics but I know he is already involved in recruitment
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I for one welcome our new Wane overlord! :D
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I really don’t like the sound of this at all.

It’s going to be an excuse for getting sub standard first team coaches in.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:17 am I really don’t like the sound of this at all.

It’s going to be an excuse for getting sub standard first team coaches in.
Already got one of them.I am more concerned about getting sub standard players in :(