Team to face St Helens

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Team to face St Helens

Post by Caboosegg »

medlocke wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:16 pm Smith = Rocky Hampshire mk2

Time to move on to the next messiah from the academy :twisted:
Ha I've not seen anyone say anything other than Smith has lots of potential.

Hampshire apparently was a world beater before he'd played a game.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:46 am
josie andrews wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:46 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:17 pm No way is that a sin bin for KPP
Even Sam Tomkins said the same!
Watch the tackle in real time, there is no way KPP can pull out.
I said the same, also they tried to say it was a shoulder charge from KPP! If that’s the case he would have had to be kneeling down to shoulder charge Coote! 😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Ollie Partington hailed as Wigan Warriors' 'pack leader' by St Helens ace

Post by josie andrews »

Young prop Ollie Partington has been hailed as the leader of Wigan’s pack – by a player who knows a thing or two about front-row battles.

St Helens’ Alex Walmsley is widely regarded as one of the top England props. And ahead of the first derby of the year, he has hailed Partington’s mature and energetic displays at the coalface for the Warriors.

The 31-year-old said: “As a forward I look at the middle, and Oliver Partington is definitely leading their pack.

“He’s a young lad but he’s playing like a forward who is a lot older than he is - he’s an old head on his shoulders.

He’s the leader of their pack and to be honest I’ve been impressed with the way he’s been going.

“He’s a tough competitor, he epitomises a typical Wigan forward with his aggression and the way he carries the ball, and I’m sure he’ll look to lead the pack on Sunday

There are some good, homegrown Wigan forwards and it’s always a challenge down the middle.”

Wigan are without a win in four matches but Walmsley says St Helens – who haven’t played since a 6-2 loss to Warrington on June 17 – are not under-estimating their derby rivals.

“They’re not playing like they’d like to be playing but form goes out the window with these derbies,” he said.

They’re a very good side. These are the games which can turn a season, and I’m sure that’s the attitude Wigan will have.

“There’ll be a lot of emotion in their camp, if we don’t match their intensity we’ll be in for a tough game.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ce-3295548
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TravellingWarrior

Post by TravellingWarrior »

and therein lies one of our main problems, (no disrespect to Oli P in this regard)

but our pack leader should not be one of the young-uns!
The world is a book and those who don't travel read only one page.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Ollie P is all heart and effort and I rate him in his way but we can only have an Ollie P in the team on a regular basis if you have a couple of other props making good ground through the middle because he doesn’t. Unfortunately he doesn’t, Singleton doesn’t, Clubb doesn’t, Bullock refuses to (but could), Byrne doesn’t and Havard doesn’t always.

The front row is an absolute mess and has been for too long now.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:55 pm
Firestarter wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:49 pm
w.thomas wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:40 pm The worse part of that was the fact that saints weren’t even good, we gave them every point in that first half through errors or bad D. I’m not going to rant or we would be here all night. The folk that keep finding positives in such dire results though are getting me down, give it a rest please, the worlds not made out of unicorns and candy floss.
Brilliant and honest…… cant knock truth
At least we kept them to only one try in the second half 😉😉
:lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Mike wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:32 pm
w.thomas wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:40 pm The worse part of that was the fact that saints weren’t even good, we gave them every point in that first half through errors or bad D. I’m not going to rant or we would be here all night. The folk that keep finding positives in such dire results though are getting me down, give it a rest please, the worlds not made out of unicorns and candy floss.
Much better than a 24-0 default, and it could have been 24-14 if we'd taken all our pens under the sticks! The future is bright!
:lol:
Up the optimists!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

As I recall, at the time the ref was shouting "Milking!" at Marshall, Marshall was being man-handled by a Saints defender!
jobo

Post by jobo »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:44 pm

He was a world beater at academy level and judging by the number of clubs that wanted him to sign for them, was expected to make it at the highest level. Just didn't work out for him.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:44 pm

Smith will be ok meds….. its tried and tested tommy thats letting us down imo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE