Bibby has Re-signed.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Bibby has Re-signed.

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote:
Caboosegg wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:44 pm
Graham1 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:31 pm No better than Hanks. If our back line consists of both Thornley and Bibby then we are in big trouble.
Number 8 on tries scorer list for SL despite our appallingly bad June.

18th in meters made only Farrel ahead of him at wigan

Number 1 for clean breaks

Not in top twenty (all that shows on my phone) for tackles missed or error

I would say your comment is a load of cods wallop :)
[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Now just waiting for someone to says "Stats don't mean anything"!
Well that first stat gets top marks for amusement value. I think that must be the first time in RL history being 8th on the list of try scorers has been used as a positive recommendation.

If he was a prop forward then maybe it would be a positive.

Mind you it’s run a close second by being 18th at something else.

As to missed tackles the leader on that one is Sam Powell with 123 but then he also leads the tackle count on 599. If you look at the opta stats there is a strong correlation between those who made the most tackles having also missed the most. The fact Bibby figures in neither tackle statistic says you can’t draw any conclusion on this stat one way or the other except he’s unremarkable as far as tackles and missed tackles go.

I can’t find his actual stats on this as the betfred opta stats only show the top 20 players or bizarrely the bottom 20 if you reverse the sort. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

Anyway the stats aren’t meaningless but they do prove he’s bang average at best.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:38 pm
morley pie eater wrote:
Caboosegg wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:44 pm

Number 8 on tries scorer list for SL despite our appallingly bad June.

18th in meters made only Farrel ahead of him at wigan

Number 1 for clean breaks

Not in top twenty (all that shows on my phone) for tackles missed or error

I would say your comment is a load of cods wallop :)
[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Now just waiting for someone to says "Stats don't mean anything"!
Well that first stat gets top marks for amusement value. I think that must be the first time in RL history being 8th on the list of try scorers has been used as a positive recommendation.

If he was a prop forward then maybe it would be a positive.

Mind you it’s run a close second by being 18th at something else.

As to missed tackles the leader on that one is Sam Powell with 123 but then he also leads the tackle count on 599. If you look at the opta stats there is a strong correlation between those who made the most tackles having also missed the most. The fact Bibby figures in neither tackle statistic says you can’t draw any conclusion on this stat one way or the other except he’s unremarkable as far as tackles and missed tackles go.

I can’t find his actual stats on this as the betfred opta stats only show the top 20 players or bizarrely the bottom 20 if you reverse the sort. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

Anyway the stats aren’t meaningless but they do prove he’s bang average at best.
Can't help but disagree with you DaveO

No one is saying celebrate 8th spot but the constant negativity spouted about certain players just doesn’t add up.

If you look at the wingers he's joint 3rd on tries with Regan Grace. But hey he's 8th overall so must be crap.

He's 15th in meters made but he must be crap because that's the bottom end of the top 20 out of hundreds of players.

only Farrel is higher in a Wigan shirt.

If Bibby is average (and I'm by no means trying to suggest he's a great) then wigan have truly had it.

Bibby is a good player who a certain section of fans seem to dislike because he maybe came cheap from Salford.

Out of curiosity while you use tackles made and tackles missed how many other wingers have appeared on that list?
0 in the sl stat page I can see.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

I have no problem with someone coming from Salford. And I have no doubt the lad gives 100%. But regarding stats you need to look what’s behind them . He may have scored 8 tries but half of them were walk ins. And regards to being high on metres gained if French, Manfredi, Gildart, Marshall, Hardaker, Bateman and Smithies had played the same number of games I have no doubt Bibby would be way down the list.

I must admit I was surprised at the number of clean breaks but to be honest I cannot remember any leading to any Wigan tries. As to his errors might not make many when he does they are costly and all lead to us conceding tries. Just watch the last few games, Wakefield, drop ball, did not mark his winger. Saints drop ball over line, Warrington, out of position from kick through near line. Huddersfield tackled into touch led to Pryce try.

I accept we can’t have world beaters in every position, but next season I would much prefer Halsall be given more of a chance and I would be disappointed if players like Bibby block his progress. Similar applies with Powell I have no doubt we will resign him but does that mean we lose either Oneill or Bourouh because I thought they looked promising against Huddersfield. Everybody has their own opinion and favourites. IMO Bibby is no more than average and we should be looking for better.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

That's the problem now with Wigan they don't look higher than average or cheap players now.And I know it's a Salery capped game
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Isn’t Bibby a centre though? He was surely signed as a centre IIRC 🤔 He’s filled in on the wing because of injuries.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Whether you play centre or wing you should at least be able to do the basics catch and keep hold of the ball. Something he failed to do at both Saints and Wakefield and both led to tries. Bibby is not new to the game and i am sure he would have practised in training covering centre and wing at both Salford and Wigan over the years. I just think he lacks a little concentration and awareness. Please dont get me wrong he is not only one and as i said before i am sure he gives 100%. But as regards to resigning him I think we could have done better and hope he does not stop the progress of Halsall who looks far safer than Bibby under the high ball.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Graham1 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:26 pm Whether you play centre or wing you should at least be able to do the basics catch and keep hold of the ball. Something he failed to do at both Saints and Wakefield and both led to tries. Bibby is not new to the game and i am sure he would have practised in training covering centre and wing at both Salford and Wigan over the years. I just think he lacks a little concentration and awareness. Please dont get me wrong he is not only one and as i said before i am sure he gives 100%. But as regards to resigning him I think we could have done better and hope he does not stop the progress of Halsall who looks far safer than Bibby under the high ball.
I think Halsall will take over from Thornley if the signing rumours are true!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan