Signings

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Signings

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The two forward signings look good from what's been said about them and the whole of the pack next year looks a good combination of experience and youth. The two NRL guys are an unknown at present but with players like Bateman, Farrell and Isa, there is real experience to help the younger players.

As for the backs, I don't know what to expect but the one thing we should have is pace. With Field, French and Marshall we could have the three fastest players in SL. We know what Marshall brings and French is that off the cuff player we know what he's capable of but never know how what he's going to do next. Lam tells us Field is faster and a better ball player than Bevan and probably play half back. A 6 with ball playing skills and the pace of Field could be devastating and change the Wigan team especially behind a winning pack. Centre is an unknown but from what we know we have signed Thornley and have Bibby and Hardaker. Plus there was a suggestion Hankinson may return. If Hanks does wear the shirt again we will also have a top class goal kicker as well.

The signing of the two NRL props has transformed the look of the squad for next year. With hopefully a powerful pack and electric paced backs things are suddenly looking very promising.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Happy with the 2 prop signings, think both will go well for us, the lad from Sydney is a right unit. Going to go for a rare positive comment here and say we shouldn’t rubbish Miski until he’s had a fair crack of the whip, he could turn out to be a handy pick up. Mentioning Pat in the same sentence is silly because buying pretty much any winger available to us wouldn’t be able to live up to such a legend. Agree re thornley though, he’s not what we need and if we are signing him it’s completely pointless because hankinson is better and also would solve the conversion issue.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

w.thomas wrote:Happy with the 2 prop signings, think both will go well for us, the lad from Sydney is a right unit. Going to go for a rare positive comment here and say we shouldn’t rubbish Miski until he’s had a fair crack of the whip, he could turn out to be a handy pick up. Mentioning Pat in the same sentence is silly because buying pretty much any winger available to us wouldn’t be able to live up to such a legend. Agree re thornley though, he’s not what we need and if we are signing him it’s completely pointless because hankinson is better and also would solve the conversion issue.
What’s silly is the club going on about Miski as a former Manley winger which makes it sound as if he’s an NRL first grade player like Richards was. Like I said, it’s on a par with billing Clarke as the most destructive forward in SL.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Three signings have been announced on club website.
The two props and the winger
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Sorry Dave but I can't see where there implying anything. Just who he as played for and only says similar player to dom no mention of Richards. Unless I am reading it wrong only telling truths I personally can only see positives in all 3 signings only downer for me is the thornley for gildart one that would be poor exchange
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:23 am Sorry Dave but I can't see where there implying anything. Just who he as played for and only says similar player to dom no mention of Richards. Unless I am reading it wrong only telling truths I personally can only see positives in all 3 signings only downer for me is the thornley for gildart one that would be poor exchange
Miski can play centre he is a big unit and got pace.
bertina

Post by bertina »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:23 am Sorry Dave but I can't see where there implying anything. Just who he as played for and only says similar player to dom no mention of Richards. Unless I am reading it wrong only telling truths I personally can only see positives in all 3 signings only downer for me is the thornley for gildart one that would be poor exchange
I agree, just states the facts. why do some on here always try to put a negative spin on everything. ?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:09 pm The forwards look like excellent signings to me, especially as we have a lot of high quality young forwards. The backs, though... the idea that this cheapo will entertain a crowd used to seeing high class players is delusional. I would have preferred it if, when they announced Thornley and Diski, they made it clear that in salary cap and pandemic hit times, we have to sign cheap players who can fill a shirt, and invest elsewhere.
That would be excellent for their confidence wouldn't it.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

jaws1 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:22 am
How many games, at what level and when has he played centre?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:53 am
jaws1 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:22 am
How many games, at what level and when has he played centre?
Does it matter our other centre is Thornley who rubbish as he's left wigan once before, played at catalan but is at leigh. He must be better than that.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.