Signings

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Signings

Post by Firestarter »

Ash taylor is available apparently……. I think he would be a pretty decent signing for us…… im sure we would be aware
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:09 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:53 am
jaws1 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:22 am Miski can play centre he is a big unit and got pace.
How many games, at what level and when has he played centre?
Does it matter our other centre is Thornley who rubbish as he's left wigan once before, played at catalan but is at leigh. He must be better than that.
It does matter yes.

Too many people on this forum suggest position swaps on the fly.

Why even bother with positions.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

keptinthedarkfans wrote:Sorry Dave but I can't see where there implying anything. Just who he as played for and only says similar player to dom no mention of Richards. Unless I am reading it wrong only telling truths I personally can only see positives in all 3 signings only downer for me is the thornley for gildart one that would be poor exchange
I think you need to read the club statement. It makes it sound as if we signed and ex Manley first grader. It’s obvious the club is bigging him up and I thinks it’s naive to think otherwise.

A more honest approach would be we are signing a player from London who played five games from Manley.

This is not even a George Carmont type signing. Someone who was a bit older, largely unknown outside of Oz but a big hit with the fans of his Aussie club. He’s not, he’s similar to Thornley.

I don’t get what the problem is of calling a spade an spade when everyone can see the level signings like him and Thornley are at.
All of a sudden because Wigan have signed him it’s time to justify the signing. There is nothing to suggest Wigan are going to turn this player into a winger of the standard of Burgess or Davies.

Which begs another question from me which is with our academy production line and given we had Manfredi, Davies, Burgess and Marshall how come we ended up needing to sign a championship level 26 year old winger?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

It's Manly.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:35 pm
Which begs another question from me which is with our academy production line and given we had Manfredi, Davies, Burgess and Marshall how come we ended up needing to sign a championship level 26 year old winger?
So at a time when the club is already being criticised for piling too much on the shoulders of kids without sufficient support from experienced pros, you're suggesting bunging more untested kids into the side?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:18 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:09 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:53 am

How many games, at what level and when has he played centre?
Does it matter our other centre is Thornley who rubbish as he's left wigan once before, played at catalan but is at leigh. He must be better than that.
It does matter yes.

Too many people on this forum suggest position swaps on the fly.

Why even bother with positions.
Sorry I was taking the Michael
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:35 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote:Sorry Dave but I can't see where there implying anything. Just who he as played for and only says similar player to dom no mention of Richards. Unless I am reading it wrong only telling truths I personally can only see positives in all 3 signings only downer for me is the thornley for gildart one that would be poor exchange
I think you need to read the club statement. It makes it sound as if we signed and ex Manley first grader. It’s obvious the club is bigging him up and I thinks it’s naive to think otherwise.

A more honest approach would be we are signing a player from London who played five games from Manley.

This is not even a George Carmont type signing. Someone who was a bit older, largely unknown outside of Oz but a big hit with the fans of his Aussie club. He’s not, he’s similar to Thornley.

I don’t get what the problem is of calling a spade an spade when everyone can see the level signings like him and Thornley are at.
All of a sudden because Wigan have signed him it’s time to justify the signing. There is nothing to suggest Wigan are going to turn this player into a winger of the standard of Burgess or Davies.

I think you reading what you want there DaveO, he is an Ex NRL player who has score 12 in 13 games for London. If they had left that off and put London broncos winger signs for Wigan you can guarantee the same complaints we see about Thornley would pop up.

He's a championship player, London are rubbish etc.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pemps

Post by pemps »

jaws1 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:22 am
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:23 am Sorry Dave but I can't see where there implying anything. Just who he as played for and only says similar player to dom no mention of Richards. Unless I am reading it wrong only telling truths I personally can only see positives in all 3 signings only downer for me is the thornley for gildart one that would be poor exchange
Miski can play centre he is a big unit and got pace.
Pat Richards was a big unit and had pace. Turns out he was a dogsh!t centre.
Karl Pryce was a big unit and had pace. He was dogsh!t at everything.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Double post, through useless edit “skills”.
Last edited by Exiled Wiganer on Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:45 pm I would never dream of not buying our season tickets - the ghosts of Exileds Past would haunt me forever if I did - but there comes a point at which you have to wonder whether the club would be better off not announcing such hopeless signings. Diski for Manfredi is so tragic as to make me despair. They would be far better bracketing him as a cheap squad signing a la KPP (who is excellent).

Oh, and I once visited Manly, so am happy to be described as having links to Manly. While I was there I saw a Steve Menzies cake - presumably to scare the kids?