Signings

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Signings

Post by morley pie eater »

jaws1 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:22 am
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:23 am Sorry Dave but I can't see where there implying anything. Just who he as played for and only says similar player to dom no mention of Richards. Unless I am reading it wrong only telling truths I personally can only see positives in all 3 signings only downer for me is the thornley for gildart one that would be poor exchange
Miski can play centre he is a big unit and got pace.
Is there any evidence that he's played centre, or is this another case of fans moving players around, in this case before the ink is even dry on the contract?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Miski's signed as a winger. Providing him with a quality centre will be the interesting bit.
We don't have to sign a top class centre but develop one who is on the books or about to sign.

It now seems that most of the criticism of IL/KR has quietened down as most of us are very happy with the new signings and the look of the squad for 2022. The pack looks formidable and the backs have youth, experience together with pace to burn.

Things are looking quite tidy for next year now. I wonder if we could persuade one or both of the props to come over this year.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

All depends on whether Field and Smith combine. If it doesn’t work out we will need a quality half back. Hope we don’t lose Bouroh or O’Neil, if Powell is resigned. Personally rather run with the young guys and save some salary cap and put it to better use. We cant carry 3 hookers though.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:35 pm
jaws1 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:22 am
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:23 am Sorry Dave but I can't see where there implying anything. Just who he as played for and only says similar player to dom no mention of Richards. Unless I am reading it wrong only telling truths I personally can only see positives in all 3 signings only downer for me is the thornley for gildart one that would be poor exchange
Miski can play centre he is a big unit and got pace.
Is there any evidence that he's played centre, or is this another case of fans moving players around, in this case before the ink is even dry on the contract?
Manfredi into the forwards is a personal favourite.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

His centre at London is Hanks. As a combination they don’t appear to badly, granted it’s only the championship.
pedro

Post by pedro »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:35 pm
jaws1 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:22 am Miski can play centre he is a big unit and got pace.
played 13 in his pre wigan days as standard
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:35 pm
jaws1 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:22 am Miski can play centre he is a big unit and got pace.
Had he been able to continue his career I’m convinced he would’ve ended up there in the long term. There is a history in the game of powerfully built wingers/centres moving further in field as their careers progressed, especially if they started to have injury problems and lost pace. We’ve got one ourselves in Tony Clubb, Ben Westwood was another and more recently Aaron Murphy moved in to the forwards at Huddersfield. The lad at Saints (Mautautia) played on the wing for the Aussies as an 18 year old.

Players do move positions ultimately. Not all suggestions may be overly sensible but it isn’t a closed shop as history proves.
bertina

Post by bertina »

Graham1 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:34 pm All depends on whether Field and Smith combine. If it doesn’t work out we will need a quality half back. Hope we don’t lose Bouroh or O’Neil, if Powell is resigned. Personally rather run with the young guys and save some salary cap and put it to better use. We cant carry 3 hookers though.
If Field and Smith don’t combine, you suggest we need another half back.
Well what’s to say the “ other “ half would combine well.
It’s always an unknown wether a new signing will work out or not.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:
DaveO wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:35 pm
Which begs another question from me which is with our academy production line and given we had Manfredi, Davies, Burgess and Marshall how come we ended up needing to sign a championship level 26 year old winger?
So at a time when the club is already being criticised for piling too much on the shoulders of kids without sufficient support from experienced pros, you're suggesting bunging more untested kids into the side?
I am questioning why when we had four first team wingers very recently and an academy production line we have ended up having to bring in a championship level player.

With four first grade wingers the club should have been able to bring through one of the young players giving them game time but somehow by next season we ended up with having to bring in a replacement for Manfredi. If Wigan had gone and signed a top class winger I’d have no real issue but I don’t understand why a 26 year old championship player was even on the radar.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:47 pm
moto748 wrote:
DaveO wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:35 pm
Which begs another question from me which is with our academy production line and given we had Manfredi, Davies, Burgess and Marshall how come we ended up needing to sign a championship level 26 year old winger?
So at a time when the club is already being criticised for piling too much on the shoulders of kids without sufficient support from experienced pros, you're suggesting bunging more untested kids into the side?
I am questioning why when we had four first team wingers very recently and an academy production line we have ended up having to bring in a championship level player.

With four first grade wingers the club should have been able to bring through one of the young players giving them game time but somehow by next season we ended up with having to bring in a replacement for Manfredi. If Wigan had gone and signed a top class winger I’d have no real issue but I don’t understand why a 26 year old championship player was even on the radar.
I wasn't happy to see Tom Davies go. However, I assume that keeping 4 "first grade" wingers wasn't an option, given their wages/expectations and the salary cap.

Then again, like most fans I don't know how much each of Burgess, Davies, Marshall and Manfredi was earning. Neither do I know what any of them was like in training, or what effect they each had on team morale, or any other factors that influenced the club's decision to keep Marshall and Manfredi, but let Davies and Burgess go.

I don't think anyone could have predicted the injuries, or the position we are now in. So I'd suggest that it's with hindsight that you're able to ask your question.

And to describe Miski as "a championship level player" is disingenuous. He currently plays in the championship, but so did Alex Walmesley and Joe Bullock to name but two. And are our young lads "academy level players" because they played in the academy?

Somebody clearly thinks that Miski has the potential to be more than championship level. Time will tell, but implying that anyone who plays in the championship is therefore not of Super League standard is an insult to lots of good players.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐