Signings

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Signings

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:20 pm
DaveO wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:47 pm
moto748 wrote:
So at a time when the club is already being criticised for piling too much on the shoulders of kids without sufficient support from experienced pros, you're suggesting bunging more untested kids into the side?
I am questioning why when we had four first team wingers very recently and an academy production line we have ended up having to bring in a championship level player.

With four first grade wingers the club should have been able to bring through one of the young players giving them game time but somehow by next season we ended up with having to bring in a replacement for Manfredi. If Wigan had gone and signed a top class winger I’d have no real issue but I don’t understand why a 26 year old championship player was even on the radar.
I wasn't happy to see Tom Davies go. However, I assume that keeping 4 "first grade" wingers wasn't an option, given their wages/expectations and the salary cap.

Then again, like most fans I don't know how much each of Burgess, Davies, Marshall and Manfredi was earning. Neither do I know what any of them was like in training, or what effect they each had on team morale, or any other factors that influenced the club's decision to keep Marshall and Manfredi, but let Davies and Burgess go.

I don't think anyone could have predicted the injuries, or the position we are now in. So I'd suggest that it's with hindsight that you're able to ask your question.

And to describe Miski as "a championship level player" is disingenuous. He currently plays in the championship, but so did Alex Walmesley and Joe Bullock to name but two. And are our young lads "academy level players" because they played in the academy?

Somebody clearly thinks that Miski has the potential to be more than championship level. Time will tell, but implying that anyone who plays in the championship is therefore not of Super League standard is an insult to lots of good players.
We knew pre-season that we had a problem with the fitness of our wingers but action was not forthcoming. When Tom left he was the lowest paid of the four wingers and perhaps the one with most potential.
pedro

Post by pedro »

hes not as good as marshy
Charriots Offiah

pedro wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:13 am hes not as good as marshy
He is this season.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:22 am
pedro wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:13 am hes not as good as marshy
He is this season.
ok, but wasnt last when he was coming from an injury like marshy is....and wasnt at the club at the time
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

The big mistake was bringing Burgess back. We didn’t need him and was nothing like the player on his return.
Charriots Offiah

Graham1 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:56 am The big mistake was bringing Burgess back. We didn’t need him and was nothing like the player on his return.
100%
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:00 am
DaveO wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:47 pm
I am questioning why when we had four first team wingers very recently and an academy production line we have ended up having to bring in a championship level player.

With four first grade wingers the club should have been able to bring through one of the young players giving them game time but somehow by next season we ended up with having to bring in a replacement for Manfredi. If Wigan had gone and signed a top class winger I’d have no real issue but I don’t understand why a 26 year old championship player was even on the radar.
I wasn't happy to see Tom Davies go. However, I assume that keeping 4 "first grade" wingers wasn't an option, given their wages/expectations and the salary cap.

Then again, like most fans I don't know how much each of Burgess, Davies, Marshall and Manfredi was earning. Neither do I know what any of them was like in training, or what effect they each had on team morale, or any other factors that influenced the club's decision to keep Marshall and Manfredi, but let Davies and Burgess go.

I don't think anyone could have predicted the injuries, or the position we are now in. So I'd suggest that it's with hindsight that you're able to ask your question.

And to describe Miski as "a championship level player" is disingenuous. He currently plays in the championship, but so did Alex Walmesley and Joe Bullock to name but two. And are our young lads "academy level players" because they played in the academy?

Somebody clearly thinks that Miski has the potential to be more than championship level. Time will tell, but implying that anyone who plays in the championship is therefore not of Super League standard is an insult to lots of good players.
We knew pre-season that we had a problem with the fitness of our wingers but action was not forthcoming. When Tom left he was the lowest paid of the four wingers and perhaps the one with most potential.
Didn't Tom Davies choose to leave because he understood he would be down the pecking order or something to do with the style of play?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:13 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:00 am

Didn't Tom Davies choose to leave because he understood he would be down the pecking order or something to do with the style of play?
And because he was on low pay?
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Bringing Burgess back wasn't such a bad thing - he scored tries v Cronulla and almost resued a Challenge Cup v Hull.
His form did dip and we got rid at the right time I'd say. Tom Davies was a worse loss IMO, he made hard yards out of our twenty and finished well.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

We might all agree we need another half but I honestly can’t see us getting one. Reckon they will role the dice with smith and field next season and if things aren’t working out look to recruit later in the season. Think I’d rather not sign anyone before we make the standard of signing that Danny Richardson is.