Wigan Warriors recall Championship loanee ahead of Huddersfield Giants clash

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The youngster will go straight into the Warriors squad for tonight's game.

Amir Bourouh has been recalled by Wigan Warriors ahead of the club's clash with Huddersfield Giants.

The hooker has spent the season on loan at Halifax Panthers where he has made an impression for his hometown club, playing regularly for the Championship side.

But Rugby League Live understands the Warriors have now recalled the youngster on the eve of their clash with Huddersfield and will be instantly in contention to play against the Giants.

Wigan only named a 20-man squad for the trip to West Yorkshire, leaving a spot vacant in the squad which Bourouh is set to take.

The 20-year-old, who is off-contract at the end of the season, made a handful of appearances for the club last season before being loaned out for more first-grade experience.

But after impressing for Fax, who are currently fourth in the Championship, he could be handed his latest opportunity tonight.

Sam Powell and Brad O'Neil have been playing hooker in recent games, though Powell did receive treatment for an injury in the win over the Giants last week.

The Warriors are looking for a second-straight win, which would help consolidate fifth position in the Super League table.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... n-21068029
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Re: Wigan Warriors recall Championship loanee ahead of Huddersfield Giants clash

Post by nathan_rugby »

Do we assume Powell isn't fit enough to play this and the club want the ability to pick from O'Neil and Bourouh?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Shaun1967

Re: Wigan Warriors recall Championship loanee ahead of Huddersfield Giants clash

Post by Shaun1967 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:48 pm Do we assume Powell isn't fit enough to play this and the club want the ability to pick from O'Neil and Bourouh?
If Powell isn't fit I would pick both.
They're still only young so will benefit from being spelled.
It will also be interesting to compare how the dynamic of the team changes with each player at HB.
I must admit, I'm impressed with Brad O'Neill from the small amount I've seen of him so far.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

But still no Hank recall :o
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
bertina

Post by bertina »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:24 pm But still no Hank recall :o
Obviously rated higher by some on here than either of our last 2 coaches.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Hank cannot be recalled because Wigan did not put it in the loan agreement that he could. Which was a stupid thing to do as Gildart was ready injured and would not play for months. Just about sums us up about now.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Pretty sure Sam’s mrs has just had a baby yesterday so that could be the reason he’s not in the side
moto748

Post by moto748 »

w.thomas wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:42 pm Pretty sure Sam’s mrs has just had a baby yesterday so that could be the reason he’s not in the side
I think we can allow some paternity leave, can't we?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:
w.thomas wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:42 pm Pretty sure Sam’s mrs has just had a baby yesterday so that could be the reason he’s not in the side
I think we can allow some paternity leave, can't we?
Definitely….

Edit: I thought he was injured anyway?
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

bertina wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:34 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:24 pm But still no Hank recall :o
Obviously rated higher by some on here than either of our last 2 coaches.
So you think our current coach knows what he is doing?