The 'tricky part' of Jai Field's Wigan Warriors return

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: The 'tricky part' of Jai Field's Wigan Warriors return

Post by morley pie eater »

On the face of it, I can see what you're all saying. Now I know nowt re Lam's intentions or Bevan's frame of mind, but it just might be possible that Lam is deliberately trying to provoke a reaction from French: "What? He's better than me, is he? I'll show you...."

The Alex Ferguson school of man management?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:33 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:48 pm Good news!

As a founder member of the happy clapper club, I'm looking forward to us having a much stronger squad to choose from by 20th August. That's when our tough run of fixtures begins with the Derby match.

Bring it on!
(And me being the chairperson & original rose tinted glasses wearer) 😉😉

I agree can’t wait to see him play in real life 😊
We're an endangered species these days, Josie :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:44 pm On the face of it, I can see what you're all saying. Now I know nowt re Lam's intentions or Bevan's frame of mind, but it just might be possible that Lam is deliberately trying to provoke a reaction from French: "What? He's better than me, is he? I'll show you...."

Bit pointless now considering he’s out for the season.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
pedro

Post by pedro »

Field is a better version of bevan, be a great FB is they tried it
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote:On the face of it, I can see what you're all saying. Now I know nowt re Lam's intentions or Bevan's frame of mind, but it just might be possible that Lam is deliberately trying to provoke a reaction from French: "What? He's better than me, is he? I'll show you...."

Lam isn’t that clever.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

pedro wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:47 pm Field is a better version of bevan, be a great FB is they tried it
As I said upthread, their respective NRL records don't really reflect that.

Not saying Field can't be good, though, we'll have to give a lad a chance.
pedro

Post by pedro »

moto748 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:02 am
pedro wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:47 pm Field is a better version of bevan, be a great FB is they tried it

Records dont count really, Bevan got plenty of starts until Gutherson arrived and it went downhill, Field came into a team will established stars in it
pemps

Post by pemps »

moto748 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:02 am

But you're comparing someone who predominantly played wing in the NRL (French) with someone who predominantly played half in your comparison. On that basis Bibby is better than Hastings.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

My recollection is that French played a fair bit of full-back at Parra. If the Eels preferred Gutherson to him, considering Gutho is what, the fourth or fifth best full-back on the planet, I don't see that reflects that badly on French. And Field was no more able to break into the first team side regularly at the Dragons than he was at Parramatta. But, as I said before, I'm looking forward to seeing Field play.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I don't see Jai playing fullback next season if Bevan and Zak are fit. He's been signed to play at 6 and the key for me this season is to make certain that he and Harry Smith get some games together because they are going to be our halfback pairing next season. If it becomes apparent that they can't operate effectively together there is still some time for alternative plans but we don't want to be making that decision part way through next season. Jai doesn't have to show that he's a world beater this season but it would be reassuring to see enough potential in a partnership with Harry. Hastngs is our best halfback by far but he won't be with us next season so, if necessary, he should make way for the other two if it becomes clear that we can't challenge for a playoff spot.