The 'tricky part' of Jai Field's Wigan Warriors return

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

The 'tricky part' of Jai Field's Wigan Warriors return

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam believes Jai Field can turn out to be an amazing signing for Wigan - but says the Aussie won't be under any pressure when he returns.

Field, who joined in the winter from Parramatta, suffered a serious hamstring tear during his debut in March.

The utility-back is deep into his rehab now and targeting a return to action in four weeks.

His availability would come at the perfect time for Lam, ahead of the home-straight to the play-offs.

But he won't burden the 23-year-old with any expectations after such a long lay-off.

Lam, who brought in electric full-back Bevan French late into 2019, said: "I think Jai has the potential to do things Bevan does.

"He's quicker than Bevan and he's more skillful than Bevan, he's more of a halfback - all of that fits well with us.

"The tricky part is he won't have played for five months.

“ It's going to take him six weeks to get to his best, so we have to manage that process and make sure we don't reinjure his hamstring, and hopefully he finds his form quickly."

Elsewhere on the injury front, Lam expects Zak Hardaker (neck), Morgan Smithies (ankle) and Dom Manfredi (knee) to be available within the next two weeks.

John Bateman, who twisted his ankle playing for England against the All Stars, may need an additional week before he is back in the mix.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rn-3313052
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wes

Re: The 'tricky part' of Jai Field's Wigan Warriors return

Post by Wes »

We could do with having a look at him in the halves with smith, Hastings to 9 to see how he goes there, if it looks like a fit we can spend our Hastings cap elswhere in the squad, if not we’ll need a half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Good news!

As a founder member of the happy clapper club, I'm looking forward to us having a much stronger squad to choose from by 20th August. That's when our tough run of fixtures begins with the Derby match.

Bring it on!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:48 pm Good news!

As a founder member of the happy clapper club, I'm looking forward to us having a much stronger squad to choose from by 20th August. That's when our tough run of fixtures begins with the Derby match.

Bring it on!
(And me being the chairperson & original rose tinted glasses wearer) 😉😉

I agree can’t wait to see him play in real life 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

He’s quicker and more skilful then Bevan!? I bet Bevan will love reading that ;)
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

Thought exactly the same . Can’t wait to see what Jai can do , but Lam seriously needs a lesson in man management skills 😤 Gob****e
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

up the junction wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:34 pm Thought exactly the same . Can’t wait to see what Jai can do , but Lam seriously needs a lesson in man management skills 😤 Gob****e
That door closed way back, since Lam came to the club, he has been the architect of the downward spiral due to his p**s poor lack of man management, can't print what I think about him 😡
pedro

Post by pedro »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:51 pm He’s quicker and more skilful then Bevan!? I bet Bevan will love reading that ;)
saw him run away from french in the 9's, hes got crazy pace
pedro

Post by pedro »

I think hed be great at 1`, get Zak back at centre and let the forwards play in the forwards, he'd be a great ball handling 1
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Bet french is desperate to rush back after comments like that. Seriously you can’t make it up. Such a shame because in the future some people will remember him as an incompetent coach and not a brilliant former player. Fresh blood is needed badly