Squad v Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Squad v Wakefield

Post by DaveO »

Firestarter wrote:Sounded like hastings did all the creating
He did. 6,7 & 9 didn't offer much particularly in the first half.

Hastings was the best player on the pitch by a mile.

Overall the final score flattered Wakefield. The ref more or less marched them up the pitch for their tries though I think it was Isa who gave stupid penalty away but I can't remember if that gave the position to score.

Wigan's defence was outstanding but in the first half it felt like Déjà vu. Unable to score enough points despite pressure but then Hastings popped up with some great play and Bibby finished very well for his tries.

Faz pretending to be a half back with his grubber kick for Shorrocks try was probably the moment of the match.

Overall much more enjoyable to watch than recent performances and no major hold ups on the way home!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
fozzieskem

Re: Squad v Wakefield

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:15 pm

Overall the final score flattered Wakefield. The ref more or less marched them up the pitch for their tries though I think it was Isa who gave stupid penalty away but I can't remember if that gave the position to score.

Wigan's defence was outstanding but in the first half it felt like Déjà vu. Unable to score enough points despite pressure but then Hastings popped up with some great play and Bibby finished very well for his tries.

Faz pretending to be a half back with his grubber kick for Shorrocks try was probably the moment of the match.

Overall much more enjoyable to watch than recent performances and major hold ups on the way home!

Pretty much sums the game up Hastings is excellent and is growing into the fullback roll he is class and will be missed badly when he goes.

How worrying though there was such a small crowd not just for Wigan but the sport in general as I suspected there wasn’t a March back to house full boards but virtually no increase it seems on the restrictions.

Going to be a long way back for the sport
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:49 pm Only my second live game this season :D.

Overall, I think it was the shot of confidence both fans and players need......especially for Wire.

Excellent play by Jacko tonight, looked like Sam T tonight playing from 1.

Mitch Clark is definitely worthy of a place in the 17 and I'd like to see O'Neil start at 9 going forwards.

Usual good performances from Faz, Isa and KPP!

With all respect to Wakey, we need to raise everything though 10 - 20% as Wire are clearly not Wakey.

Anyone see the angry Wigan fans in the Boston Stand not long after Shorrocks scored :lol: .

Which Wigan fans??
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:15 pm

Overall much more enjoyable to watch than recent performances and major hold ups on the way home!

Pretty much sums the game up Hastings is excellent and is growing into the fullback roll he is class and will be missed badly when he goes.

How worrying though there was such a small crowd not just for Wigan but the sport in general as I suspected there wasn’t a March back to house full boards but virtually no increase it seems on the restrictions.

It was of course Clubb not Isa who gave the daft penalty away for pushing the kicker. Might have to join moto at specsavers. He might cop another ban for that given the way the disciplinary is going these days.

Mind you he should be joined by a few Wakefield players. At least two shots and how the touch judge missed the punch on the Wigan player on the deck I don’t know. If the video caught that the Wakey player is going to miss a few games.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam hails Wigan Warriors' winning performance against Wakefield Trinity

Wigan head coach Lam was impressed with what he saw from his side as they made it three wins in a row; "I thought that first 60 minutes was as good as we have been this year," he said

Adrian Lam felt Wigan Warriors' performance in their 25-12 win over Wakefield Trinity in Super League was the best they had produced all season.

The Warriors led 9-0 at half-time with Jake Bibby grabbing a brace of tries, while three more tries after the break - another for Bibby and one each for Joe Shorrocks and Liam Marshall - saw them lead 25-0.

The Warriors then seemed to take their foot off the gas and allowed Trinity to score two late tries, but Lam was not concerned about that at all.

“ I thought that first 60 minutes was as good as we have been this year," Lam said. "There was a 20-minute period there when we were back to who we want to be as a team. That's the first sign we have had all year.

"The last 15 minutes, I am not going to take any notice of. I had got all our subs on and had rested as many players as I could, so we were out of sync a little at the end."

Wakefield coach Chris Chester admitted it was a frustrating night for his side.

Although he was upset with some of the individual performances of his senior players, he believes the effort is definitely there but they need to be a lot smarter if they are to pick up more wins this season.

I thought it was an even contest in the first half, I didn't think there was a lot between the two teams to be honest," Chester said. "The difference tonight was the guy at full-back (Jackson Hastings). He caused us a lot of problems.

"I am really disappointed with the start of that second half. I don't think it was anything exceptional that Wigan did, I just think (we had) errors after half-time from some senior guys. That's what is really disappointed.

“ We touched the ball once in nine sets and they went and scored three tries off that one error.

"That was disappointing. We played more direct in the second period of that second half. We are just a really frustrated group at the moment."

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... ld-trinity
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Never has a good word to say about any team! Especially if they’ve been beat!!
Great grandad Harry ball

Post by Great grandad Harry ball »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:35 pm
fozzieskem wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:15 pm He did. 6,7 & 9 didn't offer much particularly in the first half.

It was of course Clubb not Isa who gave the daft penalty away for pushing the kicker. Might have to join moto at specsavers. He might cop another ban for that given the way the disciplinary is going these days.

Mind you he should be joined by a few Wakefield players. At least two shots and how the touch judge missed the punch on the Wigan player on the deck I don’t know. If the video caught that the Wakey player is going to miss a few games.
Wakefield player was 12 Tanginoa. Most in South stand saw it - he seemed to go missing after his 'brave' assault..........and wasn't seen much after- not that I expect the disciplinary to do anything.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

On the upside, this is a game where I won't mind watching the full game back again (some recent performances have been too painful for that).

But really, if

“ I thought that first 60 minutes was as good as we have been this year," Lam said.

is true (and it might be), isn't that, as they used to say, a scathing indictment?

I don't know whether it was a punch (far side of the field), but I remember there was what looked like a cheap shot on the floor; you'd think the disciplinary would have a look at that.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

It was on Ethan Havard & how the ref or the touch judge missed it is beyond me. But I thought it was number 11 who was the culprit. Maybe i need to go to spec savers too 😉

Dirty cheap play & fatfita is as bad as Chester, does nothing but moan!
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:35 pm
fozzieskem wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:15 pm He did. 6,7 & 9 didn't offer much particularly in the first half.

The penalty against Clubb was ridiculous, the sport has gone soft.